Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I honestly do not get people who try to fight asylum demon with the broken weapon that does no damage. the fucking door opens with a loud sound to your left, how do you not get you're supposed to go there?

edit: I skipped to ep 8, she's at the cemetary still in firelink

nooooooooooooooooooope nope nope nope

^ Top  
  2. polo Erudite

polo
    LOL, shes got a whole lot of patience.

^ Top  
  3. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    She goes extremely slow, but she also does shit like get past the Londo greatbow archers on the second or so attempt as a person that started barely able to move around.

^ Top  
  4. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    If you got all the way to Irithyll and you're still not sure you're having fun then this game is definitely not your cup of tea.

I'm weird with games too tho. Like the first time I tried DS1 I struggled for half an hour, gave a hearty laugh and uninstalled. Second time I couldn't stop playing it. Same for Dragon Age 1. First time I absolutely hated that shit. Second time I was having moderate fun all the way to the end and today I consider it a good RPG.

^ Top  
  5. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I took that to mean Vordt.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Shit it didn't even occured to me the "Boreal Valley dog thing" can be anything else than the miniboss on the Boreal Valley bridge. :lol:

^ Top  
  7. Murk Arcane

Murk
    The Priestess in the Cathedral refers to him as a dog... and the whole "everything is on all fours, totally not inspired by project beast Bloodborne" thing...

I dunno man, if you feel like the first boss is a wall to hit your head against I... I shudder to say this but... you may be playing the game wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. toro Arcane

toro
    Each DaS3 run is different.

1st run was a nightmare because I insisted on using an axe but in the end I gave up and I went with a katana. The entire run was absolutely shit because I could not adapt to the new edgy combat. Also I fucked up my build and I did not find Rosaria's bedchamber. All my NPCs died/dissapeared and the fireshrine was almost empty in the end.

2nd run was great but I used straight swords for the entire play. Overall I think the game is balanced for these swords. Also I accepted the fact that the game is shit (compared to the previous DaS games) and I stopped trying to play my way -> I went for fast weapons and cheese. I did not become a better player but the game became easy mode. Usurpation of fire.

3rd run was also good until I became bored. I tried halbers, I tried greatswords but nothing matched the utility of straight swords. Dark Sword was still my most reliable weapon in pvp but tbh I'm ashamed of using it.

4th run just ended when I realized that my spear has a range lower than a longsword. Fuck this retarded shit.

Anyway, I just want to say that the game experience can be completely different and not always for the right reasons. DaS3 is probably the most unfair game in the series which means that your enjoyment will suffer if you don't take advantage of every little thing.

You have two options: 1) try your own thing and suffer for every decision which was not perfect or 2) cheese the game which means play the game how it was meant to be played.

If you don't spoil yourself in advance then it's very hard to know how to make the good decisions on your own. The game is retarded and your non-perfect build can become obsolete in one elevator trip.

So, my advice is to cheese the game: use a longsword, upgrade it asap, level up some vitality fast (lvl27 is the soft cap), use the summon sign to scout the areas in advance or use summons. Use any tool available to make progress. There is no shame in doing so.

For example: there are mobs in the game which you are not supposed to challenge when you meet them 1st time. Use firebombs and the environment for maximum damage. Use consumable and miracles to buff your weapon. Anything.

Perhaps the game will click with you later but I'm pretty sure no Evrika! moment will happen when you bang your head against a wall.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    I'm sure I'm probably playing it wrong. I've completely avoided any spoilers whatsoever, and I only ever played DS1 for a few hours before I gave up.

I started a Knight and basically have put every point into strength at this point. Is the game more or less meant to read spoilers and such? I probably missed a bunch of stuff already and really don't know what I'm doing. I have about 8 hours into the game and just now killed Vordt, and probably missed a bunch of things.

Just wondering if I'm going to fuck myself by playing blindly. Can you respec at all?

^ Top  
  10. polo Erudite

polo
    Yeah if Vordt was hard for you, and you are not even having fun. Uninstall.
    Also, there is another option.
    GIT GUD BRAH.

^ Top  
  11. Mozg Arcane

Mozg
    The only build stuff to really fuck up is going over the "soft caps" which are totally unpredictable for people that don't know Souls bullshit. Like, Strength gives moderate returns at first, then the increase-per-point gets higher as you approach 40, then falls to almost nothing from 40 up (I think in DS3 you get 80% of the benefit of 99 strength at 40). You are technically given the tools to notice this shit (since you can preview the derived stat increases during level up) but no one playing blind ever would. Figuring that out is stupid and you should spoil yourself.

Same for how infusions work - e.g. Raw infusions remove all stat scaling from a weapon and in return give you a big boost to base damage, meaning it's really stat-efficient to use a weapon at the minimum stat requirements to wield it and raw infuse it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I honestly don't think it's an issue to spoil the game. I often enjoy being a summoned helper in a new area to feel things out, more so than summoning in my own world.

I wouldn't recommend watching in depth how to strats on bosses until you try 'em at least a few times and try to figure it out on your own, but even then I don't think you're shit for doing it.

Really, the only thing I think is a bad idea is to just rely on shield wall + 1-2 pokes every other minute as a slow means of tedious progress instead of being more experimental and trying peculiar strategies. One of my favorite moments in DS 1 was killing kalameet at SL1 by using power within, red tear stone, dusk's crown + bellowing dragoncrest ring, and chaos fire storm.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. toro Arcane

toro
    I was pretty sure that you did not have enough Vitality :) I did the same mistake on my 1st run.

In fact I wrote in the original post and then I deleted it because I did not want to sound like a pompous ass ... but the thing is: always pump up some Vitality first. You will need it for PvE and PvP. Being able to withstand more than two hits from a boss is a world of difference.

About spoilers: Yeah. Read them. At least read about what build you would like. Hint: consider a straight sword build and what infusions are good for it. The story is a mess and I'm not sure anyone really understands it anyway. There are some obscure secrets (but not too many) which you will probably not find on your own.

Vordt is a boss you should beat in the first 2 hours of the game. I don't think you missed too much but let's check: Did you free Greirat? Did you kill the Darkwraith from the basement? Have you visited the tower near the Fireshrine? :)

There is an NPC which can help you respec 5 times per run but she is found somewhere around mid-game (Rosaria's bedchamber - Cathedral of the Deep).

But like Mozg said there are a few options to fuck up your build. You are pretty much safe if you invest in STR or DEX and you use the appropriate scaling weapons.

^ Top  
  14. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    Unexpectedly stumbled Upon Thorn, beat him on first try but almost died.

I didn't know that the game would now automatically teleport me to fight the dancer. I was already out of Estus flasks so I died in the fight. Beat him when u came back though.

^ Top  
  15. Leechmonger Savant

Leechmonger
    As everyone else has said: use straight swords. I breezed through the game with an estoc.

As far as stat allocation: your first priority is to level up STR and DEX until you can wield a good, early-game obtainable weapon. As an example: the estoc only requires 10 STR and 12 DEX. Infuse it with a raw gem for big damage early. You can always change the infusion to something else later. Then pump your health stat until you hit the softcap (someone said it was at 27) where you start getting less health per point.

You can respec eventually (probably want to look that up if you want to do it), but if you're still just past Vordt (that is, very early in the game) then it might be a good idea to start over, follow the advice you were given and see how much easier the game is when it's played the way the devs encourage you to. It won't take you long to catch up and you'll have momentum on your side.

^ Top  
  16. typical user Learned

typical user
    That's the whole point of this game. You will miss NPCs, screw up quests from them, never discover optional areas unless you read wikias in advance. It is done this way so if you do read stuff about the game you will want to replay it or go into NG+. And even more, discovering things on your own is satisfying. There is a boss which takes one hit to kill and is almost at the end of the game but you have to figure things out on your own even with handful of developers tips.

And yes you can respec your character or change his apperance. The only thing which matters is starting class but if you want to play as archerer and you chose knight it will take you 10 levels more at most.

Trust me. I beat the game and I have no bloody idea what the hell I achieved in the end. Did I do good thing or messed up the whole world. There are whole discussions about what each ending was about. People barely know what is the whole plot because linking the first flame is just a vague description.

If you are wondering if this is a game for you then let me tell you - it took me around 20-30 hours to get good at this game. It was fun learning because I was laughing at every death and every nasty trap developers left. Dark Souls 3 is my first Soulsborne title and it is refreshing experience because there are no quest-markers and even after 60 hours with level 100 character I can die from rats if I screw up. At first I was raped by Lothric Knights - especially the one with shield and sword near watch tower. After 100 hours I am able to parry or backstab him without problems. I can fight 3 of them without panicking with flashy moves. Same deal with bosses. I had problems with Nameless King (disputed as the hardest boss in the game) and it took me around 20-30 tries to kill him. After that it was matter of 5 tries on second character. You just have to endure your first hours to get sucked in by this game.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Murk Arcane

Murk
    One of the best experiences in a souls game is when you restart and suddenly find the dangerous/hard areas to be a total cakewalk (or at least, significantly easier) because you now know how to move/dodge/attack/etc.

below is stupid plot/lore rambling, so i spoilered it cuz it's retarded

Show Spoiler

I am bored at work, and have some time to kill, so I figured i'd write some bullshit. None of this matters, don't bother reading it unless you too are bored.

Previously in this thread I said that I thought that DS2 was the future in which the flames are linked in DS1 and that DS3 is like the alternate reality in which the protag chose the dark lord ending. The basis for this was because DS 2 seems to continue on with the undead curse and the cycle seems to just keep moving on where-as everything in DS3 seems like some kind of doomsday scenario where it's all going to shit, and the true end is nigh.

I think I was thinking backwards.

I never really accepted the idea of there being a cohesive plot in the background. I don't even think From has a true master-doc of it all written out and are only choosing to share parts for the sake of the experience. I honestly think they just come up with some neat/cool/tragic ideas and intersparse them throughout the games, leaving the fans to squint really hard to see the lines between them. They do have some very cool themes tho. DS 1 had the idea of one's sanity and humanity being dependent on working toward a goal, and that once that goal was met or failed that the person would lose themselves indefinitely. Righteous and upright people like Laurentius and Siegmeyer have tragic ends, where-as nihilists like Patches are nearly immune to that problem. In DS 2, memory and sense of self and direction is slowly slipping with everyone kind of forgetting who and what they are, why they're here -- they just know that they have to survive somehow and are trying to keep moving forward. There's no tragic ending here, because the very story itself doesn't lean to that -- the game tells you, you're never going to know why, really, and you don't -- you just keep going until you are on top, sitting on the throne (which is ironically underground.)

Anyway, the themes also kind of cover different entities. DS 1 and 3 are about the gods or otherwordly beings that more or less run the world. Where-as DS 2 is about kings and duty. The linking of the flame is a scam to keep the status quo -- returning the lords to their thrones in 3 is almost like some kind of caretaker being pulled in to find senile elders. The whole system, from ground up, is designed to cannibalize the young and the new for the sake of the old. Humanity is treated as a disposable means to an end for the flawed system of those in power to remain in power. DS 2 on the other hand is the only game in the series that specifically involves the older generations sacrificing themselves for the sake of the newer ones. Vendrick couldn't quite cut it to be the True Monarch for reasons never fully divulged, other than the giant invasion and his own treacherous Manus-Spawn wife. However, he didn't ruin things for those who came after, he instead hid whatever hope he could muster (his ring, which gave access to the giant's kinship) so that the next champion, through him, would finish the task he was unable. Likewise, the other kings in the DLCs, all tried to achieve greatness in human empires but failed in some capacity. Some were directly defeated (sunken), some gave to corruption (iron), and some held true to the bitter end and fought the darkness until it devoured them (ivory, in parallel to artorias.) Here the emphasis is on duty as mirrored by the two primary roles of monarchs and the knights who serve them. Even the maiden is loyal to you, pledging to stand by you always. This is definitely a more human story, and I think DS 2 is likely what would happen if the original chosen undead became the dark lord and forsaked the "gods". The gods themselves not being omnipotent deities like in the christian sense, but more like greek gods who are superhuman but not infallible.

The real truth, is that that's all garbage and the game is just some minor themes cobbled together with recurring concepts of the cycle, linking the fire, etc. There's nothing more than what the designers thought would be cool at whatever time, and people can just read into it very easily because of how vague and ambiguous it all is -- like astrology/horoscopes

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    The best expierence imho is your very first souls game if you are unspoilered about how stuff works, slogging through the
    game as a tiny tiny soul of a knight, knee-deep in the dead and filth of a world that just wants to eat you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Murk Arcane

Murk
    Hahahaha, From should design a competitive MMO or MOBA so the world can implode from the sheer lack of balance in it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I've said that FROM should hire new people that have background in multiplayer games to work on the multiplayer component of FROM games. How do I pass these twin dragons in Lothric castle?

^ Top  
  22. Bradylama Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Bradylama

E:
    Cheesing them with a bow is always an option, but there's a more roundabout and fun way to do it which involves taking a leap of faith.

^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    People who are entirely new to Souls games should read up on the core mechanics -- I don't consider that spoilers. The stat system is fairly unique so it helps to have an understanding of what does what. As a general rule of thumb you should be fine if you ignore luck, faith, and intellect assuming you go a traditional melee build.

^ Top  
  24. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    Can anyone tell me how they beat the faggot brothers boss without summons? Jesus Christ, the teleporting thingy alone is enough, but combined with multiple full health bars you have to deplete and homing projectiles you have do dodge while also paying attention not to get a huge flaming sword rammed up your ass it just gets goddamn impossible.

^ Top  
  25. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I for one can't. Had to summon. Not gud enough.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)