Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darklands designer Arnold Hendrick Q&A on Steam forum

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    I accidentally visited Steam community for Darklands and saw a thread made by Arnold Hendrick himself @_@: http://steamcommunity.com/app/327930/discussions/0/343788552550787364/

On the possibility for Darklands sequel:

What he would have done differently with Darklands:

Go to the thread if you want to see more (or maybe to ask your questions.)

Apparently he's currently semi-retired and playing games he wanted to play: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198022734065

He's very active at CK2 Steam forum, heh: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198022734065/posthistory/

(Also he owns Dungeon Rats, but not AoD, and played few hours of HoniePop. )

• Brofist Brofist x 25
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    From the sounds of it, a Darklands sequel would be an MMO if he could do it, which would be pretty decline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    10 Million sounds like a big budget. I would produce a game of similar scope for 1M.

Breakdown of costs:
    1. Pyke for 100k to do graphics,
    2. Styg 100k for mechanics and programming,
    3. MCA primary writing for 200k,
    4. Vince 100K to take care of general management,
    5. Irenaeus for 50K - social media strategy,
    6. 20K to MRY for consulting on proper usage of the more esoteric adjectives.

Leaves 430K for blackjack and hookers.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Funny x 9
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. zwanzig_zwoelf Stargazer Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Glad to know there are fellow Philip Glass fans among the devs. :salute:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hendrick isn't much of a nostalgist. See our interview with him: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8246

• decline decline x 9
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    I remember this interview. He sounded like the deulded kind of dev who would gravitate toward the market areas of what he thinks are easy money, i.e MMOs which were still hot items in 2012. Also, tablets were not and still aren't the next "big" platform for RPGs. He was wrong about everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    I still want to see Guido Henkel making a baby game with this guy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Crooked Bee wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The list of games he plays on Steam is surprisingly (mostly) popamole-free.

Also lol HuniePop.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. mitochondritom Educated

mitochondritom
    :lol:

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Salute Salute x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Darklands 2 confirmed, Hendrick's natural death just needs to happen first

Where are our Bulgarians

^ Top  
  12. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Why you guys making fun of Huniepop? I have that game in my library too.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. an Administrator Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
    Codex's fundraiser when?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I hope Sawyer carefully reads it and makes notes.

^ Top  
  15. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    ^ Top  
  16. Incantatar Arbiter

Incantatar
    ^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The time and money required seems excessive for a remake, seeing as the basic design is already in place, but then Mr. Hendrick said that amateurs tend to underestimate those things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/327930/discussions/0/343788552550787364/?tscn=1484177713

question (open)
    Scythesickle

Hey, good to get a chance to send a message at you :) Darklands probably has the best game manual I've ever read. Still love to go through it. I'm sure others have gone over my own favorite features of the game, from the strength/endurance system, to the different weapon attributes, the open-ended adventuring (as opposed to rigid questing that seems popular now, probably because it's easier to catch bugs that way? Less fun, in my opinion), the Traveller style character creation, the as-the-people-would-have-imagined-it perspective, to the alternative way to handle magic and downtime that I feel have yet to be rivaled.

One thing I think about a lot, something you brought up on Matt Chat and here, is your preference now for a database system in order to manage variables. As someone curious about game design, I was wondering if you had any more to say on that front. It seems like a lot of the more ambitious games now tend to either back away from their ambition toward the end of development, or lose track of all of what they're trying to do and introduce a lot of errors. I'm guessing what you mean is to have all the quest data, accumulated player character and party attributes, faction stats, unique items, et al all stored in lists that could interrelate, allowing for the system to be used by a quest designer to, say, make the person who happens to be holding the crown to be targeted by creatures trying to steal it back, etc, rather than trying to spend extra time programming it all out each time a new quest was designed, and search for individual values in large lists that may wind up being cluttered and more prone to error. Or am I misunderstanding?

Also, my limited experience of Scrum was not a positive one, but maybe there were other problems contributing to why this was so. I guess some structure and regular expectations would tend to help matters, but I can't help but wonder if the problem hasn't quite been cracked yet, at least not for all sizes of teams.

Finally, have you had a chance to talk to the folks at Oblivion? Some of them seem to be fans of your work, at the very least! :)

Thanks for your time.

Hmmm. Wonder if he knows about Sawyer's potential historical RPG. (Though that's probably at least a few years away.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rezaf Savant

rezaf
    I dunno, if I had an open Lead Game Designer position for my Darklands 2 project and would invite the guy without knowing of his role in the original, and then prose him the questions he tackled above and would get those same replies, I'd probably go "Don't call us, we'll call you!" and he'd never hear from me again.

Because, from my perspective, he wants to go into a lot of directions I wouldn't want my DL2 project to go. He's also very incoherent - his "what would you have done differently" include stuff he would have done differently back in the day (project management, translation, data storage) but also many things he would like to do if he were to make a sequel today (fancy 3d models etc.).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. iluvatar Novice

iluvatar
    His 10 million estimate is way off. A faithful sequel to Darklands without any of the bells and whistles of AAA gaming shouldn't even cost 1 million to make, let alone 10.

Thankfully he's not the only person capable of designing a menu-driven medieval sandbox RPG. I'm sure that a small group of fans could produce a better sequel than the one he's envisioning on a modest kickstarter budget.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I agree.

In general, which of the old geezers that have done great things in the distant past would you trust today? Molyneux? Chris Roberts (well, that's still open, but looks bad)?

^ Top  
  22. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Dat feel when you realize those "80s/90s cRPGs would have been like Skyrim/WoW if they had the technology" jokes are more true than you think :prosper:

• Despair Despair x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gollop.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    How is Chaos Reborn (I honestly don't know anything about it)?

^ Top  
  25. kris Arcane

kris
    i really like the idea of a character creation like this. Of course it work best within the concept of certain games. I think it would be a great fit with a Mount and blade like game as player age and position is more of a factor there. Obviously the reason it is not used in many "normal" RPGs are because their line of progression is generally from "noob" to "master" or "demi-God"; and then you normally start as someone quite young.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)