Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkwood (Survival horror)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Raapys, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yeah, that's the only way I'm managing it. I just got an axe though, so I will try to train with it. I've read with the second upgrade it kills a chomper in one hit.

I've found third is doable if you grow some balls and take the war to them. Spread some glass in the ground (it's the cheapest trap), use shovel for small enemies (like the banshee babies) and shotgun to chompers, and be ready to run around the house a bit to get some space between you and them (or simply run for your life if dawn is near). It's a different reflex from the previous hideouts where you just needed to hide quitely in a corner. Granted, some nights the RNG will throw more than you can chomp (hehe) and I WILL die anyway, but at least I can manage some nights now. And that fat 200 rep from the merchant is worth it.

I found you can open a shortcut to the first area too and bring your base back to 1st hideout if you wish. The night is easy peasy at this point and it's nearer to Old Woods than 2nd hideout, so you don't waste much time going/coming. But the rep for surviving the night is just 100 and the region loot is probably depleted by now, so there's that.

This game is amazing, btw. Just saying. It evokes some Dreamweb flashes while being much better than Dreamweb.

^ Top  
  2. Silva Arcane

Silva
    4th hideout is more manageable than 3rd one. Just saying.

^ Top  
  3. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Finished it. Amazing game.

The Trader character is the biggest mystery though:

Show Spoiler
    Is he another member of the outsiders unit, or is he your doppelganger?

I'm partial to the later right now. The in-game description says you find his face hauntingly familiar or something, and he ends up having the same key, journal and hazmat-suit as you had, only shroom-mimicked. It's too reminiscent of the Body Snatchers movie to pass up. Also, there are other stances where corpses are tied to the ground/trees with tendrils connected to them - are those the originals getting "copied", or are they the doppelgangers being created?

Oh and isn't part of the actual forest basically that too, tree-like mimics made of that white goo substance? I think there's more to the game's plot than meets the eye. Just like in Souls game btw.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)