Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

sullynathan

Arcane
Unexpectedly stumbled Upon Thorn, beat him on first try but almost died.

I didn't know that the game would now automatically teleport me to fight the dancer. I was already out of Estus flasks so I died in the fight. Beat him when u came back though.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
I'm sure I'm probably playing it wrong. I've completely avoided any spoilers whatsoever, and I only ever played DS1 for a few hours before I gave up.

I started a Knight and basically have put every point into strength at this point. Is the game more or less meant to read spoilers and such? I probably missed a bunch of stuff already and really don't know what I'm doing. I have about 8 hours into the game and just now killed Vordt, and probably missed a bunch of things.

Just wondering if I'm going to fuck myself by playing blindly. Can you respec at all?

As everyone else has said: use straight swords. I breezed through the game with an estoc.

As far as stat allocation: your first priority is to level up STR and DEX until you can wield a good, early-game obtainable weapon. As an example: the estoc only requires 10 STR and 12 DEX. Infuse it with a raw gem for big damage early. You can always change the infusion to something else later. Then pump your health stat until you hit the softcap (someone said it was at 27) where you start getting less health per point.

You can respec eventually (probably want to look that up if you want to do it), but if you're still just past Vordt (that is, very early in the game) then it might be a good idea to start over, follow the advice you were given and see how much easier the game is when it's played the way the devs encourage you to. It won't take you long to catch up and you'll have momentum on your side.

typical user

Arbiter
I'm sure I'm probably playing it wrong. I've completely avoided any spoilers whatsoever, and I only ever played DS1 for a few hours before I gave up.

I started a Knight and basically have put every point into strength at this point. Is the game more or less meant to read spoilers and such? I probably missed a bunch of stuff already and really don't know what I'm doing. I have about 8 hours into the game and just now killed Vordt, and probably missed a bunch of things.

Just wondering if I'm going to fuck myself by playing blindly. Can you respec at all?

That's the whole point of this game. You will miss NPCs, screw up quests from them, never discover optional areas unless you read wikias in advance. It is done this way so if you do read stuff about the game you will want to replay it or go into NG+. And even more, discovering things on your own is satisfying. There is a boss which takes one hit to kill and is almost at the end of the game but you have to figure things out on your own even with handful of developers tips.

And yes you can respec your character or change his apperance. The only thing which matters is starting class but if you want to play as archerer and you chose knight it will take you 10 levels more at most.

Trust me. I beat the game and I have no bloody idea what the hell I achieved in the end. Did I do good thing or messed up the whole world. There are whole discussions about what each ending was about. People barely know what is the whole plot because linking the first flame is just a vague description.

If you are wondering if this is a game for you then let me tell you - it took me around 20-30 hours to get good at this game. It was fun learning because I was laughing at every death and every nasty trap developers left. Dark Souls 3 is my first Soulsborne title and it is refreshing experience because there are no quest-markers and even after 60 hours with level 100 character I can die from rats if I screw up. At first I was raped by Lothric Knights - especially the one with shield and sword near watch tower. After 100 hours I am able to parry or backstab him without problems. I can fight 3 of them without panicking with flashy moves. Same deal with bosses. I had problems with Nameless King (disputed as the hardest boss in the game) and it took me around 20-30 tries to kill him. After that it was matter of 5 tries on second character. You just have to endure your first hours to get sucked in by this game.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
One of the best experiences in a souls game is when you restart and suddenly find the dangerous/hard areas to be a total cakewalk (or at least, significantly easier) because you now know how to move/dodge/attack/etc.

below is stupid plot/lore rambling, so i spoilered it cuz it's retarded

I am bored at work, and have some time to kill, so I figured i'd write some bullshit. None of this matters, don't bother reading it unless you too are bored.

Previously in this thread I said that I thought that DS2 was the future in which the flames are linked in DS1 and that DS3 is like the alternate reality in which the protag chose the dark lord ending. The basis for this was because DS 2 seems to continue on with the undead curse and the cycle seems to just keep moving on where-as everything in DS3 seems like some kind of doomsday scenario where it's all going to shit, and the true end is nigh.

I think I was thinking backwards.

I never really accepted the idea of there being a cohesive plot in the background. I don't even think From has a true master-doc of it all written out and are only choosing to share parts for the sake of the experience. I honestly think they just come up with some neat/cool/tragic ideas and intersparse them throughout the games, leaving the fans to squint really hard to see the lines between them. They do have some very cool themes tho. DS 1 had the idea of one's sanity and humanity being dependent on working toward a goal, and that once that goal was met or failed that the person would lose themselves indefinitely. Righteous and upright people like Laurentius and Siegmeyer have tragic ends, where-as nihilists like Patches are nearly immune to that problem. In DS 2, memory and sense of self and direction is slowly slipping with everyone kind of forgetting who and what they are, why they're here -- they just know that they have to survive somehow and are trying to keep moving forward. There's no tragic ending here, because the very story itself doesn't lean to that -- the game tells you, you're never going to know why, really, and you don't -- you just keep going until you are on top, sitting on the throne (which is ironically underground.)

Anyway, the themes also kind of cover different entities. DS 1 and 3 are about the gods or otherwordly beings that more or less run the world. Where-as DS 2 is about kings and duty. The linking of the flame is a scam to keep the status quo -- returning the lords to their thrones in 3 is almost like some kind of caretaker being pulled in to find senile elders. The whole system, from ground up, is designed to cannibalize the young and the new for the sake of the old. Humanity is treated as a disposable means to an end for the flawed system of those in power to remain in power. DS 2 on the other hand is the only game in the series that specifically involves the older generations sacrificing themselves for the sake of the newer ones. Vendrick couldn't quite cut it to be the True Monarch for reasons never fully divulged, other than the giant invasion and his own treacherous Manus-Spawn wife. However, he didn't ruin things for those who came after, he instead hid whatever hope he could muster (his ring, which gave access to the giant's kinship) so that the next champion, through him, would finish the task he was unable. Likewise, the other kings in the DLCs, all tried to achieve greatness in human empires but failed in some capacity. Some were directly defeated (sunken), some gave to corruption (iron), and some held true to the bitter end and fought the darkness until it devoured them (ivory, in parallel to artorias.) Here the emphasis is on duty as mirrored by the two primary roles of monarchs and the knights who serve them. Even the maiden is loyal to you, pledging to stand by you always. This is definitely a more human story, and I think DS 2 is likely what would happen if the original chosen undead became the dark lord and forsaked the "gods". The gods themselves not being omnipotent deities like in the christian sense, but more like greek gods who are superhuman but not infallible.

The real truth, is that that's all garbage and the game is just some minor themes cobbled together with recurring concepts of the cycle, linking the fire, etc. There's nothing more than what the designers thought would be cool at whatever time, and people can just read into it very easily because of how vague and ambiguous it all is -- like astrology/horoscopes

Last edited:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
The best expierence imho is your very first souls game if you are unspoilered about how stuff works, slogging through the
game as a tiny tiny soul of a knight, knee-deep in the dead and filth of a world that just wants to eat you.

Murk

Arcane
Hahahaha, From should design a competitive MMO or MOBA so the world can implode from the sheer lack of balance in it.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've said that FROM should hire new people that have background in multiplayer games to work on the multiplayer component of FROM games. How do I pass these twin dragons in Lothric castle?

Bradylama

Arcane

E:
I've said that FROM should hire new people that have background in multiplayer games to work on the multiplayer component of FROM games. How do I pass these twin dragons in Lothric castle?

Cheesing them with a bow is always an option, but there's a more roundabout and fun way to do it which involves taking a leap of faith.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People who are entirely new to Souls games should read up on the core mechanics -- I don't consider that spoilers. The stat system is fairly unique so it helps to have an understanding of what does what. As a general rule of thumb you should be fine if you ignore luck, faith, and intellect assuming you go a traditional melee build.

Lambach

Arcane
Can anyone tell me how they beat the faggot brothers boss without summons? Jesus Christ, the teleporting thingy alone is enough, but combined with multiple full health bars you have to deplete and homing projectiles you have do dodge while also paying attention not to get a huge flaming sword rammed up your ass it just gets goddamn impossible.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Can anyone tell me how they beat the faggot brothers boss without summons? Jesus Christ, the teleporting thingy alone is enough, but combined with multiple full health bars you have to deplete and homing projectiles you have do dodge while also paying attention not to get a huge flaming sword rammed up your ass it just gets goddamn impossible.

I had some difficulty with him on my first try until I basically hugged his butt.

It's kind of sad that so many otherwise intimidating boss fights become a bit of a joke when you realize the specific part of their crotch you need to hug.

If The Elder Scrolls is a hiking simulator, Dark Souls is a rectal combat simulator.

Like many bosses, this boss is trivial when you stay behind him. Don't get greedy with your swings. Make sure you're ready for his teleport with good stamina and aren't locked into an animation. He has a pretty consistent rhythm so it shouldn't be too hard. Be calm, don't get pressured.

These games are much harder blind. Much of the challenge is coming up with a strategy by learning movesets for both enemies and yourself.

It might be a good idea to watch a Let's Play up to the boss you just killed. This way you can compare and contrast. Get an idea of how they are generally played etc.

It's hard to give advice without seeing you play but do you backstab? parry? guard break? These things help a lot in general play. Often enemies will be weak to certain moves. It's kinda like how enemies might have elemental weaknesses in traditional RPGs. It's also why you shouldn't give up if these moves don't work on a single enemy type. Could be they are just strong against it.

Last edited:

Mystary!

Arcane
Roll attacks into or behind. When you knock them down make sure you're hitting the smaller dude to end it quicker, the big brother regenerates.

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat dragon slayer armor first try. He was quite. I notice that both him and pontiff easily miss hitting my character because their attacks are too high.
He was a cool boss, much more difficulty when I played as a summon for someone.

typical user

Arbiter
Twin Princes require rhytm. You want to strike once between their combos or you will trade damage. Avoid horizontal charged attack as it can kill you from full hp unless embered. It helps strafing right as some of his attacks will miss you and staying as close as possible since his lunging attacks are easier to dodge. When Lothric summons homing missles and starts teleporting you want to focus on dodging his attacks and always be on the move or have your shield up. It is hard to describe but you can avoid those projectiles by strafing them which requires careful positioning since Lorian is going to do his 2-3 swing combo. After he teleports prepare to dodge unless he created distance which is a good moment for Estus chug while walking backwards and preparing for his charged horizontal slash. When you beat Lorian and Lothrc is ressurecting him you should strike him as many times as you can but saving just enough stamina for two rolls since he will cast AoE explosion during revive. If you kill Lothric first Lorian is going to die too which is much easier to do when he is reviving his brother. It was a cakewalk with bleed build using oni and ubadachi.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
You eventually break through, not just for one section but into the land of going through a new game with <20 or so deaths without ever losing your bloodstain. I was a complete cripple going through DS1 the first time.

Here's a woman in her 30s that has low action game skills going through DS1 blind with an annoyingly low number of deaths if you want to feel kinda stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

Clicked through a few vids and instantly disappoint when she started using magix.

These games so fucking clearly based around melee combat with a plethora of attacks, why would anyone want go boring as fuck -pew pew -pew pew mode ?
Cant people be conan for once, be manly, no waifus, no katanas, no magic.

And yes this is a mild case of butthurt...

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat oceirus first try, with 1 estus left. I swear, this game really picked up after the early game. The early game is weak but everything afterwards has been strong. Surprised to see untended greaves.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I've gotten a couple of friends to play with me this time - their first souls game - and I'm noticing the only thing that is really frustrating them is the flux in boss difficulty between one play and the next. They take most deaths to mobs as their own fault for one reason or another and learn to adjust accordingly but with a boss like Aldrich they get buttblasted that one run he won't use the arrow spam at all and another he'll toss it three times in a row. So basically one of them has developed the notion that beating a given boss solo is entirely luck dependent and with Aldrich he tries to homeward bone out as soon as he pulls back for the arrows. Which seems to really beat the point of the game - dying enough that you git gud - but aside from mocking him I don't know how to sell him on the 'get better by getting fucked' angle.

Mystary!

Arcane

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Don't panic and try to keep the camera on them at all times.

When he teleports wait for 1-2 seconds before you roll otherwise you will get hit. Basically roll but only when you absolutely need to roll.

Also you can punish him for almost all hits.

I will not lie when I say that they took me 2 hours to beat. It's a good fight.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

So, that's the purpose of that barrier :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom