Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Souls is absolutely an RPG, explanation

JDR13

Arcane
there's a lot more RPG than action, e.g. you can make a build that will barely depend on reaction time at all.

:notsureifserious:

Paul_cz

Arcane
This is just insane. Nobody who has ever played Diablo and Dark Souls can reasonably say this.
I find it insane denying it. That said I do NOT deny that there are obvious differences in specifics (handcraft vs random generation etc like you mentioned). But in the end, both games are primarily about murdering hordes of monsters. I will consider Dark Souls an RPG when it gives me much more player agency and game mechanics to support different (noncombat) playstyles + detailed dialogue system. Basically, when it will become RPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and for me the conversations/dialogues and the choices i make in them are THE staple of an RPG game. if there are no conversations and/or choices to be made that way or if you can basically "111111" through the whole game to me it's already an RPG-light or rather, more "A-rpg" than "a-RPG". "silent protagonist" or "it's a mysteria, that you have to interpret yourself" is only an excuse for "we cheaped out on the writing team";

Ok so Wizardry and Might and Magic are not RPGs.

barghwata

Savant
It's just an Action/RPG hybrid, now which of the two it leans more towards is debatable, but it's certainly RPG enough to be considered a hybrid.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
But in the end, both games are primarily about murdering hordes of monsters. I will consider Dark Souls an RPG when it gives me much more player agency and game mechanics to support different (noncombat) playstyles + detailed dialogue system. Basically, when it will become RPG.
Man, I sure had a good time talking Werdna into commiting suicide in true, proper, supportive of non-combat playstyles role playing RPG game Wizardry:Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

Gibson

Learned
and for me the conversations/dialogues and the choices i make in them are THE staple of an RPG game. if there are no conversations and/or choices to be made that way or if you can basically "111111" through the whole game to me it's already an RPG-light or rather, more "A-rpg" than "a-RPG". "silent protagonist" or "it's a mysteria, that you have to interpret yourself" is only an excuse for "we cheaped out on the writing team";

Ok so Wizardry and Might and Magic are not RPGs.

compared to PS:T of Fallout, no, not really.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
but seriously: it's a 3d metroidvania - because it just is.

I got flak on here for saying this before, but... how much difference is there between Dark Souls and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night beyond 2D vs. 3D? Not much. Both have stats, loot, shops, dialogues, etc. Castlevania assigns your stats for you, but they're there, and the equipment you choose effects them. You also choose which "perks" you apply. It's the same shit but 2D, and I doubt many would call SotN an RPG. Which isn't me saying Dark Souls isn't an RPG, just that maybe these labels don't matter much in the end.

I bet you people would even think Soul Caliber is an RPG. You can create a character, it has a plot in which you can choose your path, distinct archetypes that are mutually exclusive, items, and ability modifiers. So what if it requires alittle bit of reflexes? Its a bonafide RPG.

barghwata

Savant
RPS says its the best RPG currently on PC, so it must be true

Haha RPS's Best RPGs list is hilarious, everytime i look at it, i remember how prestegious the codex truly is in comparison to everyone else.

Screenshot_32.png

Suicidal

Arcane
With that said, Dark Souls raised a generation of insufferable faggots who believe souls-like games are the most hardcorest things ever and every game should be compared to dork souls. A lot of those retards ended up in gayming journalism, so the hatred for DaS is at least partially justified.

This might have been true during the Demons/Dark Souls 1 era, because the genre was new and even semi challenging games weren't really a thing at that time. Especially critics wents nuts over that. Nowadays Dark Souls faggots always complain about how the games are not difficult enough (and critics made a total 180 on that, which will never not be hilarious to me).

Hardcore Souls/From software fanboys are chromosome hoarders that constantly complain that action game XYZ is not enough like Dark Souls, but when someone copies dark souls a bit too literally then they immediately bitch about how game XYZ is a Dark Souls clone and devs can't think for themselves.

Also, many times I noticed that the average soulsfag bitches about other games being not hard enough, but his 2 braincells immediately overload when he plays something like Nioh, where you can perform more than 2 different attacks with your weapon, or Surge 2, which has directional parrying and you can't just hammer the parry button like a monkey like in Sekiro and survive unscathed. Then suddenly the game in question is "needlessly complicated" or "unfair".

I think the Dark Souls series are good games but holy fuck their fanboys are almost Undertale level of cancer.

As for if they're RPGs or not - if Diablo and similar shit is considered "action RPGs" and then so should soulslikes, as they are basically 3rd person Diablo games with better combat.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
i remember how prestegious the codex truly is in comparison to everyone else.
Oh yea, Codexians are fucking Aristotles of our times. Never mind that they all played Fallout 3 and even loved Skyrim ("mods fixed it, guys!"), but refuse to play DS, one of the best RPGs of this century.

Last edited:

barghwata

Savant
Oh yea, fucking Aristotles of our times. Never mind that they all played Fallout 3 and even loved Skyrim ("mods fixed it, guys!"), but refuse to play DS, one of the best RPGs of this century.

Are you saying the codex prefer Skyrim and fallout 3 over Dark Souls?
:what:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh yea, Codexians are fucking Aristotles of our times. Never mind that they all played Fallout 3 and even loved Skyrim ("mods fixed it, guys!"), but refuse to play DS, one of the best RPGs of this century.

Sorry Bester, but Dungeon Siege sucked balls....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom