Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darksiders 3

Suicidal

Arcane
IGN complained a bit about the game being particularly unforgiving so that piqued my interest.

From what I've seen on steams people playing on the hardest difficulty seem to be dying over and over.

troupeg

Educated
It's so funny to me. I'm seeing such a disparaging disconnect between reviewers and streamers. Reviewers hate it, but I checked like 40 streams and they all said "I love it so far, I have no idea why the reviewers are trashing it"

What's 'funny' about gaming lolmedia being full of inept cuck fucks who can't play videogames? Why do people even fucking read reviews anymore?

This is a game reviewer failing at the tutorial and the first level of a 4 button game whose sole objective is scroll right and shoot shit:

sullynathan

Arcane
Nah, In reality I think this game is likely kinda shit. Darksiders was nothing to write home about except being a god of war + Zelda clone. It was just above average. The sequel was practically worse in every way with a focus on looting and rather poor rpg mechanics.
This game being even worse than that is honestly not that surprising, the mediocre series has just been on a decline.

A horse of course

What's 'funny' about gaming lolmedia being full of inept cuck fucks who can't play videogames? Why do people even fucking read reviews anymore?

This is a game reviewer failing at the tutorial and the first level of a 4 button game whose sole objective is scroll right and shoot shit:

Balance and difficulty curve is a critical component of gnome design. The 3.5/5 guy criticized the early bossfights for being too hard (and some of that being down to poor mechanics, like the schizoid camera) compared to everything after that being a cakewalk (sry for racism). The Cuphead/nuDoom clips were examples of players who were either incredibly stupid or "casual" gamers (i.e. not even experienced with gamepad FPS or platformers), whereas Darksiders 3 looks like a pretty shitty game which shills can fall back on as being "too hardKKKore for casual babbies xD".

Definitely disappointed at how the game seems to have turned out after DS2, but it seems they tried to make a B/AA title on a Kickstarter-tier budget and paid the price. If the art direction were worth it (i.e. big tiddies) I might've bought it for ethical reasons.

I mean Darksiders has always been popamole garbage, the first game is OK because it's a sort of Zelda with cool level design (despite the Joe Madureira XTREME 90s 'TUDE art style), but the 2nd game is utter trash with linear levels, loot drops and all that sperg shit.

Why people would pay 60USD for a new one is beyond me.

SpoilVictor

Educated
Yeah looks like mediocre game just like rest of the series, probably slightly worse due lacking those sweet THQ (R.I.P) dollars.

I liked first one - pretty nice game to blow steam off slashing things. Second one not so much - unnecessary loot mechanic, boring level design, bland world.
Good thing is it will drop price quickly so I'll grab it for 10$ or so. Bad thing is that THQ Nordic is snagging IPs, but seem unable to produce quality game:argh:

J1M

Arcane
i will just wait for someone on codex tried it and share their opinion.
I don't waste time with professional reviews either. They are incompetent, unqualified, and paid off.

I will post a 2 hour "refund or continue" review later tonight.

Disclaimer: I loved Darksiders 1 and was very unhappy when they made Darksiders 2 a Prince of Persia/Borderlands mashup instead of a Zelda/God of War one.

J1M

Arcane
i will just wait for someone on codex tried it and share their opinion.
I don't waste time with professional reviews either. They are incompetent, unqualified, and paid off.

I will post a 2 hour "refund or continue" review later tonight.

Disclaimer: I loved Darksiders 1 and was very unhappy when they made Darksiders 2 a Prince of Persia/Borderlands mashup instead of a Zelda/God of War one.
Okay here is my "refund or continue" review.

Bottom line: I refunded it because Darksiders 3 does not allow you to invert the x-axis for the camera. (First game let you do this.) This option is also missing from the Xbox Accessories app to override the input. But don't worry, both allow you to invert the y-axis, so leaving it out was apparently a really stupid decision, and not a lack of technical ability.

From the little I did see they have taken a number of inspirations from the Dark Souls franchise. Combat feels slower (odd, considering your character is called Fury and is impatient and reckless in cutscenes) and you are intended to either wait for a telegraphed opening or a counter-attack opportunity. Some of the environmental things I saw suggest the other inspiration for this game is Metroid. The first Darksiders felt more like God of War, where you make your own opportunities with combos, etc. I only saw the first of 7(?) bosses, and it was jarring the way trying to put in a little extra chip damage was punished.

It ran smoothly on my 1070GTX with max settings. Not a surprise for a console game that is ported properly.

Some of the English terms used odd word choices, like maybe there's an apt Swedish word that was directly translated. Only seems to affect the 'game' part, not the 'cinematic' part.

Main character comes across as petulant and impatient instead of personified fury.

Will give it another shot if they fix the x-axis problem, but it's hard to recommend to anyone at full price. The camera and stilted combat pacing make it feel slightly off, even though it's probably intentional because the creators view this franchise as "mash up two popular action games" instead of "zelda with god of war combat is awesome".

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So should I wait till it's on sale, deep deep sale or not get it at all? I enjoyed Darksiders 1 and 2. But something just looks off with Darksiders 3

J1M

Arcane
So should I wait till it's on sale, deep deep sale or not get it at all? I enjoyed Darksiders 1 and 2. But something just looks off with Darksiders 3
You sound interested enough to buy it and try it for 2 hours. The x-axis issue has me waiting for a patch because there are other new products for me to play before I have time to figure out a DirectInput hack.

Those unfamiliar with the series should play the first one and wait for a sale.

deama

Prophet
Dang, was hoping this would have some redeeming qualities, I heard that the story isn't even all that decent either :/

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
All the comparisons to Dark Souls make me want to finally finish Darksiders 1 and 2 so I can play 3. I played the original, bounced off despite liking it a great deal (shit happened IRL). Started the remaster, marveled at how gorgeous it looked and ran in downscaled 4K, but shit happened IRL and I bounced off.

To me the first game played a bit like Devil May Cry, only with slightly less complicated combat, more platforming and Metroidish elements. It had a fun art design, an interesting universe, and seemed about as good as most mainstream, AAA, action games could get. I'll probably install and try my 3rd attempt at finishing it this weekend (I'm sick of Monster Hunter).

Edit: Just read some reviews and Darksiders 3 doesn't sound promising. Seems they cut all fun stuff (i.e. variety in combat, weapons, combos, and builds) and just made it stupidly hard, but we'll see.

Last edited:

A horse of course

To me the first game played a bit like Devil May Cry, only with slightly less complicated combat, more platforming and Metroidish elements.

I felt it was quite the opposite. Devil May Cry encourages chaining combos, aerial control and such, whereas Darksiders 1 combat is more "puzzle-like" in the manner of Zelda and (as you mention) Metroidvania titles - particularly the boss fights. Darksiders 2 is much more inclined towards purer action-driven combat.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Edit: Just read some reviews and Darksiders 3 doesn't sound promising. Seems they cut all fun stuff (i.e. variety in combat, weapons, combos, and builds) and just made it stupidly hard, but we'll see.

If anything that's just going back to the first game, though. Darksiders 2 was the one that added a metric ton of stuff. For better or worse in some cases.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Found Darksiders 2 to be pretty shitty. They made the world huge and empty just to justify the horse, the random loot killed my enjoyment of exploration and they added the poop wall climbing that AC had popularized at the time. Most of the boss fights were really underwhelming as well and felt more like mid-boss design from Darksiders 1. Dungeon design itself was nothing to write home about either. Darksiders 1 just did everything better without having unnecessary "RPG" mechanics because they didn't add anything to the games.

A horse of course

If anything that's just going back to the first game, though. Darksiders 2 was the one that added a metric ton of stuff. For better or worse in some cases.

DS1 didn't have anything remotely Souls-esque, though. 3 seems to be closer to 1 in scale (i.e. no budget) plus a hodgepodge of recent fad mechanics.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Darksiders 2 is quite literally the only western action game that get's the feel of combat right, crunchy, fast chains of absolute mayhem you can stylize. Loved it. Darksiders 3 is a massive step off for western action games... ..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom