Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darksiders Genesis - every Strife gets his day

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
https://darksiders.com

https://af.gog.com/game/darksiders_genesis?as=1649904300

I... kinda expected it to turn out this way, to be perfectly honest. Nothing except this cinematic trailer yet. Don't even know if this is the correct subforum.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/06/darksiders-genesis-announced-a-e3-2019?
Darksiders Genesis will be an action-RPG, however this time it will be a top-down affair along the lines of the Diablo series. Players are tasked with defeating Lucifer and his minions, as Lucifer is taking actions that are upsetting the Balance. This means people need to fight through different areas to defeat any enemies that would threaten their mission. The first trailer shows Strife fighting alongside War as they tackle hordes of opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Yet another ARPG, and from a completely forgettable franchise too. How utterly uninteresting.
I'd be slamming that meh button really hard right now if I had access to it.

Falksi

Arcane
These games will keep growing & evolving, until one day they reach their pinnacle and actually become Smash TV at last

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am thinking of getting this to play local co-op with my little brother. Seems like it could be decent enough.

Manx

Savant
They ruined Fury's original design for good goy points. The franchise is dead to me.

latest

latest

J1M

Arcane
Darksiders 1 was such a good game. The best parts of God of War and Zelda mashed together. :obviously:

Then they got confused and thought they needed to mash together two new games for each sequel prequel. :argh:

I completely understand the desire to build up the team by having a game focus on each of the horsemen, but prequels were not the way to do it. Especially not when the first and best game in your series ends on a cliffhanger. Now we are in a situation where you have to "re-educate" the audience on that cliffhanger because it was over a decade before you got around to continuing the story. They'll probably decide the only way to do that is to reboot the whole series.

PS: The voice actor for Strife is a big miss.

J1M

Arcane
I had no idea this was already out. Haven't played it yet, but now that it is out they can finally make a proper sequel to Darksiders 1.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I absolutely loved Darksiders 3 and now that Genesis came out I thought it's time to play the first two games too. The first one was a 6/10 for me - an above average experience, I did enjoy it. But I did get annoyed by the one-noteness of the combat - you can buy and use various weapons and moves but the only thing you really need is just to mash X and RB in a timely fashion. Everything else is cosmetic. And also the game got a bit too puzzly for me, by the time I reached the Black Throne area I kept peeking into walkthroughs to skip ahead. I WAY prefer the "more action, fewer puzzles" approach of D3. Also almost all the bosses were stupidly easy even on Apocalyptic, I beat most of them first try. Only Tiamat gave me trouble and it's only because of the stupid controller aiming. Then I grabbed M&K and smashed her first try too.

Now playing D2 and I like the combat and puzzles a bit more and the Diablo loot too but I have no idea what they were thinking with all those open-world areas. I've never seen such a pointless mechanics in a game like this. Also the bosses so far have been all easy-ish gimicks too. The bosses in Darksiders 3 are in a completely different league than the prequels.

The bottom line is Darksides 3 taught me to like hack-and-slashers which I had always avoided. They were too over-the-top for me. Now I can finally give shit like Bayonetta or DMC a try (although from the vids I saw DMC5 looks way too emo-teenage-edgy for my taste but I'll give it a fair chance).

sullynathan

Arcane
So I absolutely loved Darksiders 3 and now that Genesis came out I thought it's time to play the first two games too. The first one was a 6/10 for me - an above average experience, I did enjoy it. But I did get annoyed by the one-noteness of the combat - you can buy and use various weapons and moves but the only thing you really need is just to mash X and RB in a timely fashion. Everything else is cosmetic. And also the game got a bit too puzzly for me, by the time I reached the Black Throne area I kept peeking into walkthroughs to skip ahead. I WAY prefer the "more action, fewer puzzles" approach of D3. Also almost all the bosses were stupidly easy even on Apocalyptic, I beat most of them first try. Only Tiamat gave me trouble and it's only because of the stupid controller aiming. Then I grabbed M&K and smashed her first try too.

Now playing D2 and I like the combat and puzzles a bit more and the Diablo loot too but I have no idea what they were thinking with all those open-world areas. I've never seen such a pointless mechanics in a game like this. Also the bosses so far have been all easy-ish gimicks too. The bosses in Darksiders 3 are in a completely different league than the prequels.

The bottom line is Darksides 3 taught me to like hack-and-slashers which I had always avoided. They were too over-the-top for me. Now I can finally give shit like Bayonetta or DMC a try (although from the vids I saw DMC5 looks way too emo-teenage-edgy for my taste but I'll give it a fair chance).
DS1 - God of War + Zelda. It has way more puzzles than all the other games so it ends up feeling really long by the time you beat it, and being a Zelda clone also meant that the bosses were "puzzles" not really enemies you had to beat down all the time. Yea, it's a bit easy.

DS3 - really sucks ass. I don't think there's anything good in this game. Maybe it's because I'm playing it as a "souls" game and you can supposedly play it as a hack & slash, but everything is wrong. The bosses suck, framerate sucks, loading time sucks, level sucks, control sucks, etc.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Never heard about Darksiders, so I've expected remake of Strife.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darksiders 3 is more of a Souls-like. Not everyones cup of tea. Playing it now on PS4 actually. Long loading times is the biggest negative, gameplay wise I dont have much to complain about. As an action-puzzler it does its job really well.

I got Genesis on release for 21 euro on Humble, definetly worth every cent so far.

About 9 hours in, chapter 7 or 8, glad that the game plays like a Darksiders game instead of Diablo opposite what bunch of reviews claimed. Just cause its top down doesnt mean its Diablo 3 remake, faggots.

Combat is fluid when you get the hang of some combos and strafing, Strife is more of a easy mode for bosses while War is in yo face crowd disperser.
Puzzles are not too difficult, but it goes Lego game style in some levels where it introduces elements you cant affect yet cause you dont have required gear. Mainly to push on replayability for collectathon fags.

Looks awesome, plays awesome, there are some detection bugs tho. Got stuck twice into a wall and had to exit to reboot the level. But loading times are very short, longest screen in the game is non-skippable THQ logo on start.

Not much to complain, really. Its not Diablo like, there is no loot to grind, no random levels, just a story mode with 17 levels and an Arena. There is an upgrade tree in form of creature cores that you can farm that give various bonuses and 2 stores containing some moves and upgrades for health and wrath.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not much to complain, really. Its not Diablo like, there is no loot to grind, no random levels, just a story mode with 17 levels and an Arena.

That's a major positive for me. Everyone built it up to be a Diablo clone.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Darksiders 3 is less about spectacle and "Button=Awesome" and more about timing and precision and learning the mobs. That, together with the healing system and world structure is definitely Souls-like and that's why I love it way more than the prequels.

Good to hear Genesis is not a Diablo clone, looking forward to it, although I don't suppose there in a top-down game like this there isn't any level design to speak of Markman?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom