Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Dark Souls 3

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Makabb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. HarveyBirdman Savant

HarveyBirdman
    There's a huge difference between fast and medium roll.
    Medium rolling has a significantly longer windup and recovery.
    Fast rolling is pretty much impossible to rollcatch.
    Medium rolling is easy to rollcatch.

Armor in DS3 isn't garbage at all. You just don't understand how poise works.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Alkarl Learned

Alkarl
    That was just a joke man. I've rolled Greataxe, Great club, SS, and Twin blades. Their fine, but they aren't as good as just plain old SS R1 spam. That greataxe is a boss killer though.

Dominant strategy is still dominant strategy, and the contrast still exists, try that shit in Demon's or Dark Souls and you'll get wrecked, but hey, it works pretty good in Bloodborne, another game I hardly felt the need to try other weapons in. But at least in Bloodborne weapons were more interesting, Dark Souls 3 introduces completely irrelvant weapon arts which typically end up replacing old spells or amount to a weapon buff. The SS standard weapon art is nearly equivalent to plain R1 spam, the only difference is R1 spam doesn't cost fp. Same result though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HarveyBirdman Savant

HarveyBirdman
    I edited because I thought I was responding to you, Alkari.

Anyway, I disagree wholeheartedly.

>dominant strategy is dominant strategy
    Every strategy is viable for PvE, and big weapons are even better than straight swords.
    PvP is where the combat really shines. Straight swords are very easy to counter, especially R1 spam. R1 spammers are begging to get murked.
    Everything has a counter (except for free-aimed exploding crossbow bolts, which really break the game, but thankfully most people aren't cheesy faggots).

>not trying other weapons
    Your loss man, seriously.
    There's not much reason to try other weapons in Bloodborne, because they all play the same way.
    On the other hand, DS3 has incredible variety. SS is meat and potatoes. The rest of the game beckons.

>weapon arts are useless
    Whaaaa? Weapon arts are fantastic.
    You mentioned straight swords. Not the sexiest WA, but still great: telegraphed attack with long range that breaks shields; R2 increases poise and halves incoming damage; can chain into other attacks; great for mind games.Totally different use than R1-R1.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alkarl Learned

Alkarl
    I'll give you the pvp points for sure. I tried some SS spam there and I got a couple people (must have been casul) but eventually I started trying other weapons and parrying feels so great in this games pvp. Roll catching is pretty easy too once you realize what needs done. If they hadn't shat on the pvp covenants it would be the best in the series, might still be really, Dark Souls 2 gets fucked by its own covenants and SM, so yeah. It's infinitely better than getting BS'd through the face in the remaster.

My main gripes are all pve, and even the past games, when it came to pve, there was no one way, but I just feel like this game really pushes fast light weapons and rolls thanks to how poise works and how many bosses are just combo machines. Pontiff has that stupid 9 hit combo, Dancer with her wooshy wooshy wooshy shit and the range. And the ones who don't try to wombo you to death all have this annoying thing where they will hold the anticipation frame of an attack at some variable length trying to catch you out. I hate that. I swear a lot of the bosses and enemies are reading my inputs sometimes.
    Speaking of inputs, I've had some pretty egregious buffering in this game. Nothing I didn't see in the others from time to time though, so business as usual I guess. But its compounded by this games desire to run at break neck speeds, I just really don't think Dark Souls mechanics and design mesh well with Bloodbornes engine and speeds.

^ Top  
  5. HarveyBirdman Savant

HarveyBirdman
    Covenants in DS3 are complete shit, and invasions are usually gank squads (which is really fun as an invader with an anti-gank build, but sucks for 1v1). The Undead Arena is the only real option for 1v1.

I always found bigger weapons easier for PvE in general. Big range, big damage, keep your distance, and don't get greedy. But I see your point. Freida would be pretty tough with great hammer.

Here's a fun build for you to try:
    pyromancer
    right hand -- chaos whip, blessed dagger
    left hand -- demon's scar, blessed caestus

Mastering the whip is tons of fun, and is the best kept secret in the game IMO.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    I beat the game first try by blocking everyone. Get good faggot

• Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Alkarl Learned

Alkarl
    And then I killed them in one hit. lol

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)