Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Leechmonger

Arbiter
The fuck you talking about? I love DMC3 but in that game you can use healing items by pausing the game.

Ok? The more healing items you buy the more expensive they get. Sure, you can grind for hours to get more, but you can grind in Souls as well. If you're playing both games properly Dark Souls is more lenient about healing. And more to the point it's just generally easier.

Perkel

Arcane
DMC3 is harder than all Souls games. It's only after DMC3SE made "easy" the default difficulty (while still calling it normal) and introduced pre-boss checkpoints that you can argue that Souls is more difficult. Souls games still have way more ways of cheesing through difficult stuff than DMC3.

The xbox version of Ninja Gaiden is also harder than Souls.

On their normal difficulties Bayonetta and God of War are both easier.

On normal def both DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are shit piece easy. You wear nostalgia glasses because you didn't play them in recent years. Especially DMC3 is easy.

DramaticPopcorn

It's pretty much impossible to objectively talk about difficulty in Souls games anyhow as all who played them are dissilusioned by it.
It all basically boils down to meta infromation: knowing enemies' weaknesses, item locations and all that jazz.

On my first completionist DS1 playthrough I clocked 72 hrs, my 2nd completionist playthrough was done in under 15 and that was done without any area skipped and Sunbro covenant maxed, I really didn't feel the difficulty I experienced first time around but fuck if I cared.

Anyway, Leechmonger is an edgelord tryhard and I feel dirty from participating in this conversation

Perkel

Arcane
On normal def both DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are shit piece easy. You wear nostalgia glasses because you didn't play them in recent years. Especially DMC3 is easy.

Again: DMC3SE is easy. DMC3 was not.

Played both of them. And they were easy compared to most of DS games. I don't remember single boss which took me more than 4-5 tries and usually most of the bosses were beaten on first try. To really have a challange you need to crank up deficulty as per usuall in DMC games after beating them.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
you have to compare dark souls not to "real" games, but to casual stuff like skyrim or a fable. then you see very quickly where the "its so diffcult lol" people come from. then of course there is the marketing latching on to that and shitting out the "prepare to die edition".

It's sad because it creates false image of the game.
I appreciate DS for a lot of diffrent reasons and difficulty is on the bottom of that list.

Normies got their most hardc0re gaem i guess.

I don't know about normies and I don't want to judge others without a reason but I agree that difficulty is the last reason to appreciate DaS series (maybe not the last but definitely secondary to other things).

And unfortunately I think even the developers are enamored with this false image of difficult games and that's why DaS3 is saturated with artificial difficulty because they were desperate to create the most difficult game ever or something like that.

Just think about this: no homing attacks, no infinite stamina mobs, no spastic mobs, no teleporting mobs, no retarded damage from mobs, no retarded stunlocks (working poise) and less bullshit attacks - long wind ups movements followed by instant hits.

The game would be absolutely bonkers if they toned down the artificial difficulty bullshit and gave some room to breath to the players.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Played both of them. And they were easy compared to most of DS games. I don't remember single boss which took me more than 4-5 tries and usually most of the bosses were beaten on first try. To really have a challange you need to crank up deficulty as per usuall in DMC games after beating them.

Weird, I found vanilla DMC3 very difficult mainly due to the lack of checkpoints. Many levels consisted of a non-trivial series of normal battles followed by the boss fight. That meant I'd often be low on health by the time I reached the boss which made learning their patterns difficult. And dying meant a lot of time wasted. Not to mention that the bosses themselves I think are harder as well. All these factors combined make vanilla DMC3 bosses much more intimidating to me than Souls games'.

I've always found Souls combat to be very forgiving of mistakes and relatively easy to master. It's of course slower than other games in the genre (it pretty much is in its own genre, really). They also have less bullshit like weird camera angles that fuck you. And you can run past enemies because there's no magical doors preventing you from doing so.

I don't know about normies and I don't want to judge others without a reason but I agree that difficulty is the last reason to appreciate DaS series (maybe not the last but definitely secondary to other things).

I find difficulty improves Souls games as long as it's fair. There's a thrill in overcoming something that caused you grief previously, but there's a limit to how much bullshit you can tolerate before you lose immersion. Copy-pasting enemies in a shitily-textured room screams "zero effort went into this" and causes me to perceive the segment not as an exciting challenge to overcome but as a flaw that hopefully the rest of the game makes up for. The difference comes down to whether the game motivates you to overcome its difficulty. DeS and DS1 definitely did. Both games would suffer if you either lowered their overall difficulty or added bullshit.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
can confirm from the little I played ,that both Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 are more difficult that the souls game. The combat in the Ninja Gaiden games are also spectacular.

Mozg

Arcane
I think I probably woulda given up on DS1 if it didn't have the "super harrrrd" advertising to make me feel like I wasn't alone in having a hard time with it. It's easy in retrospect but only in the same way every hard single-player game seems in retrospect. Although I also very slowly cracked through the original DMC/DMC3, and DMC3 probably really is harder than DS1, so maybe I would have managed.

sullynathan

Arcane
Would it be fair to say that Bloodborne is harder than DS3?

I haven't played it yet. But I see people regarding the difficulty of its bosses highly.
probably. BB might have been my first souls game and I only beat two bosses but cleric beast and father gascogne were harder early bosses than Iudex Gundyr and boreal dog.

They're running out of things to fuck up.

can't fuck up something that was bad.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, straight swords should out range greatswords, even when the model is shorter. Totally.

edit: unrelated but don't want to double post.

So, if you are invading, you shouldn't try to kill anyone or do anything else because shit resets hard when you come back. I used a red eye and was sitting around on wall of lothric pew-pewing the wyvern, got it to about 40% hp and orb kicked in. Fight fight fight, host and blue kill me, I come back and wyvern is now at 100% hp.

It was at least like... 30-50 seconds of me pew-pewing him so ... it's not just the most recent things, it's like it goes from when the initial "got a lead" hits.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
Good fighting games come with hitbox/hurtbox viewers in their incredibly robust practice modes and a billion sperg tools in general Souls players wouldn't believe. Don't worry about shit; just mash R1 and let the random poorly thought out balance changes in a 95% single player game that hides as much information as it can wash over you

It probably just straight up resets enemy health when you come back from a summon. Quitting and re-entering the game does it.

Murk

Arcane
In some cases it may respawn enemies too -- only noticed this when killing an enemy during the final few seconds tho; DS 2 didn't have that issue, it seemed to really save 'last thing that happened' well.

Yeah, in this game I don't think I'll be heavy into the PVP. it just doesn't feel good, and the endless chugging is crap design IMO. Fights last forever, too. I dunno, not my cup of tea. Game looks great tho. So far the best part is when you go to character gen screen and see the dope ass knight armor.

sullynathan

Arcane
Old demon king is my favorite boss so far. I killed him in my 4th try. It seems that with him, FROM finally figured out a way to have a slow large boss that can't be easily defeated by hugging. I think he might make it to my all-time best souls bosses list.

I still don't like how little souls I get whenever I play co-op with someone. It's far less than the 50% of souls you would get from defeating a boss while being summoned as a phantom in DS1. Worse that I ran into a glitch that won't let me enter a boss room after the host.

Demon ruins have been ok. I don't like how do many places have the samey look to them.

I also don't like how there is still no ring that allows the player to walk on lava like souls 1.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
So far Cathedral of the deep has been the best level in the game. Doesn't have too many bonfires and does shortcuts appropriately. I was super surprised when patches showed up, really caught me offguard but I already killed the giants so his plan didn't work. Too bad the area had a shitty boss.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Boss was shitty gameplay-wise but it was about hyping aldrich even more. People kept talking about the devourer on and on and when it's time to kick his ass - boom - your princess is in another castle.

I mean it's not like the congregation of DS2 or the skeleton lords. These guys made little sense.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They actually managed to kill me the first time around because I played too cautiously and they finished their fancy doom spell, was a rather surprising way to die.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Killed Lord of Cinder in 1st try. Solo.

Then started another run and died 8 times on Iundex :) Second phase.

Anyway, already spent my 5 red cracked orbs. And surprise on first bonfire: got summoned by one guy with Ornstein armor !? And I beat him :P

Coyote

Arcane
From a few pages ago, but...

it was flavor of the month the week and two after release.

it's not actually that good (weird scaling, uninfusable with quality gem) but the moveset was obnoxious because you could do that spinning sweep over and over again as long as you had the stamina for it. this lead to people putting all their points into stamina and just spinning and hoping they hit you. this tactic doesn't work against anyone with ranged options, but if you're melee only, it's just lame to fight against.

For a melee-only character, just be ready to parry whenever they start breakdancing. If you've got decent reflexes, you should be able to consistently reaction parry it in PVP; I think I have more riposte kills against it than all other weapons combined. Don't know if anyone's tested it thoroughly, but it seems like you'll succeed at any point of the attack animation as long as you're in range and unstaggered.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just killed aldrich. I tried to kill him whole night, and now I was succesful on 12 tries. I killed him by a great magic shield.

sullynathan

Arcane
man you guys overrated the fuck out of pontiff. I beat him first try with two estus flasks to spare. His combos aren't too long and unlike a lot of the normal enemies, his attacks are easily blockable and I didn't even loos much stamina blocking. He was a pretty good boss.

Ivan

Arcane
i think it's because you debase yourself by using shields

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom