Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd rather know what Celerity is up to - do we know?

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm a sucker for Mike Mignola's comics and this game reminds me of his style. Presentation seems top notch from what I have seem as well.

All the talk about popamole grinding and etc put me off but since this has been on my backlist for quite a while and steam had a discount going... I got it. Hope I don't get too disappointed. Any mods I should try?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm a sucker for Mike Mignola's comics and this game reminds me of his style. Presentation seems top notch from what I have seem as well.

All the talk about popamole grinding and etc put me off but since this has been on my backlist for quite a while and steam had a discount going... I got it. Hope I don't get too disappointed. Any mods I should try?

The game is fun as long as you dont play it for 1EE7 hours and expect it to be some kind of lifestyle choice. Considering you bought it on sale you will easily get your monies worth. I never bothered with mods as there is more than enough content in the game and I never sperged out over the default systems as certain forum members here did. I am sure someone can point you in the direction of the best mods if you really cant stand playing it vanilla.

Wunderbar

Arcane
play vanilla first.

Gord

Arcane
There's also nothing wrong with using brightest dungeon mode or whatever the name is of the "fast" mode.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The "easy" difficulty mode doesn't make the game any easier (the enemy stats are the same), it simply cuts the grind. I'd suggest to even mod the game further to cut the useless grind even more and let you experiment freely, the basic rewards and xp can be changed with a text editor.

It's a charming game, but it's essentially.... an incredibly polished turd with a breathtaking athmosphere.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

The presentation is indeed great, a fantastic game in that one aspect. As to the rest, it's enjoyable for a while, don't be afraid. It's just that the game is grindy and repetitive in nature which means it gets old relatively fast. But up to that point it can be pretty fun. Go for it.

Barbarian

Arcane
First impressions(with about 9 hours sunk in): The game is indeed fun(even somewhat addictive)... and yes, it is a total grindfest. Also combat doesn't really have much in the way of strategy - the fact that characters can only have four abilities avaiable at a time is a big part of that. Planning which ability/party configuration to take into a particular dungeon is the only real thing in that sense.

The fact that no save scumming is available is the reason why so many normies say it is a "difficul" game I guess. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be the case, eh mostly anyway... if you fuck up and have some of your leveled characters die than you just have to recruit some more and grind them back up(wasting hours of your time in the process). Hopefully I will probably change my mind as I progress.

Atmosphere and art alone make this game somewhat worthwhile and I think I will try to finish it because of that(if I don't get bored/annoyed in the process). I will be starting a new game now that I understand the mechanics better.

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Props to Red Hook for finding a niche and riding the ensuing wave all the way to the bank.

Everyone always shat on crappy flash games with cutout animations, but as soon as Darkest Dungeon dropped it became a hit. Just shows you what atmosphere and aesthetics can do for a game.

Now if only the gameplay itself wasn't so fucking bad. :lol:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that no save scumming is available is the reason why so many normies say it is a "difficul" game I guess. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be the case, eh mostly anyway... if you fuck up and have some of your leveled characters die than you just have to recruit some more and grind them back up(wasting hours of your time in the process). Hopefully I will probably change my mind as I progress.
Remember that any town upgrades you purchase are permanent. It's not much, but it will help you rebound from losses more quickly. I recommend against starting a new game unless you want to slow things down for no reason. Just fire everyone and make new level 1 guys if you want to do that.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The start is very good, somewhat difficult because you're learning the mechanics and exploring each area, the atmosphere and art are amazing. But unless they've redesigned it since I played it, it's not going to get any better. It doesn't really get worse gameplay-wise but it's just more of the same and once you figure out what works and what doesn't it will get easier and more predictable. It used to be that after you beat all the bosses in each area you have to do it again with inflated stats, then do it yet another time with more inflated stats. The final dungeon has some new gimmicks but it's more or less the same thing. Each time you have to go through the same missions to unlock the boss fights. There's like 1-2 new common enemies in each area the second time around but that's about it, you don't get new abilities, there are no new traps, bosses use the exact same attacks and strategies etc.
Losing characters is meaningless. They're not unique in any way and you get new ones for free, there is no fail state no matter how many you lose or how long you take, the village never gets attacked, so you're only limited by how much grind you can take. Also the final dungeon has (had?) a fun mechanics - you can't send a character on a mission there after they've already been there once, so you need to grind a lot more characters to max level to complete it.
It's a damn shame but there really isn't much to this game other than art and atmosphere.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The game has a really nice atmosphere and is engaging for a good few hours.

Then the grind becomes real, and the rest of the game is a grind.

Until you beat it - and the reward is: you win! Play it again from the start!!

Ugh. No thanks.

Barbarian

Arcane
I see the point you are all making. I think I will drop this. I guess the money was worth the 12 hours or so of fun I had, but I can see how this will become an endless grind.

Is the expansion content or final dungeon/ending worth carrying this through some more *hundreds of hours?

*That is what I assume the whole grinding to hell and back will take - frankly I don't have that kind of time anymore, even if I enjoyed the game :(

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried to like this game, but it always ends up the same way. About 6 or 7 hours in I just finally stop giving a fuck because the grind makes the game completely unpleasant and that's coming from someone who plays Warframe.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think it has a really stellar soundtrack, too bad the OST you can purchase is severely lacking and doesn't include the dynamic themes such as low torchlight or hallway battle music. The art style is cool and stands out, and even though the writing can come off as pompous it has the sense to be restricted to a few sentences. I like to think they know how fucking silly some of it sounds and embrace it. "Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue." When I heard that my screen turned purple from the prose overload.

My one problem is how the gameplay itself is easy to auto pilot through. Once you learn how godly stuns and DOTs are, the game becomes trivial in its challenge. Even the eponymous "Darkest Dungeon" falls victim to it. They also do one of the great gaming sins and make the final boss a cinematic experience than a challenging one.

Cool game, but the lack of meaningful tactical depth in its combat brings it down.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
First impressions(with about 9 hours sunk in): The game is indeed fun(even somewhat addictive)... and yes, it is a total grindfest. Also combat doesn't really have much in the way of strategy - the fact that characters can only have four abilities avaiable at a time is a big part of that. Planning which ability/party configuration to take into a particular dungeon is the only real thing in that sense.

Atmosphere and art alone make this game somewhat worthwhile and I think I will try to finish it because of that(if I don't get bored/annoyed in the process). I will be starting a new game now that I understand the mechanics better.

I finished game without any important characters dying (not counting 1 wipe where i lost 2 of them, but that was it).

Ofc you can grind back - you would prefer game-over at wipe? - but only if you are bad you will need it.

Barbarian

Arcane
Well I'm carrying on with this, let's see how far I can take it. I lost one of my best characters against the "prince of swine" boss, but other than that no big setback. I'm still on the "darkest" difficulty playthrough(hope I don't regret not picking "radiant"). So far the game is not hard, but I can see how losing several well set characters would be a tragedy.

"Ironman" mode being standard in all difficulties is a nice touch. The game has a system where it saves after every action, so not even ctrl+alt+del undoes anything(I tried after losing that charcter :P). That is why normies ree so much about the gme difficulty I guess.

Some classes seem really overpowered(shieldbreaker and highwayman), some seem pretty worthless("abomination", although possiblu the coolest class doesn't seem to work well at least in earlier levels).
Ironically the most useful/must-have character seems to be the antiquarian. Even though she is worthless fighting enemies she pretty much doubles the loot and accelerates the grind twofold.

Barbarian

Arcane
A couple of questions:

I failed the second shieldbreaker nightmare. Will it spawn again? Or will it just skip to the next one if she gains a level?

What is the point of fighting the shambler? I didn't get much loot out of it. Nice boss fight and all but...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom