Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didn't give a shit about lore in DS1 and DS2 and I didn't give a shit about DS3 in general.

But lore in DeS and BB is gud.

Silva

Arcane
I want to make a build around the Darkdrift. I'll start a fresh playthrough and kill Yuria for it even before entering Undead Settlement.

What's best class, stats, rings, etc. for it?

Since i started playing again DS games this time with mods, after playing for some time DS1 with Daughters of Ash mod i tried DS3 with Cinders mod this time, because i with my friend decided to play together DS3.

Cinders

Warning: Playing online with mods WILL get you softbanned. I don't really care because i don't play DS3 anymore and with friend we agreed to get softban and play with mods. So far though no softban.
Though you can make another steam account and family share ds3 to it and you can stay safe on your main account while family shared one will get softban. So you can eat the cake and have a cake.

It is pretty great, those are the main changes to how game is played:

- heavy armors got their absorpion increased so choosing them is now legit choice. You can really now stack up defense and see effect of it. Light armor is no longer superior choice.
- most of items locations changed.
- you get coals for infusions faster. You don't need to wait for end game to actually infuse something lol.
- roll cost is a lot higher. 3 rolls max at default endurance and you are out of stamina for a while. No rolling everywhere like vanilla.
- infusions now are not clear downgrade. hand infusions from item now add flat damage instead of scaling so they are more useful. A lot more weapons now can be infused.
- generally stamina regeneration is a lot slower, heavy armor stamina regen is especially brutal so no rolls for fat rollers really you get absorpion so face tank stuff.
- a lot of pieces of equipment got unique effects like milwood chest regenerates life, fallen knight hands give extra 100 poison res, each set has 1 piece of it which gives some effect. Some are very weak some are strong.
- you get a lot of FP from start so you can actually use those special abilities and magic.
- magic got completely re-balanced and i think this is the strongest part of mod. First of all FP now for both non magic and magic regenerates rather quickly. It is now completely possible to play with only magic. If you have in hand talisman, pyro flame or sorcery staff it will regenerate even faster.
You still need to those ashen flasks if you want to play spell only character because in longer fights that regen is still not that fast. My friend was DS3 hater and for the first time he actually used more ashen flasks than estus. Another side of rebalance is how much most of spells do damage and work. First of all most of spells are much faster now. Secondly most of them do a lot more damage now.
- New gear is rather nice. Nothing op but gives more variety.
- Same with bows, they got noticeable buff that takes them out of obscurity into legit weapon choice.
- Tons of changes to melee weapon to take some out of obscurity. They made for example frosting actual threat now instead of 10% life and 7% armor now it is 15% of health and 25% of armor

So.. with this mod you cannot spam rolls and attacks due to stamina overhaul, I take it. Does this mean it applies to enemies too or are they still the same unlimited stamina spammer shits?

Perkel

Arcane
This mod doesn't change enemies behavior or their mechanics.
It adjusts slightly hp of enemies and damage done. NG+ from what i have read is buffed a lot compared to vanilla.

praetor

Arcane
that sounds incredibly idiotic. it's "fixing" only one part of the problem while leaving the other huge part of it in

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
that sounds incredibly idiotic. it's "fixing" only one part of the problem while leaving the other huge part of it in
Who's to say there's even a problem? Everybody wants DS1 again. When DS3 came out, I was pissed too, because I wanted DS1. And then I realized, "Hey, I already have DS1."

DS3 is its own game. I like it for what it is. The only real problem with DS3 isn't the balancing, but the abysmal hitboxes and latency, which has always been an issue for the series.

I want to make a build around the Darkdrift. I'll start a fresh playthrough and kill Yuria for it even before entering Undead Settlement.

What's best class, stats, rings, etc. for it?

Figure it out.
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
dark souls 3 is a bloodborne clone with rehashed design ideas and a plot written a couple of weeks before the release.
Go ahead and regurgitate your favorite youtuber some more. Just because it's faster than DS1 doesn't make it Bloodborne. Trick weapons and WA are completely different, the healing mechanics are also completely different, the poise system actually exists, the plethora of magic exists, shields exist (and lots of different kinds of shields at that), armor can actually make a difference, there is no close analogue to guns... come on dude.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Sure, there's the obvious differences, but the actual design for how the developers want you to play (as in aggressively, even if you are wielding a shield) mirrors Bloodborne far more than it does either of the Dark Souls games that came before it. Not to mention that some of the locations (i.e. Highwall of Lothric) look like they're straight out of BB. Magic and poise "existing" in the game wouldn't negate how useless they are.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
DS3 is its own game.
dark souls 3 is a bloodborne clone with rehashed design ideas and a plot written a couple of weeks before the release.

Yeah but Dark Souls 3 was good.

Seriously, I couldn't not put it down until around 3/4's of the way in, then it did get a bit samey. But it was just so much more enjoyable & interesting compared to Bloodborne

Hyperion

Arcane
Go ahead and regurgitate your favorite youtuber some more. Just because it's faster than DS1 doesn't make it Bloodborne. Trick weapons and WA are completely different, the healing mechanics are also completely different, the poise system actually exists, the plethora of magic exists, shields exist (and lots of different kinds of shields at that), armor can actually make a difference, there is no close analogue to guns... come on dude.
Pretty much everything you mentioned that differentiates itself from Bloodborne was either shit, or nonfunctional at release and took them 6 months to fix.

Are you really trying to bury the fact that the Dark Sword had equal, or higher AR to some Greatswords on release? It was THE go-to weapon for 90% of the game, and was so strong nobody could bring themselves to unequip it except for spicing it up.

Let's not forget this little gem of a video that showcased everything your post got wrong for when most of us played this game, and left a terrible taste in our mouths:

And before you tell me to play it again: I did, after the 1st DLC. It still sucked. I still got bored at Lothric Castle. 4 playthroughs. Every single time.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Pretty much everything you mentioned that differentiates itself from Bloodborne was either shit, or nonfunctional at release and took them 6 months to fix.
Okay, like what? I think those attributes struck a good balance between a traditional DS feel and the quicker pace of Bloodborne.

Are you really trying to bury the fact that the Dark Sword had equal, or higher AR to some Greatswords on release? It was THE go-to weapon for 90% of the game, and was so strong nobody could bring themselves to unequip it except for spicing it up.
Nah, that was pretty gay. It's fixed now. And like I mentioned earlier, hitboxes are tied biggest problem -- SS have the same or greater range than a good bit of the GG. But when push comes to shove, PvE is doable with any weapon in the game, and PvP is just pure fun -- you should be able to make any build viable enough to enjoy. Only the literal faggots who take competing in a latency-ridden mess seriously are still upset by this kind of stuff.

I still got bored at Lothric Castle. 4 playthroughs. Every single time.
It's just a DS game. You're probably just bored of the formula, but are willing to enjoy DS1 for its nostalgia. There's definitely a reason they've ended the series and are branching out.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Okay, like what?
Weapon Arts had to be buffed and changed in functionality in the first major balancing patch, which, like I said, happened way too late and a lot of us moved on. In DS1 everyone bitched about the speed of chugging, so they nerfed it in DS2, and people fucking bitched anyway, so they went and put it back to where it was in the first. And we ended up getting the goddamn fucking Follower Sabre's WA as a result.

Poise was pretty much nonfunctional on release, and had to be VASTLY buffed because Strength weapons were completely worthless in both PvP and PvE. Trading a small hit for a great hammer / axe pancake were nonexistent because a dagger would interrupt a Havel. Heavy Armor was complete shit until...what? The Ringed City DLC came out? Absorption, and Flat Damage had to be changed, poise values had to be bumped up (along with the poise change in and of itself of course).

The sole function of armor at release was identical to Bloodborne - the majority of your damage reduction came from just having something on a body part rather than the actual type of armor. Most people went for just shy of the 55% weight breakpoint (or whatever the number was) because if you got clipped at the end of the roll, you had less recovery frames. Rolls cost approximately 1/3 the stamina of a Guard Break Kick to boot (see wut i did thar?).

Magic was nerfed to the point where it's nearly impossible to clear levels with it at the early game because of a lack of recovery. Ashen Estus was balanced entirely for late game, and made casters suffer massively early on. In fact, I never bothered with it it was so bad, so I can't even speak on the whether or not there are powerful late game spells. They made FP costs way nastier than in Demon's Souls, but forgot to keep in the totally-balanced Royal Ring to allow some sort of passive regeneration at the cost of a precious ring slot. DeS didn't have as many useful / powerful rings, so it's less of a concern in DS3.

Yes, shields exist, but do we need to go into how much Stamina you lose on block, even with a Greatshield of Glory as compared to rolling? From made it quite apparent they favor the dodge spam playstyle of the loudmouth playerbase. In a medieval action game.

No, there's no equivalent of guns, because guns were actually semi-interesting in comparison to Parrying Daggers / Shields - you could actually sorta build some decent damage out of them with Bloodtinge and a supply of Bone Marrow Ash. Nothing quite like a surprise Cannon blast to the fucking face to some unsuspecting jackass / monster.

It's just a DS game. You're probably just bored of the formula, but are willing to enjoy DS1 for its nostalgia. There's definitely a reason they've ended the series and are branching out.
No, I'm completely sick of the franchise altogether. The games were good for what they were, but it went on too long. While I'm glad Sekiro is branching out into character action, I'm skeptical of them straying far enough away from the formula that's worked for them this whole time into something truly magical like Ninja Gaiden, or the original Devil May Cry.

Last edited:

Sòren

Arcane
people who enjoyed dark souls 2 more than 3 must be braindamaged. they are even suffering from a worse condition than people who prefer fallout 3 over new vegas.
ds2 was such a piece of shit. that world design. going from swamp to windmill to castle surrounded by a lava pit. not to mention that all of the areas were boring. oh and the great npcs like those guys that both send you to the same chest that ends up with the same result. brilliant! how ambivalent!
anything good about this game was added with scholar of the first sin, aldia for instance.
i also laugh everytime someone says how awesum the dlcs are. they are even worse than the main game.

Falksi

Arcane
people who enjoyed dark souls 2 more than 3 must be braindamaged. they are even suffering from a worse condition than people who prefer fallout 3 over new vegas.
ds2 was such a piece of shit. that world design. going from swamp to windmill to castle surrounded by a lava pit. not to mention that all of the areas were boring. oh and the great npcs like those guys that both send you to the same chest that ends up with the same result. brilliant! how ambivalent!
anything good about this game was added with scholar of the first sin, aldia for instance.
i also laugh everytime someone says how awesum the dlcs are. they are even worse than the main game.

I enjoyed both Dark Souls 2 & Fallout 3 over Dark Souls 3 & New Vegas.

But I enjoyed them all on the whole. I don't think it's anything to do with my brain damage, more just personal preference on the finer details.

Sòren

Arcane
didn't expect such a polite answer. i'm withdrawing my assessment that you are braindamaged, if that means anything to you! sry.

other guys here are still retards tho.

Wunderbar

Arcane
- i think dark souls 2 is better than dark souls 3, because it had some new ideas, while das3 was a rehash with badly balanced gameplay.
- yeah, but what about that elevator in the windmill that goes to the lava castle? literally unplayable, what a piece of shit of a game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it still Stab Everything in the Pooper Simulator like the first 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom