Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darklands designer Arnold Hendrick Q&A on Steam forum

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Arnold Hendrick's early impression of Battle Brothers:

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    About the spiritual successor:

I wonder if Piko Interactive now also owns Darklands, and if they're willing to give him a license.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Who might that be :D

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I can think of at least 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Oh right his opinion about turn-based vs. RTwP combat, asked by deuxhero. Not surprisingly...:

For reference, his response to a similar question in the 2012 Codex interview:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    The argument about choosing real-time with pause over turn-based because it would appeal to more people would have less impact today since in no way you would make a game such as Darklands to begin with if you wanted to appeal to more than a small bunch of classic RPG fanatics, who will play it anyway wether real-time with pause or turn-based.

However I actually wonder how accurate the argument is in the context of when Darklands was made, because I have no precise idea of the time stamps but I don't remember being any impressed by the combat in Shadow Sorcerer or in Darkmere and didn't spend that much time beyond party creation in Megatraveller ; I spent more time and then certainly had more fun with Legacy of Sorasil, Pools of Darkness or Blade of destiny back then, so retrospectively I can say I didn't prefer real-time and if I hadn't been a child who couldn't point out the difference between real-time and turn-based combat and didn't buy games based on probably mostly arbitrary considerations then I think I could have bought one because it's turn-based or reject another because it's real-time, not the opposite way. Besides he says he made his game real-time with pause because the most successful RPGs were one-character real-time games (I trust him on that) but controlling a party is different. Ultimately concerning players older than me I have no idea how many reviewers praised the game or how many players bought Darklands partially because of the real-time with pause feature and would have disregarded or hated it for being turn-based, probably many more than I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    TB games don't lend themselves too well to trash mobs. Dispatching bandits in clothes with clubs or wolves way under your party "level" should be over quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Realtime was never better. In fact it sucked bigtime. Realtime worked for rpgs in that period of time only once. And that was Dungeon Master and its realtime blobbers it spawned after. It was "immersive" to explore a dungeon in realtime in first person (fake) 3D. It was like you were totally really there in the dungeon. Yes, back in the day that was the VR of its time. And realtime with its "action" was something a pc/console could provide that a boardgame / pnp rpg didn't have. I always thought it sucked and never got the hype of anything "realtime" in rpgs when it comes to party-based ones *shrug*

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    You and everyone else who ever played it.

This wasn't even an issue at the time. Scorpia wasn't saying "if u like RTWP ur a faggot" back then. It was a game with a lot of new, interesting ideas and the combat system was one of them. It was criticized back then for bugs, not for gameplay. They actually came up with good rules for weapons vs. armor in medieval combat, something that nobody else has accomplished to this day except in in Dominions. And that actually mattered to people in the early '90s, because a lot of us cared about history. The Codex would have you believe that everyone wanted to play games about elves and fairies and eskimos as long they were turn-based, but truly prestigious RPG players of that era had more refined tastes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Q&A about the overworld map:

This one is a repeated Q&A but he breifly mentions about the possible spiritual successor at the end:

Btw he recently played Tyranny, PoE, and D:OS: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198022734065/games/

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Simply reading his posts makes me feel inadequate. Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I have come to believe now that "worked on a fantastic game before" is no guarantee that they still have that talent or ever had it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I hope he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve which he is not talking about, because expecting to catch anyone's attention nowadays with a series of scripted interactions interspersed with mediocre RtwP combat is dellusional thinking. Just getting an isometric RtwP combat system right is a major challenge.

^ Top  
  14. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Thank you for this post, it may save me a lot of time for my next D&D campaign. I'm not so often on DriveThruRPG so i have missed this one.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    ^ Top  
  15. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    So prove the devs of King of Dragon Pass. Or the devs of Prince of Qin.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Merlkir Arcane Developer

Merlkir
    Harsh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    More Q&As.

On rarity of historical setting:

About the text-based town menu in the original, and the possible successor. Asked by Galdred:

JEWS, or lack thereof in the original:

About German translation, from another thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/327930/discussions/0/1694914735992437902/

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    The fact said itself. As long as A Sharp have not release their currently developing game, their record is still a game 20 year old. A great game, to be sure, but still 20 year-old

^ Top  
  19. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    I guess Jesus was a loser too. What has he done for us lately?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Jesus is a fictional character or a real character that has been deified by people who believe in miracles. The belief in the things that Jesus said and he as an ideal are immeasurable in value for human civilisation. The european civilisation was built on the christian belief and perhaps is not sustainable without the christian belief and religion. But do not compare a fictional character without other confirmation source than the bible, with a real person.
    People who cannot reproduce their successes didn't understand the cause of the success in the first place. A blind chicken also finds a corn / seed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    On the title and the cover art:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  22. DoomIhlVaria Cipher Patron

DoomIhlVaria
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    Marketing actually kicked back L.M. Jones' original version of the painting because the female warrior's breasts weren't considered sufficiently heroically proportioned. He originally just painted the breasts of his female model as-is. He then had to paint over it. It's kind of noticeable on the painting in person but the scan used on the box art is so dark that it isn't really noticeable. It's worth noting L.M. Jones had already taken it upon himself to seriously enhance the muscles of the model for the male warrior.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    About the spiritual successor, he is determined to make it happen :salute::

edit: a bit more detail from a comment at his Steam profile:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • incline x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    uh-oh! :lol:

uh-oh! x3 :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Still using an aol address in 2018

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)