Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Souls is NOT a Metroidvania

Is Dark Souls a Metroidvania?

• No

• LOL, no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paper

Educated
I've seen the term "Metroidvania" mentioned quite a few times now. I'm guessing it is just an empty buzzword, but nevertheless... How would you define it? Please bear in mind that I have only seen a little of Metroid and Castlevania back in the day. Oh and I know that a later Metroid is first person, but that's about it.

blobber level design + NES action platformer gameplay + automap - difficulty of either = metroidvania

EDIT: 2D sidescrolling viewpoint

Momock

Augur
blobber level design + NES action platformer gameplay + automap - difficulty of either = metroidvania

1/ 2D sidescrolling is implied by NES action/platformer gameplay...
2/ Difficulty is relative to each game, not to a genre (tell me with a straigh face that the La-Mulanas aren't hard as hell). Also: there's no map in Castle in the Dark, oops!
3/ You totally missed what actually defines a metroidvania.

@Cornivus: a metroidvania is a Zelda-like in sidescroller form + some superficial "RPG" elements. A Zelda-like is an action/adventure game where each new item/upgrade gives you access to new moves and ways to interract with the world, wich gives you access to more of the map.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

1/ 2D sidescrolling is implied by NES action/platformer gameplay...
2/ Difficulty is relative to each game, not to a genre (tell me with a straigh face that the La-Mulanas aren't hard as hell). Also: there's no map in Castle in the Dark, oops!
3/ You totally missed what actually defines a metroidvania.

@Cornivus: a metroidvania is a Zelda-like in sidescroller form + some superficial "RPG" elements. A Zelda-like is an action/adventure game where each new item/upgrade gives you access to new moves and ways to interract with the world, wich gives you access to more of the map.
Only thing I'd add to that is that it's an open world, and the map opens up in a non linear way. If it's opening up in a linear fashion then it's not really any different from a normal sidescroller with upgrades along the way. Being able to get different items and upgrades in different orders and visiting new areas in different orders from other players is the thing that made the original zelda and metroid games so cool.

Momock

Augur
Only thing I'd add to that is that it's an open world, and the map opens up in a non linear way. If it's opening up in a linear fashion then it's not really any different from a normal sidescroller with upgrades along the way. Being able to get different items and upgrades in different orders and visiting new areas in different orders from other players is the thing that made the original zelda and metroid games so cool.
Hmmmm... okay, I buy it. But I don't know if "open world" is the right term.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The only metroidesque thing in Dark Souls is that ring that let's you walk into the lava and the interconnected levels. That's it, and it only applies to the first game.
there's a cat's ring in das2, which allows you to descend into majula pit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, you can do that with just straight up hp or the ladders too, so it doesn't really fit. Tbf the lava ring is the same way, and they both basically function as keys instead of actually changing the gameplay at all, which is a gripe I have with a lot of games trying to ape the genre. Double jumps or wall climbing or mist form are upgrades. The ability to move statues that only exist in front of 3 doors in the entire game or armour that only protects you from a single passageway is just a fancy key.
Hmmmm... okay, I buy it. But I don't know if "open world" is the right term.
I just meant open world as in being able to backtrack freely, to disqualify something like Spelunky or Iji, which would otherwise fit the description.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom