Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkwood (Survival horror)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Raapys, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Plisken Learned

Plisken
    since this got necro'd let me take this chance to say again that this is easily one of the most underrated titles of the past few years. It is a damn disgrace this thing didn't get more publicity, it is a gem.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    It's also a pretty accurate representation of rural life in slavic countries.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It depends.

If you're one of those algae fingered twats with no skill whatsoever that think Witcher 3 mouse&keyboard controls were bad and thus the combat hard, play the game by thrusting a sledgehammer through you monitor first!
    Otherwise, keyboard and mouse is a go.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARKWOOD! Exactly one year ago we released our first game! This feeling melts our acid hearts! You can grab DARKWOOD 40% OFF on Steam now ! Also, we have a nice announcements coming really soon so stay with us ! [​IMG];)

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vagiel Augur

Vagiel
    Another vote for this one. I never got in the survival genre thing that's so popular but this game really gripped me with it's amazing atmosphere and the great way that the mechanics force you to care.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    Does make me sad that the community hasn't figured out how to mod this game yet. By tweaking loot frequencies and enemy stats it could be a perfect game. As it stands now it is far too forgiving once you learn how to play the game in the most efficient manner - which might take 1-2 playthroughs to figure out - but prior to that it is one hell of a ride. Strongly recommended.

If anyone is just picking it up now, I strongly recommend playing on Hard difficulty - Normal does not punish death meaningfully and the tension evaporates once you realize this. It is my impression that the game was designed with Hard difficulty in mind, whereas Nightmare is a leftover from the game's roguelike roots and Normal is game journalist mode.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Plisken Learned

Plisken
    Despite its hardcore trimmings, it is a surprisingly not so difficult game once you learn how to play. I also think they listened too much to the casual whiners during development, the last area of the game went from being sparse on wood and nails to being laden with it. When i first played it during one of the alphas nighttime on swamp was genuinely difficult because you'd have to constantly be running and gunning due to poor barricade coverage. Now in the final version, i spend many nights barricaded in one room sitting behind a closet with my shotgun and usually never have to deal with more than one or two enemies breaking through max.

Ironically the old woods or whatever might be the hardest area in the game now because very few wood piles and red chompers every night that seem to beeline for barricades to smash them down.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    Pretty much true. As I wrote earlier, ideally rep gain would be halved and loot made more scarce. Would be nice if Chapter 1 enemies dealt more damage and had more aggressive movesets as well.

That being said, I figure that people going into the game fresh, without dozens of hours of early access experience, won't figure out how to play optimally until their second playthrough.

I suppose the relatively forgiving dynamic an experienced player is likely to settle into is also well suited for Nightmare difficulty.

^ Top  
  9. Plisken Learned

Plisken
    yep.

I think it obvious now, having played both several of the early alphas and now the finished product a couple of times through, that they were originally making a much simpler roguelike game that eventually gave birth to the interesting horror adventure we have now. I'm actually glad permadeath is no longer the default difficulty because it wouldve meant most people never explored the story content all the way through, which would be a crying shame given the level of fresh creativity that is on display here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Lithium Flower Prophet

Lithium Flower
    Almost a year ago (Aug30) I actually started this thread on the steam forums dedicated to discussion the game's plot and ending (massive spoilers, of course): https://steamcommunity.com/app/274520/discussions/0/1474221865178060866/?tscn=1535119112

I'd get pings months after the bulk of the discussion died down, which usually rejuvenated the thread for a day or two. Just now someone necro'd the thread 8 months after the last post.

I must say that starting that thread and participating in the discussion about the game's story was very helpful in helping me flesh out my own theories and understand the game better.

Just goes to show that this is the kind of game that stays with you for a long time after you are done with it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Played and finished. One of the best survival horror games in the past few years. Also as a meaningless side note, the ending area made me wish for a sequel in a grim city.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Plisken Learned

Plisken
    that would be a cool idea. An urban sprawl could take on a different kind of horror.

^ Top  
  13. Grotesque ±¼ Patron

Grotesque
    Just finished it.
    This game is exquisite.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. someone else Arcane Patron

someone else
    Is there way to get lots of bullets so I can shoot monsters?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Revenant Arcane

Revenant
    You can buy a total of 3 small caliber magazines per day in the early game - one from the mute merchant, the other 2 from the Wolfman in each of the first two zones. Combining them with found ones should enable you to shoot every enemy in the game and not run out of bullets... probably.

^ Top  
  16. warpig Incel Resistance Leader Manlet

warpig
    Master the art of the shovel XD

^ Top  
  17. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    there is a lot of ammo and guns in the second chapter.

^ Top  
  18. Valtiel Learned

Valtiel
    had this in backlog for too long and finally finished in about 20hours. Incredible experience, survival horror at its best, cool mechanics and very interesting world and story.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lagole Gon Arcane

Lagole Gon
    It took indie potatoes to make a game with oneiric story that actually works. I've had no idea this shit is possible.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Got the newly released PS4. Awesome game so far. Genuinely macabre and terrifying, with well used surreal motifs.

Now, how da fuck am I supposed to fight Chompers? I got to the 3rd hideout (Old forest) but I'm finding it impossible to survive the night. Im even planning to go back to 2nd hideout and make incursions into old forest from there.

Also, anyone else afraid to play this alone at night?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Thanks to you I just realized it is also out for the switch, i think I double dip and buy it again to play on the go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yeah I double dipped too. Got it for PC and now for PS4.

Still waiting on the tips for fighting Chompers. Preferentially with a shovel. Hehe

You mean besides Hotline Miami?

^ Top  
  23. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    best way is to wait in the second hideout. Third isn't worth the risk.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Black Arcane

Black

Shilling for my blood brothers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fronzel Neekburm Erudite Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Get a gun or forget about it. These chompers have some seriously bullshit AI and will manage to dodge most of your attacks without fail. Even if there is a wardrobe between you and them, they'll still miraculously notice and take a step back.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)