Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DarkUnderlord's BLACKSPACE The SPACE! game in development!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
If it really is a fully functional CPU, it probably won't take long before some nerd creates a rudimentary C compiler for it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Why would you waste your time coding for Notch's weirdo VM, when you can do it way easier in the real world? It's like trying to write a novel in Klingon or one of Tolkien's fictional languages.

Besides, if it runs server-side, it'll never do anything complicated, like a proper OS or even a GUI.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Its a 16bit computer with 128kb memory, running at 100kz. Damn straight it won't do anything complicated. I'm wondering how it's supposed to be controlling the ship.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would you waste your time coding for Notch's weirdo VM, when you can do it way easier in the real world? It's like trying to write a novel in Klingon or one of Tolkien's fictional languages.

Which means loads of people will attempt it. See also Klingon opera.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued

Besides, if it runs server-side, it'll never do anything complicated, like a proper OS or even a GUI.

It's more powerfull than a VM, i can already see someone creating 'Notch dos' for it.

Also look how many weirdos are there modding for minecraft, if this will be done good and popular you don't even want to know how many no-lifers it will create.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Let people pay to make the product that you sell, Internet is really the triumph of the Free Market.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
sooo Notch is COPYING after all, OR IS HE ?!

http://videogamewriters.com/review/book-review-ready-player-one-by-ernest-cline

in the year 2044 an uber-nerd named James Halliday has created The Oasis, which is a virtual world with thousands of planets themed with anything from Conan to Star Trek. This virtual world is ubiquitous in society, so much so that its in-game currency is more stable than any national printed currency. Upon Halliday’s death, he sets up a contest via a series of riddles which, when solved, will bequeath the controlling interest in The Oasis. Needless to say, this represents a substantial dollar value.
Here comes the fun part: all of the riddles and challenges associated with this contest are predicated upon the things this man loved when he was young. Specifically, the 1980s, and all of the pop-culture (gaming, movies, music, etc.) that goes along with this decade. (If you can imagine Bill Gates dying, and tying the reins to Microsoft to your ability to decipher 80s trivia, you have an idea of what is at stake.) The story picks up five years after Halliday’s death, and most people have given up hope of solving the first riddle, let alone all of the riddles.

Notch wants to create a virtual world that wil de-valuate current currency and bring a new world order with him at the helm as master of our world ?

notch-interview-portrait-e1280400228443-590x365.jpg

I FOR ONE WELCOME THE NEW OVERLORD OF NERDS

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
bros first aspie comments are emerging from the depths of the internet

I suppose nothing stop some guy from writing a self replicant von neumann probe that will invade and harvest all the universe in the game. So the next time you log, all the mater of the universe is concentrated in a single black hole, condensing space and time in a matematical singularity :P

You will say "OH NO, AGAIN", only a yoctosecond before your avatar is added to the mass of the black hole.

I guess in the dark depths of 0x10 no one truly can hear yoru scream as the galaxy collapses under itself once again, once again,, once again, once again.......

in other news a dissasembler for dcpu 16 in javascript is ready

https://gist.github.com/2300590

and

24 hours after the announcement, people start writing software for it

http://www.reddit.com/r/dcpu_16_programming/

There is already first OS

I would like to centralize some discussion on the obviously prominent topic of operating systems within 0x10c. There are 2 main options present:
Option 1: Attempt to jury-rig an existing (old operating system) to run on a DCPU system. I have been looking primarily at old Unix OS's, available here, as a possible basis for this. However, the DCPU IO, like the communications systems Notch has promised, would require a considerable amount of work to integrate into any existing OS.
Option 2: As a community, attempt to generate our own operating system, natively, in DCPU assembly code. This would require a significant amount of communication among us and work, although it could end up with a much more native and streamlined result than option 1. This, of course, would also require that we determine what the operating system should do.
Obviously all of this is completely dependent on the future IO specs that have yet to be released, but I think it would be productive to attempt to establish some sort of community discussion.

Notch on networked CPUs

Imagine DCPU distributed processing, p2p or centralized nets, remote ship control, cyber warfare, etc.

This game is scary, realy scary of what is capable of.

Nerds, aspies, computer geeks, hackers of the world unite, your overlord demands this of you.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

It's more powerfull than a VM, i can already see someone creating 'Notch dos' for it.

Also look how many weirdos are there modding for minecraft, if this will be done good and popular you don't even want to know how many no-lifers it will create.

It will also run slower than a VM, relatively speaking. I mean, imagine an OS written in Java. And this crap will be even slower than Java, since it's a complete virtual PU, with additional abstraction layers on top.

Besides, modding for Minecraft is really different than coding for an arbitrary architecture, with no real OS and no tools. How many kernel hackers do you even think Notch has in his fanbase? Unlike modding, not everyone can be an OS programmer, since it's actually difficult, often frustrating, and requires a lot of technical knowledge and experience. How many of Notch's fans could even write something like a simple Linux kernel module?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It will also run slower than a VM, relatively speaking. I mean, imagine an OS written in Java. And this crap will be even slower than Java, since it's a complete virtual PU, with additional abstraction layers on top.

Besides, modding for Minecraft is really different than coding for an arbitrary architecture, with no real OS and no tools. How many kernel hackers do you even think Notch has in his fanbase? Unlike modding, not everyone can be an OS programmer, since it's actually difficult, often frustrating, and requires a lot of technical knowledge and experience. How many of Notch's fans could even write something like a simple Linux kernel module?
Basic OS programming isn't all that complicated, most of the things that make kernel hacking hard IRL, such as interrupts and execution layers won't be supported by the NotchCPU.
It will be slow though, Notch mentioned 100khz which is super slow even for a 80's era processor.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Basic OS programming isn't all that complicated, most of the things that make kernel hacking hard IRL, such as interrupts and execution layers won't be supported by the NotchCPU.
It will be slow though, Notch mentioned 100khz which is super slow even for a 80's era processor.

Wait, how do you even accomplish anything without interrupts? I mean, general I/O handling aside, it's supposed to have keyboard input, right? How do you do that without asynchronous communication? Is it supposed to be single-process by design?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
What kind of authority on CPU design is Notch anyway?

Although, if it's like 100kHz, then multiprocessing might just be a waste of cycles. Still, there isn't much a single-process system can do, so all those people thinking it will be some kind of revolution are going to be very disappointed.

MCA
What if somebody programs a tool to set up several in-game CPUs for parallel processing and multithreading, thus increasing cycle and capabilities? :idontknowwhatthefuckiamtalkingabout: :troll:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
What if somebody programs a tool to set up several in-game CPUs for parallel processing and multithreading, thus increasing cycle and capabilities? :idontknowwhatthefuckiamtalkingabout: :troll:

Although you are trolling there are talks on notch forum from people who actualy want to connect their cpus in-game for multithread to be able to hold a 'super os' as it is possible.

Skynet will be born ?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, judging from the fact that the reddit group has only produced emulators and assemblers thus far, I somehow doubt they'll be able to develop anything of actual complexity.

Besides, nothing stops them from doing it right now. Take a good emulator, set it to work at 100kHz, spawn 100 instances of it, and you can network as much as you like, at your own desktop, with no need at all for Notch's game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
What kind of authority on CPU design is Notch anyway?

Although, if it's like 100kHz, then multiprocessing might just be a waste of cycles. Still, there isn't much a single-process system can do, so all those people thinking it will be some kind of revolution are going to be very disappointed.
You can still do multiprocessing without interrupts, you just have to be careful when programming the processes so that they return control to the OS at reasonable intervals. Multitasking in Windows versions prior to 95 worked that way, so it's doable in practice.
I'm more concerned about the 100khz clock speed, it seems like that would prevent the computer from doing much of anything other than simple calculations. Even a fucking Commodore VIC-20 has a 1Mhz processor.

Notch said there will be networking, so multi CPU clusters should theoretically be possible, such things are tons more complicated to program for though. I also suspect someone will figure out a way to get input/output from the game computer to Windows, so you can do processing on your real CPU. And then use that to make a fire control system that never misses or something similarly OP.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Well, judging from the fact that the reddit group has only produced emulators and assemblers thus far, I somehow doubt they'll be able to develop anything of actual complexity.

Besides, nothing stops them from doing it right now. Take a good emulator, set it to work at 100kHz, spawn 100 instances of it, and you can network as much as you like, at your own desktop, with no need at all for Notch's game.

Your kind will never get it. It's like programming 256byte demos. Pointless but beautiful... :monocle:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom