Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daggerfall sound

Need some help here. Trying to play Daggerfall and the sound is not working properly. I have tried both with the gog.com version and the other popular fan version, both have the same issue. I am trying to play on an old computer using Windows XP and a SoundBlaster sound card.

The sound works but during movies/cut-scenes including the opening intro movie, it is extremely choppy, making human voices almost unrecognizable and everything else very annoying.

I've tried common Internet fixes, such as playing around with the DosBox settings. There are two sound settings, one for Midi and one for Digital. The midi one seems to work just fine, but the digital souds like crap regardless of what settings I choose. I feel like it might also be more of a framerate issue, since a bad framerate might cause this kind of choppiness.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The sound works but during movies/cut-scenes including the opening intro movie, it is extremely choppy, making human voices almost unrecognizable and everything else very annoying.
There are only four cut-scenes in the entirety of Daggerfall, including the opening movie (the other three are very late). :M You can easily watch the opening movie through other means, and proceed with playing the game.

V_K

Arcane
There are only four cut-scenes in the entirety of Daggerfall, including the opening movie (the other three are very late). :M You can easily watch the opening movie through other means, and proceed with playing the game.

Aren't Daedra also technically video clips? Or they contain no important sound? I don't remember exactly.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

Aren't Daedra also technically video clips? Or they contain no important sound? I don't remember exactly.
I'm pretty sure that they are essentially pictures with some audio playing over them, but I may be misremembering.

Ok, I figured it out, although that doesn't really help me. Was playing around with DosBox config settings inside the gog daggerfall folder. It's the CPU cycles. By default, they are set to 50k which causes the videos to be chopped up. If I set it way down, to say 6k or so, the videos play just fine.

However, it appears that Bethesda was even then planting the seeds of its coding prowess. While lowering the cycles fixes the videos, it makes the gameplay slow down to an unbearable crawl. So I can have gameplay or videos, but not both. :(

Might take the advice above and just watch the videos on youtube, I guess.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
There should be a config line to change the cycles from fixed to variable or smth like that, then you can change the cycles variably as you play. That's how I do Arena.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

If you mean the Daedric Princes, they're just sprites; you can even view them like everything else using the Daggerfall Explorer (Texture Files --> Daedra Lords [TEXTURE.175]). The other Daedra are, of course, sprites just like any other monster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom