Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Lemming42

Arcane
Unless you installed any mods, the game looks exactly like it did in 1996, albeit at higher resolution. There's plenty of very awkward and ugly 3D models all over the place in the original.

The UI is identical too. If you want the Doom-esque status bar with your character's portrait that takes up the bottom part of the screen, I think you can get that back, but the cleaner version DF Unity uses by default was available in the original game too.

Luzur

Good Sir
I believe i read that interkarma will implement easy music modding, so you just drop those songs into a folder and it will be in the game.

Open Path

Learned
Unless you installed any mods, the game looks exactly like it did in 1996, albeit at higher resolution. There's plenty of very awkward and ugly 3D models all over the place in the original.

No, with the same resolution statues, light sources or altars look different. In the first dungeon the most obvious example are medium size statues as those on the third room from cave start. With higher resolutions the contrast between flats -npcs, enemies or loot- and 3d models and its textures is far more ankward than original DF examples. However this is not my main concern, but modders priorities -and their tastes and gaming experience...- and specially the original UI/movement lack.

The UI is identical too. If you want the Doom-esque status bar with your character's portrait that takes up the bottom part of the screen, I think you can get that back, but the cleaner version DF Unity uses by default was available in the original game too.

Doom-esque? Cleaner version? That UI with shortcuts for map, spells, rest, cursor modes, status and other info is the default DF mode and the way in which played vast majority of Daggerfall players before Morrowind -and probably later, until Oblivion or Skyrim release-, a new version of Arena UI, influenced by Ultima Underworld and other single character rpgs released before Doom -as Legends of Valour an explicit influence in TES-, which also were inspired by blobbers and other party-based rpgs since mids 80s.

Daggerfall without classic UI and specially without cursor mode is not Daggerfall.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

No, with the same resolution statues, light sources or altars look different. In the first dungeon the most obvious example are medium size statues as those on the third room from cave start. With higher resolutions the contrast between flats -npcs, enemies or loot- and 3d models and its textures is far more ankward than original DF examples. However this is not my main concern, but modders priorities -and their tastes and gaming experience...- and specially the original UI/movement lack.

Doom-esque? Cleaner version? That UI with shortcuts for map, spells, rest, cursor modes, status and other info is the default DF mode and the way in which played vast majority of Daggerfall players before Morrowind -and probably later, until Oblivion or Skyrim release-, a new version of Arena UI, influenced by Ultima Underground and other single character rpgs released before Doom -as Legends of Valour an explicit influence in TES-, which also were inspired by blobbers and other party-based rpgs since mids 80s.

Daggerfall without classic UI and specially without cursor mode is not Daggerfall.
If it doesn't look like the original daggerfall then submit a bug report with screenshot comparisons.
It's meant to be a 1:1 reproduction by default

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just a complaint, if the game is complete and there are only bugs to fix, they should change the name to beta, many players are going to see alpha and imagine a horrible glitch fest, at least, I did before I got to know more about this.

Üstad

Arcane

Thanks for giving me a chance to dislike this video.

I played and finished daggerfall unity a few months ago. It's really playable, I doubt I would be give daggerfall a chance with all clunky controls. The game right now is so smooth and they added soulbound enchantment as well. Anyone who has interest over elder scrolls should play this. Seeing alpha stage of the lore is also a nice thing.

Deleted Member 16721

How is exploration in DF? Is it easily recognized as proc gen or are there some handplaced things too? Lots of loot and secrets, tons of quests and things like that? I'm very intrigued but don't know much about it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's like '99% of the time it's bland and easily seen to be procedurally generated but the 1% when you discover a daedra cult or some witches scheming in a nondescript dungeon keeps you interested'

Exploring the 'regular' dungeons stops being fun after a while; that is, the fun changes, since you recognize the dungeon chunks and know where the glueing points are, which makes the thing so much more effective. The plot dungeons are amazing.

Funposter

Arcane
How is exploration in DF? Is it easily recognized as proc gen or are there some handplaced things too? Lots of loot and secrets, tons of quests and things like that? I'm very intrigued but don't know much about it.

have you thought about downloading the free video game and just trying it for yourself instead of asking inane questions?

index.php

Arcane
Haven't you already asked this like a half a year ago?

Codex Year of the Donut
Haven't you already asked this like a half a year ago?
He fried his brain with drugs, his entire life is basically groundhog day except with bethedsa games.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Never played the original Daggerfall, decided to try this one. Having fun so far.
I decided not to bother and just choose the preset mage class. That first attempt was painful, but i somehow managed to beat the first dungeon.
After a while i decided to retry as a preset thief. Everything was fine and dandy at first, but right now things are a bit difficult and i am struggling even with a single bandit. Can't even sneak on anyone anymore for that attempt to backstab. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.

My waifu
k7uWBcO.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The main quest will take you to a number of dungeons that were not created using procedural-generation, or at least not entirely, and those include a number of puzzles and secrets. However, there are vast number of other dungeons in the game, to which you will be sent by the procedurally-generated quests obtained from guilds or just random people (or even 2 or 3 parts of the main quest), and these dungeons are completely procedurally-generated.

Never played the original Daggerfall, decided to try this one. Having fun so far.
I decided not to bother and just choose the preset mage class. That first attempt was painful, but i somehow managed to beat the first dungeon.
After a while i decided to retry as a preset thief. Everything was fine and dandy at first, but right now things are a bit difficult and i am struggling even with a single bandit. Can't even sneak on anyone anymore for that attempt to backstab. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.
I applaud the incline, but under no circumstances should you play Daggerfall using a preset character class rather than creating your own custom class. Glancing at the UESP page on preset classes, it seems that the Thief class is forbidden to use any armor other than leather, which means you are not only prohibited from using chain and plate armor but also all of the better armor types (e.g. elven, mithril) since they are classified as plate armor.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I applaud the incline, but under no circumstances should you play Daggerfall using a preset character class rather than creating your own custom class. Glancing at the UESP page on preset classes, it seems that the Thief class is forbidden to use any armor other than leather, which means you are not only prohibited from using chain and plate armor but also all of the better armor types (e.g. elven, mithril) since they are classified as plate armor.
No wonder i feel so damn fragile, rising 1 level was enough apparently to render leather obsolete.

There is a lot of little things i like compared to the next elder scroll installments, like being able to jump and scale the city walls. Or having the need to ask the passerby for directions using your trained thug tongue, makes those social skills into something that you use with a bit of frequency. The huge sense of scale is also nice.
It's not that fun to barge into the random houses for some robbing action though, normal houses rarely have anything that's worth more than some 25g clothes.
I will probably try some custom battle mage variant as a next character, is it worth investing into more than one melee weapon type?

Deleted Member 16721

The main quest will take you to a number of dungeons that were not created using procedural-generation, or at least not entirely, and those include a number of puzzles and secrets. However, there are vast number of other dungeons in the game, to which you will be sent by the procedurally-generated quests obtained from guilds or just random people (or even 2 or 3 parts of the main quest), and these dungeons are completely procedurally-generated.

What about overworld exploration? Is there ever any time where you just explore by foot in the huge world? Or do you just fast travel to your destination mostly? And are there legendary artifacts to find? Books to read? Lots of TES lore to delve into? Daedric quests to complete?

index.php

Arcane
What about overworld exploration? Is there ever any time where you just explore by foot in the huge world? Or do you just fast travel to your destination mostly? And are there legendary artifacts to find? Books to read? Lots of TES lore to delve into? Daedric quests to complete?

But at least you can spot dungeons on the map and fast travel to those, or walk if you're feeling bored. I just like the giganticness of the map. It seems like it would be an immersive game to play, even if you are fast traveling a lot.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I realised that those quests that send me into some specific dungeon to retrieve/find something specific are my most hated type of quests here. Especially considering the fact that these specific dungeons usually look like this.
F9y5aeH.png

It's not like i dislike convoluted labyrinths, but i prefer to explore them at my own pace. Not walking circles wondering which ditch i managed to miss.
At the end i did manage to find the ditch i was looking for.
PPnX8Ns.png

Skeleton and Murderfish were fighting each other in front of the requested ingredient for some reason. The skeleton won.
qUerARf.png

:xI spent a week in that imp-infested cave, you shit wizard!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom