Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkwood (Survival horror)

Wunderbar

Arcane
It's also a pretty accurate representation of rural life in slavic countries.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Should I be playing this keyboard and mouse?

It depends.

If you're one of those algae fingered twats with no skill whatsoever that think Witcher 3 mouse&keyboard controls were bad and thus the combat hard, play the game by thrusting a sledgehammer through you monitor first!
Otherwise, keyboard and mouse is a go.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
39407862_2123361894340645_2169959160320360448_o.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARKWOOD! Exactly one year ago we released our first game! This feeling melts our acid hearts! You can grab DARKWOOD 40% OFF on Steam now ! Also, we have a nice announcements coming really soon so stay with us !
1f609.png
;)

Vagiel

Augur
Another vote for this one. I never got in the survival genre thing that's so popular but this game really gripped me with it's amazing atmosphere and the great way that the mechanics force you to care.

Does make me sad that the community hasn't figured out how to mod this game yet. By tweaking loot frequencies and enemy stats it could be a perfect game. As it stands now it is far too forgiving once you learn how to play the game in the most efficient manner - which might take 1-2 playthroughs to figure out - but prior to that it is one hell of a ride. Strongly recommended.

If anyone is just picking it up now, I strongly recommend playing on Hard difficulty - Normal does not punish death meaningfully and the tension evaporates once you realize this. It is my impression that the game was designed with Hard difficulty in mind, whereas Nightmare is a leftover from the game's roguelike roots and Normal is game journalist mode.

Plisken

Learned
Despite its hardcore trimmings, it is a surprisingly not so difficult game once you learn how to play. I also think they listened too much to the casual whiners during development, the last area of the game went from being sparse on wood and nails to being laden with it. When i first played it during one of the alphas nighttime on swamp was genuinely difficult because you'd have to constantly be running and gunning due to poor barricade coverage. Now in the final version, i spend many nights barricaded in one room sitting behind a closet with my shotgun and usually never have to deal with more than one or two enemies breaking through max.

Ironically the old woods or whatever might be the hardest area in the game now because very few wood piles and red chompers every night that seem to beeline for barricades to smash them down.

Despite its hardcore trimmings, it is a surprisingly not so difficult game once you learn how to play. I also think they listened too much to the casual whiners during development, the last area of the game went from being sparse on wood and nails to being laden with it. When i first played it during one of the alphas nighttime on swamp was genuinely difficult because you'd have to constantly be running and gunning due to poor barricade coverage. Now in the final version, i spend many nights barricaded in one room sitting behind a closet with my shotgun and usually never have to deal with more than one or two enemies breaking through max.

Ironically the old woods or whatever might be the hardest area in the game now because very few wood piles and red chompers every night that seem to beeline for barricades to smash them down.

Pretty much true. As I wrote earlier, ideally rep gain would be halved and loot made more scarce. Would be nice if Chapter 1 enemies dealt more damage and had more aggressive movesets as well.

That being said, I figure that people going into the game fresh, without dozens of hours of early access experience, won't figure out how to play optimally until their second playthrough.

I suppose the relatively forgiving dynamic an experienced player is likely to settle into is also well suited for Nightmare difficulty.

Plisken

Learned

Pretty much true. As I wrote earlier, ideally rep gain would be halved and loot made more scarce. Would be nice if Chapter 1 enemies dealt more damage and had more aggressive movesets as well.

That being said, I figure that people going into the game fresh, without dozens of hours of early access experience, won't figure out how to play optimally until their second playthrough.

I suppose the relatively forgiving dynamic an experienced player is likely to settle into is also well suited for Nightmare difficulty.

yep.

I think it obvious now, having played both several of the early alphas and now the finished product a couple of times through, that they were originally making a much simpler roguelike game that eventually gave birth to the interesting horror adventure we have now. I'm actually glad permadeath is no longer the default difficulty because it wouldve meant most people never explored the story content all the way through, which would be a crying shame given the level of fresh creativity that is on display here.

Almost a year ago (Aug30) I actually started this thread on the steam forums dedicated to discussion the game's plot and ending (massive spoilers, of course): https://steamcommunity.com/app/274520/discussions/0/1474221865178060866/?tscn=1535119112

I'd get pings months after the bulk of the discussion died down, which usually rejuvenated the thread for a day or two. Just now someone necro'd the thread 8 months after the last post.

I must say that starting that thread and participating in the discussion about the game's story was very helpful in helping me flesh out my own theories and understand the game better.

Just goes to show that this is the kind of game that stays with you for a long time after you are done with it.

ColCol

Arcane
Played and finished. One of the best survival horror games in the past few years. Also as a meaningless side note, the ending area made me wish for a sequel in a grim city.

Plisken

Learned
Played and finished. One of the best survival horror games in the past few years. Also as a meaningless side note, the ending area made me wish for a sequel in a grim city.

that would be a cool idea. An urban sprawl could take on a different kind of horror.

Revenant

You can buy a total of 3 small caliber magazines per day in the early game - one from the mute merchant, the other 2 from the Wolfman in each of the first two zones. Combining them with found ones should enable you to shoot every enemy in the game and not run out of bullets... probably.

Valtiel

Scholar
had this in backlog for too long and finally finished in about 20hours. Incredible experience, survival horror at its best, cool mechanics and very interesting world and story.

Silva

Arcane
Got the newly released PS4. Awesome game so far. Genuinely macabre and terrifying, with well used surreal motifs.

Now, how da fuck am I supposed to fight Chompers? I got to the 3rd hideout (Old forest) but I'm finding it impossible to survive the night. Im even planning to go back to 2nd hideout and make incursions into old forest from there.

Also, anyone else afraid to play this alone at night?

Cromwell

Arcane
Got the newly released PS4. Awesome game so far. Genuinely macabre and terrifying, with well used surreal motifs.

Now, how da fuck am I supposed to fight Chompers? I got to the 3rd hideout (Old forest) but I'm finding it impossible to survive the night. Im even planning to go back to 2nd hideout and make incursions into old forest from there.

Also, anyone else afraid to play this alone at night?

Thanks to you I just realized it is also out for the switch, i think I double dip and buy it again to play on the go.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah I double dipped too. Got it for PC and now for PS4.

Still waiting on the tips for fighting Chompers. Preferentially with a shovel. Hehe

It took indie potatoes to make a game with oneiric story that actually works. I've had no idea this shit is possible.
You mean besides Hotline Miami?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, how da fuck am I supposed to fight Chompers?

Get a gun or forget about it. These chompers have some seriously bullshit AI and will manage to dodge most of your attacks without fail. Even if there is a wardrobe between you and them, they'll still miraculously notice and take a step back.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, that's the only way I'm managing it. I just got an axe though, so I will try to train with it. I've read with the second upgrade it kills a chomper in one hit.

best way is to wait in the second hideout. Third isn't worth the risk.
I've found third is doable if you grow some balls and take the war to them. Spread some glass in the ground (it's the cheapest trap), use shovel for small enemies (like the banshee babies) and shotgun to chompers, and be ready to run around the house a bit to get some space between you and them (or simply run for your life if dawn is near). It's a different reflex from the previous hideouts where you just needed to hide quitely in a corner. Granted, some nights the RNG will throw more than you can chomp (hehe) and I WILL die anyway, but at least I can manage some nights now. And that fat 200 rep from the merchant is worth it.

I found you can open a shortcut to the first area too and bring your base back to 1st hideout if you wish. The night is easy peasy at this point and it's nearer to Old Woods than 2nd hideout, so you don't waste much time going/coming. But the rep for surviving the night is just 100 and the region loot is probably depleted by now, so there's that.

This game is amazing, btw. Just saying. It evokes some Dreamweb flashes while being much better than Dreamweb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom