Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Wunderbar

Arcane
I failed the second shieldbreaker nightmare. Will it spawn again? Or will it just skip to the next one if she gains a level?
you can always hire a new one.

What is the point of fighting the shambler? I didn't get much loot out of it. Nice boss fight and all but...
shambler drops ancestral trinkets (candle, map, idol, etc). But at a certain point he stops dropping them and gives you trapezohedrons.

Max Damage

Savant
Bought this game last year during sale, it's incredibly grindy, and content is sparse. Crimson Court makes everything even worse by mixing in annoying monsters that spread disease, take away personality from dungeons, and make you run missions for blood vials (even more mindless grind, oh, the joy!). I would fix the game by either adding more content or removing 90% of the grind and retarded design decisions like adventurers refusing to go dungeoneering where it's "beneath them" (seriously, what the absolute fuck, this doesn't make sense either gameplay- or storywise) , but since that's not viable for me, all I can do is to warn everybody else: move along, it's not worth your time (unless you're into masochism and self-cuckolding).

Dayyālu

Arcane
Bought this game last year during sale, it's incredibly grindy, and content is sparse. Crimson Court makes everything even worse by mixing in annoying monsters that spread disease, take away personality from dungeons, and make you run missions for blood vials (even more mindless grind, oh, the joy!). I would fix the game by either adding more content or removing 90% of the grind and retarded design decisions like adventurers refusing to go dungeoneering where it's "beneath them" (seriously, what the absolute fuck, this doesn't make sense either gameplay- or storywise) , but since that's not viable for me, all I can do is to warn everybody else: move along, it's not worth your time (unless you're into masochism and self-cuckolding).

That's why you fire the .txt files that have everything in them, juice up the rewards and the XP 500%, cut down the grinding and the level limits and enjoy a pretty game with some tight gameplay.

I am completely serious, cheater Darkest Dungeons is a very nice experience. You can experiment freely with classes without fear of losing them (two missions and you are up to max level again, why should you care) and artificial limits like money and items become a non-factor.

Mod it and finish it. Design-wise, it's a flawed gem with incredibly pretty graphics and audio.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't wanna mess with the txt files myself, I want someone else to fuss over it for years and years to get it just right. Are there any decent rebalance mods for this thing so I can actually finish it once in my life time?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Don't they have some difficulty level that reduces a lot of the grind?

I'll be real though, if you like the challenge then you should only play the first two levels of the actual Darkest Dungeon location. The final two are jokes you can skip.

Efe

Erudite
I don't wanna mess with the txt files myself, I want someone else to fuss over it for years and years to get it just right. Are there any decent rebalance mods for this thing so I can actually finish it once in my life time?
you could try fellow codexer celerity's mod

the_shadow

Arcane
Can anyone explain to me why this RPG isn't more popular on the Dex? I've sunk a considerable amount of time into it, and I can say without a doubt it's one of the best 'newer' RPGs I've played. It oozes atmosphere, the difficulty is challenging without being unfair, there is a gradual and constant learning curve, the ruleset, characters and inventory are simple on the surface but allow for a surprising amount of tactical combinations (similar to chess), and all of the characters seem relatively well balanced while having their own distinct flavor.

It's not just an enjoyable and well-balanced game, but it has a lot of heart and doesn't try to ride on the nostalgia of being a 'spiritual successor' to a popular niche game from decades ago.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Listen, we tolerate diverse set of degenerates & deviances here, even have entire subforums for practicing them like Chinese subforum for JRPGs and other anime related things. Some here are self-admitted footishars even, and we didn't force them to bow down before our superior fetish taste and kiss our feet (plus they'd probably enjoy it).

What I'm tryin to say? It's fine to have shit taste every once in a while, just make sure it doesn't grow into a habit

Darkest Dungeon is fine but ONLY for first 300h, you're probably now on 299th h, so soon you'll have to find a way to spend rest of your lifetime on something else, perhaps on making anthi-thesis to this thread and shit talking DD on Codex 4LIFE...

Tigranes

Arcane
Grind is only a grind if there is no sense of danger, progression, or other form of excitement to give you a reason to be there, right?

From that perspective, my experience with Radiant Mode is that it's fairly grindy, but not excruciatingly so. From what I've seen, things like Crimson Court seem to make things worse, so I haven't bothered.

It's a limited game with great atmosphere that ultimately suffers from questionable design decisions, but it's one that has an excellent core gameplay loop and can, over the first few dozen hours, give a lot of enjoyment. If I drop it after 30 or 50 hours because the game's limitations now come to the fore, I'm not going to spurge about it.

I have to say that for all the complaints, one thing it does right about the 'grind' is that when you lose characters, it doesn't often feel unfair. I don't think editing text files and getting 500+% xp is the way, at that point I might as well just roll with unkillable characters. It certainly has a problem with bringing new characters up to speed though - I'd say it's a lot more annoying here than in BB.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Crimson Court got nerfed pretty hard, its not that scary now, you really miss out if you skip it as it adds some variety with new enemies/bosses and slightly different format for dungeon crawling.

Im actually curious if they may use the CC dungeon "reveal as you go" mechanic for DD2, I find it more enjoyable than the base game "show the whole map at start". Though now that I think about the final end game dungeons do use that? tbh I rarely get that far in that game as I usually burn out and get bored before then...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you go in blind the first, say... 400h are fun. Despair settles in after.

40 hours is far enough for most people or even far less.
It's really fun for the first 2 or 3 hours, the intro is amazing, the first contact with the dungeon is great, then this very good first impression carries you a couple of hours and then, the grind takes its toll.

Well, if you're retarded, it could take 400 or even 1337h ...

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you go in blind the first, say... 400h are fun. Despair settles in after.

40 hours is far enough for most people or even far less.
It's really fun for the first 2 or 3 hours, the intro is amazing, the first contact with the dungeon is great, then this very good first impression carries you a couple of hours and then, the grind takes its toll.

Well, if you're retarded, it could take 400 or even 1337h ...

What do you want from my life, dude?

Like... what is the purpose of this post?

Waste of time spent typing it, really.

You want me to tell you I had fun all the way to Stygian, where I explored each gameplay feature with every patch? You want me to tell you I had fun with combinations of parties in ALL of the areas?

Here's the fucking dumb part? Did you check my display pic? I *like* Dark Souls. I love punishing games. I loved that it tested me, and when a hero died it meant something, at the same time nothing.
I find it cathartic that I press on while my heroes do, and don't.

Wanna know the real shitty mechanic of this game? That moment on week 30 or so when you receive a free ressurect. THAT is the bullshit of this game.
The fact that you lose your unique items. THAT is the bullshit of this game.
And that is 5% of the game.

When they fix it, if they do, in the 2nd one, they might make an awesome game.

Notice what you can do? You can roleplay, you can have fun.

Now reflect on your post, and realize how amazingly smart it was, dude. I am so happy to have read it, and that you have proven to me how superior, smart and charismatic you are.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I have to say that for all the complaints, one thing it does right about the 'grind' is that when you lose characters, it doesn't often feel unfair. I don't think editing text files and getting 500+% xp is the way, at that point I might as well just roll with unkillable characters. It certainly has a problem with bringing new characters up to speed though - I'd say it's a lot more annoying here than in BB.

The gameplay is tight for sure, but I like to experiment a lot, or to play at my pace. The .txt edit came out when I almost finished my first run (third DD) and got a hard drive crash. After, well, cheating, I discovered that dismantling the bosses at my pace, with teams I'd like to build even if a tad suboptimal reignited my love for such a pretty game.

It has been endlessly told that the DD devs are hellbent to make you play the game as they see fit. Nah, not up for it, I play for fun, even if I need to break a thing or two. It helps that the enemies are the same, meaning the fights by themselves are on the same difficulty level.

Crimson Court got nerfed pretty hard, its not that scary now, you really miss out if you skip it as it adds some variety with new enemies/bosses and slightly different format for dungeon crawling.

Thank fuck, CC when released was utterly insane and the bosses finetuned to death. Now it's far more fun!

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I played this game a year or two ago and I would keep doing dungeon expeditions but almost all of the money I would make would end up going towards healing people and buying equipment and I wasn't progressing at all and then people would die and I got bored and quit. I got as far as the boss with the big cauldron but couldn't beat it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game is carried by its art and presentation. Gameplay is mediocre at best and gets boring after ten hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom