Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Ferital, Jul 1, 2009.

?

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

1. Miles Davis

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. John Coltrane

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Kenny G (kc response)

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    yeah i saw it but i didnt post about it because...well....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. index.php Cipher

index.php

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Life Coach cans Patron

Life Coach
    Does she clean the houses and scrub the barnacles from my boat?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Open Path Educated

Open Path
    I have mixed feelings about this project. As in OpenMW case the most relevant consequence could be the huge improvements -or truly start in Daggerfall- of modding possibilities. The stability and bug-fixing is interesting as well but I had not too much problems playing Daggerfall since first 2000s more or less, so for me, only modding.

The main developer in DF Unity seems to be a true fan and an old player of the original game, who put Daggerfall itself as the only focus of the project, I hope this remain true in the next years.

But on the other hand, besides open the gates of modding to the most obsessive weaboos, furrys, console gamers who want to play Daggerfall as God of War and other manchild aberrations of 2019 world who are so common in nowadays modding, I have the impression that those projects -not simply the modding parts- tend to attract people with a total lack of taste, that ignore what those games made welll and even that try divert project objectives from create an open source re-build of original games and the improving of modding, to some new goals, usually decadent, newgamingish, declined: multiplayer, engine to make amateurish totally new games, smartphones support, conflict with old modding, megalomaniac intention to became the only way to play old games, etc-.

Also, those projects tend to make some little changes to vanilla by defect -UI mostly, but also graphics or even mechanics-, I want old Daggerfall not a mandatory modernised version.

I tried Daggerfall Unity Alpha in the last days and I have the impression that the main target seems to be new players. I didn't like the UI by defect, I dislike very much the huge contrast between models and flats -seems as if 1996 npcs invaded Minecraft-, I'm not sure if some 3d models are carbon copies from the originals and I feel that the atmosphere, specially in dungeons, is far less oprressive. I still prefer a patched original Daggerfall.

• FAKE NEWS x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Unless you installed any mods, the game looks exactly like it did in 1996, albeit at higher resolution. There's plenty of very awkward and ugly 3D models all over the place in the original.

The UI is identical too. If you want the Doom-esque status bar with your character's portrait that takes up the bottom part of the screen, I think you can get that back, but the cleaner version DF Unity uses by default was available in the original game too.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
  8. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    Everyone should listen to this guy's rendition of DAG_7 (2:08)

• incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    I believe i read that interkarma will implement easy music modding, so you just drop those songs into a folder and it will be in the game.

^ Top  
  10. Molina Learned

Molina
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Open Path Educated

Open Path
    No, with the same resolution statues, light sources or altars look different. In the first dungeon the most obvious example are medium size statues as those on the third room from cave start. With higher resolutions the contrast between flats -npcs, enemies or loot- and 3d models and its textures is far more ankward than original DF examples. However this is not my main concern, but modders priorities -and their tastes and gaming experience...- and specially the original UI/movement lack.

Doom-esque? Cleaner version? That UI with shortcuts for map, spells, rest, cursor modes, status and other info is the default DF mode and the way in which played vast majority of Daggerfall players before Morrowind -and probably later, until Oblivion or Skyrim release-, a new version of Arena UI, influenced by Ultima Underworld and other single character rpgs released before Doom -as Legends of Valour an explicit influence in TES-, which also were inspired by blobbers and other party-based rpgs since mids 80s.

Daggerfall without classic UI and specially without cursor mode is not Daggerfall.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    If it doesn't look like the original daggerfall then submit a bug report with screenshot comparisons.
    It's meant to be a 1:1 reproduction by default

^ Top  
  13. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  14. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Just a complaint, if the game is complete and there are only bugs to fix, they should change the name to beta, many players are going to see alpha and imagine a horrible glitch fest, at least, I did before I got to know more about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Üstad Educated

Üstad
    Thanks for giving me a chance to dislike this video.

I played and finished daggerfall unity a few months ago. It's really playable, I doubt I would be give daggerfall a chance with all clunky controls. The game right now is so smooth and they added soulbound enchantment as well. Anyone who has interest over elder scrolls should play this. Seeing alpha stage of the lore is also a nice thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

The search function on the codex is a shit.

• quality shit quality shit x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Life Coach cans Patron

Life Coach
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. How is exploration in DF? Is it easily recognized as proc gen or are there some handplaced things too? Lots of loot and secrets, tons of quests and things like that? I'm very intrigued but don't know much about it.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    It's like '99% of the time it's bland and easily seen to be procedurally generated but the 1% when you discover a daedra cult or some witches scheming in a nondescript dungeon keeps you interested'

Exploring the 'regular' dungeons stops being fun after a while; that is, the fun changes, since you recognize the dungeon chunks and know where the glueing points are, which makes the thing so much more effective. The plot dungeons are amazing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Funposter Savant

Funposter
    have you thought about downloading the free video game and just trying it for yourself instead of asking inane questions?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Life Coach cans Patron

Life Coach
    He's too busy playing gamebryo mods.

^ Top  
  22. MilesBeyond Erudite

MilesBeyond
    I like that when my thread got merged into the main one it inherited my unrelated jazz poll

• nice nice x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. index.php Cipher

index.php
    Haven't you already asked this like a half a year ago?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    He fried his brain with drugs, his entire life is basically groundhog day except with bethedsa games.

• Funny x 5
    • decline x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Kabas Arbiter Patron

Kabas
    Never played the original Daggerfall, decided to try this one. Having fun so far.
    I decided not to bother and just choose the preset mage class. That first attempt was painful, but i somehow managed to beat the first dungeon.
    After a while i decided to retry as a preset thief. Everything was fine and dandy at first, but right now things are a bit difficult and i am struggling even with a single bandit. Can't even sneak on anyone anymore for that attempt to backstab. I am not sure what i am doing wrong.

My waifu
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)