Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. TheGreatOne Arcane

TheGreatOne
    :deadhorse: do something new for a change. A sci-fi souls game. Or here's a novel concept: something else than an action RPG. Why not turn Armored Core into a turn based strategy and give it as much depth and thought as Souls games? Nah, let's just milk the cow till its dry.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    I'd still like to see them do a new first person action RPG.

Anyway, as much as I loved Demon's & Dark Souls, right now I'm pretty fed up with both Souls derivatives and From themselves.
    But hey, now that they finally became successful mainstream gaming's darlings, of course they will continue to milk the formula that gave them that status.

^ Top  
  4. Trodat Erudite Patron

Trodat
    Yeah, damn those bastards for staying true to the working 'souls' concept and not drifting away from it like 95 % of developers do.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  5. Villagkouras Arbiter

Villagkouras
  6. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    You must mean 5% of developers. Between annual releases of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, there's no shortage of developers staying true to a successful concept.

^ Top  
  7. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    More like, vast majority of developers will rather to stick to a working, commercially successful and critically acclaimed concept instead of drifting away from it and trying to do something new and risky.
    I don't blame From for tying themselves to a successful formula, it makes all the sense in the world for them to do so, but I can still be disappointed.

^ Top  
  8. Trodat Erudite Patron

Trodat
    I try to shut my self away from the "shitty, albeit successful school of game design". There's still plenty of examples of dev's abandoning once proven concepts and going full retard.

^ Top  
  9. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    I will pay attention to whatever they will do next, as long as it is an RPG. The Souls series is my favourite in their catalog, but Lost Kingdoms as Enchanted Arms were both pleasant, too.

^ Top  
  10. Martius Liturgist

Martius
    What about Ninja Blade 2? Just this time it could be decent at least.

^ Top  
  11. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    ^ Top  
  12. Gozma Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    I'm still not sick of 'em, gameplay wise. The "wistful depression" tone is getting old and I have no hurtbox for further Maiden in Black style tragic waifus

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    D3rp Souls.

^ Top  
  14. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    FUCK CHANGE. GIVE ME MORE DARK SOULS.
    :takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 16
    ^ Top  
  15. UndetectedButthurt Magister

UndetectedButthurt
    With (potentially) Muhzaki back at the helm, can we finally get muh hitboxes xD???

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Only thing I want to know: Will it be for fucking PC again?

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  17. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    PC or bust.

Show Spoiler
    :yeah:

^ Top  
  18. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    PS 4 exclusive :troll:

^ Top  
  19. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Fixed for realism.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Can someone explain me the meme?

^ Top  
  21. toro Arcane

toro
    Casual fags like me are complaining alot about the hitboxes. It's a recurrent whining topic.

^ Top  
  22. UndetectedButthurt Magister

UndetectedButthurt
    People prefer to blame the game instead of figuring out game mechanics. Muhzaki fanboys especially love ignoring the fact that every Souls game is plagued with similar hitbox "problems" (shitty grab attacks or huge AoE hits). An unexplained stat like Agility just made things worse since most characters with base stats don't have a lot of i-frames during rolls.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Amn Nom Learned

Amn Nom
    "Bandai Namco will announce Dark Souls 3 at E3, according to a VG247 report citing a source familiar with the matter." So its a rumor. With that said I'll be in day one because I'm one of those weird people who thought the second one was great, and even surpassed the original in a few areas.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    I really wish they would use the Demon Soul's nexus system and offer us a select group of entirely unique but canonically linked areas. I liked the idea of entering the giants' dreams, now maybe they could extrapolate that idea into a grander space for a new game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    DkS 2 is great. I mean just compare to every other console game that isn't a Souls game or Bloodborne. It's a fucking odyssey of Jap ARPG punishment. "Odyssey" is probably a real consolefag-ish thing to say, like calling a game an "experience," but whatever. It's like an ambitious sequel to a classic movie, where the scope is greater but it's not quite as sharp, as some would say of T2 or Matrix Reloaded (DkS2 is actually a good follow-up though).

And that was part of the problem: they doubled down on what they thought people enjoyed about the series, like getting raped, and did it in a thoughtless manner. What was considered hard-but-fair got turned into hard-but-fuck-you, here's this room full of cock knockers and statues spitting poison, with a couple of black phantoms and an invade sprinkled on top -and they're all aggro'd, bitch. Or something like that. Inelegant design, basically.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)