Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. How can you even
    :deathclaw::deathclaw:

^ Top  
  2. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I can't watch that (combat footage) for 2 minutes, and people spend hours doing this shit? Jesus christ, I'm starting to believe ADHD is caused by video games.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger

They're running out of things to fuck up.

^ Top  
  4. typical user Learned

typical user
    Im not saying turning that crap off or those mobs are hard but plain annoying. I got gud long ago. Maybe if you were hit through walls or have your poise broken while wearing Havel's then you would change your mind about them. That Ballista in Smouldering Lake is just annoying and tedious to turn off to explore area in peace. Even more when you have completed the area but have to backtrack for a ring and turn it on.

I only use wikias articles for anything I may have missed along the way. The only thing which I looked in advance was when (not where exactly but name of area) I could find certain weapons and what happens when I ring the bell in Archdragon Peak.

^ Top  
  5. Declinator Arbiter

Declinator
    You talking about that Ninja Gaiden 2 footage? Why would that cause ADHD? In NG2 you probably have to concentrate harder and for longer periods of times than in Dark Souls after all.

Inside the action genre Dark Souls is pretty difficult I'd say. Comparing it to some pitiful sidescroller/platformer is a moot point but inside its own genre what is there that is more difficult? I have played the likes of DMC3, NGB, NG2, and God Hand and while I haven't played them on the hardest modes (since some asshole always decides that the highest difficulties must be unlocked by going through the game multiple times) I'd say that on their default or highest available difficulty setting from the start none of them except possibly NG2 were more difficult than Dark Souls and none of them had bosses as difficult as the Souls series. Perhaps one could say that the average difficulty is higher in the Ninja Gaidens but the peaks are lower. That said, the other games mentioned (aside from DMC3) are more "twitchy" (i.e. you need faster reactions).

^ Top  
  6. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Because there is a ton of shit going on, constantly. ADHD medicine is a stimulant. You know, like the constant visual stimulation of that video. Hence the joke.

^ Top  
  7. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I bit the bullet and started this game. I tried DS1 when it first came out, but it worked pretty shit on my computer and it didn't really grab me, and the whole "butting your head against the wall over and over" thing was a turn off.

I don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to spoil myself, so I'm just plodding along. I started a Knight and will probably end up with a shit character but them's the breaks.

The first boss took me a good 10 tries, and now I'm getting consistently fucked over in the middle of the High Wall of Lothric. The big guy with the huge shield and spear I have no idea how to kill so I just try to run by him.

I doubt i'll have the patience to finish this but it's fun so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Divinity: Original Sin
    When in doubt...Run away or...

Show Spoiler
    git gud, scrub!
    :troll:

Zep--

^ Top  
  9. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Played ninja gaiden sigma. It is pretty good but challange in that game comes from garbage camera coupled with garbage special effecto muzzle flash bang bang and not actually applying any tactic.
    Controls on other hand are tight but the more enemies get on screen the more clauster fuck it becomes.

^ Top  
  10. janior Arcane

janior
    ffs ninja gaiden is just a random example lol

^ Top  
  11. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    DMC3 is harder than all Souls games. It's only after DMC3SE made "easy" the default difficulty (while still calling it normal) and introduced pre-boss checkpoints that you can argue that Souls is more difficult. Souls games still have way more ways of cheesing through difficult stuff than DMC3.

The xbox version of Ninja Gaiden is also harder than Souls.

On their normal difficulties Bayonetta and God of War are both easier.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Murk Arcane

Murk
    The "so hardcore and hard" angle is a marketing gimmick directed at people who will play the game once or twice and then move on to the next thing. People who play the game past the 100 hour mark are the lunatics to whom difficulty does not even register because they've memorized every boss move already.

The fuck is so hard to understand about that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    The fuck you talking about? I love DMC3 but in that game you can use healing items by pausing the game.

^ Top  
  14. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    Ok? The more healing items you buy the more expensive they get. Sure, you can grind for hours to get more, but you can grind in Souls as well. If you're playing both games properly Dark Souls is more lenient about healing. And more to the point it's just generally easier.

^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    On normal def both DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are shit piece easy. You wear nostalgia glasses because you didn't play them in recent years. Especially DMC3 is easy.

^ Top  
  16. It's pretty much impossible to objectively talk about difficulty in Souls games anyhow as all who played them are dissilusioned by it.
    It all basically boils down to meta infromation: knowing enemies' weaknesses, item locations and all that jazz.

On my first completionist DS1 playthrough I clocked 72 hrs, my 2nd completionist playthrough was done in under 15 and that was done without any area skipped and Sunbro covenant maxed, I really didn't feel the difficulty I experienced first time around but fuck if I cared.

Anyway, Leechmonger is an edgelord tryhard and I feel dirty from participating in this conversation

^ Top  
  17. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    Again: DMC3SE is easy. DMC3 was not.

^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Played both of them. And they were easy compared to most of DS games. I don't remember single boss which took me more than 4-5 tries and usually most of the bosses were beaten on first try. To really have a challange you need to crank up deficulty as per usuall in DMC games after beating them.

^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    I don't know about normies and I don't want to judge others without a reason but I agree that difficulty is the last reason to appreciate DaS series (maybe not the last but definitely secondary to other things).

And unfortunately I think even the developers are enamored with this false image of difficult games and that's why DaS3 is saturated with artificial difficulty because they were desperate to create the most difficult game ever or something like that.

Just think about this: no homing attacks, no infinite stamina mobs, no spastic mobs, no teleporting mobs, no retarded damage from mobs, no retarded stunlocks (working poise) and less bullshit attacks - long wind ups movements followed by instant hits.

The game would be absolutely bonkers if they toned down the artificial difficulty bullshit and gave some room to breath to the players.

^ Top  
  20. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    Weird, I found vanilla DMC3 very difficult mainly due to the lack of checkpoints. Many levels consisted of a non-trivial series of normal battles followed by the boss fight. That meant I'd often be low on health by the time I reached the boss which made learning their patterns difficult. And dying meant a lot of time wasted. Not to mention that the bosses themselves I think are harder as well. All these factors combined make vanilla DMC3 bosses much more intimidating to me than Souls games'.

I've always found Souls combat to be very forgiving of mistakes and relatively easy to master. It's of course slower than other games in the genre (it pretty much is in its own genre, really). They also have less bullshit like weird camera angles that fuck you. And you can run past enemies because there's no magical doors preventing you from doing so.

I find difficulty improves Souls games as long as it's fair. There's a thrill in overcoming something that caused you grief previously, but there's a limit to how much bullshit you can tolerate before you lose immersion. Copy-pasting enemies in a shitily-textured room screams "zero effort went into this" and causes me to perceive the segment not as an exciting challenge to overcome but as a flaw that hopefully the rest of the game makes up for. The difference comes down to whether the game motivates you to overcome its difficulty. DeS and DS1 definitely did. Both games would suffer if you either lowered their overall difficulty or added bullshit.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    ^ Top  
  21. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    can confirm from the little I played ,that both Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 are more difficult that the souls game. The combat in the Ninja Gaiden games are also spectacular.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. The Decline Arcane

The Decline

^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro

^ Top  
  24. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    I think I probably woulda given up on DS1 if it didn't have the "super harrrrd" advertising to make me feel like I wasn't alone in having a hard time with it. It's easy in retrospect but only in the same way every hard single-player game seems in retrospect. Although I also very slowly cracked through the original DMC/DMC3, and DMC3 probably really is harder than DS1, so maybe I would have managed.

^ Top  
  25. Echo Mirage Arcane

Echo Mirage
    Would it be fair to say that Bloodborne is harder than DS3?

I haven't played it yet. But I see people regarding the difficulty of its bosses highly.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)