Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkwood (Survival horror)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Raapys, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yeah, that's the only way I'm managing it. I just got an axe though, so I will try to train with it. I've read with the second upgrade it kills a chomper in one hit.

I've found third is doable if you grow some balls and take the war to them. Spread some glass in the ground (it's the cheapest trap), use shovel for small enemies (like the banshee babies) and shotgun to chompers, and be ready to run around the house a bit to get some space between you and them (or simply run for your life if dawn is near). It's a different reflex from the previous hideouts where you just needed to hide quitely in a corner. Granted, some nights the RNG will throw more than you can chomp (hehe) and I WILL die anyway, but at least I can manage some nights now. And that fat 200 rep from the merchant is worth it.

I found you can open a shortcut to the first area too and bring your base back to 1st hideout if you wish. The night is easy peasy at this point and it's nearer to Old Woods than 2nd hideout, so you don't waste much time going/coming. But the rep for surviving the night is just 100 and the region loot is probably depleted by now, so there's that.

This game is amazing, btw. Just saying. It evokes some Dreamweb flashes while being much better than Dreamweb.

^ Top  
  2. Silva Arcane

Silva
    4th hideout is more manageable than 3rd one. Just saying.

^ Top  
  3. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Finished it. Amazing game.

The Trader character is the biggest mystery though:

Show Spoiler
    Is he another member of the outsiders unit, or is he your doppelganger?

I'm partial to the later right now. The in-game description says you find his face hauntingly familiar or something, and he ends up having the same key, journal and hazmat-suit as you had, only shroom-mimicked. It's too reminiscent of the Body Snatchers movie to pass up. Also, there are other stances where corpses are tied to the ground/trees with tendrils connected to them - are those the originals getting "copied", or are they the doppelgangers being created?

Oh and isn't part of the actual forest basically that too, tree-like mimics made of that white goo substance? I think there's more to the game's plot than meets the eye. Just like in Souls game btw.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
  5. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    Stopped watching 4 minutes in. Guy tries really hard to be funny and it's just not necessary. Mandalore's review is still the best.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    I'm going to go ahead and give this a bump because some fortuitous happenings done did happen. While the game does not have mod support and it was long thought that there would be no major gameplay-altering mods for Darkwood, some guy was able to make a balance overhaul that should make the game much more challenging: https://www.nexusmods.com/darkwood/mods/2?tab=files&file_id=21

Going over the changelog it looks like he's got the right idea; looks like he even made the spawns in Dry Meadow more dangerous, which is a welcome change considering DM night time is a snooze fest (I guess it makes sense to have a very gentle difficulty curve in a game with limited lives, but I think the difficulty of DM and arguably silent forest was nerfed into the ground since the beta versions and I found that unfortunate.) Some changes look kind of experimental but he appears to be updating the mod every once a month or so and adjusting/reverting things as he actively plays the game, which is so quaint it brings a tear to my eye; I want to shake the guy's hand but I will settle for my cock.

My only major gripe with the game has always been that it becomes too easy if you know what you are doing, and thus the horror loses its teeth on subsequent playthroughs, so if this mod does what it sets out to achieve then that would be excellent. I'm planning to give it a shot; if I have substantive impressions I will post them here.

If you guys want to give this thing a shot, then as always I recommend playing on Hard.

Edit: Motherfucker renamed Hard (limited lives) to Normal, which is exactly how I think it should be. BASED AND REDPILLED

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cretin Learned

cretin
    horror always loses its effect once you gain knowledge. Niggas be hugging lions and sleeping next to them. Theres never going to be a mod for any horror game that restores the sense of horror that is lost from exposure, so thats just a folly from the outset. Most of the scary shit in darkwood is the unknown, but once you know what does what and what makes what noise, its not going to be scary anymore.

If the mod makes the game fun and challenging for veteran players, thats completely worthwhile by itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Of course, but horror works in multiple ways. One of those is the tension of attrition (see: Pathologic). In pre-release versions Darkwood was almost uncomfortable to play because every night set you back in terms of resources and time; resources spent driving off the creatures and time that, as it advanced, led to increasingly more numerous and powerful monsters to come to your hideout at night. This precipitated the feeling of despair and reinforced the main character's sole motivation of getting out of the woods before he becomes a part of them.

The release version of the game took a step back by compressing the maps, making chests more lucrative, and making enemies more predictable and their moveset and easier to kill, though to its credit it also introduced the excellent Hard (Normal in the mod) difficulty setting wherein every death removes one of your few lives and once you run out, your save is gone.

However, once you've mastered the combat and comb every area for resources, the vanilla game usually has you prevailing over the horrors night after night while growing a massive stockpile of resources. This is where the fear of attrition effectively dies, except for the attrition of your health if you do happen to lose one of your limited lives on that difficulty mode (I died four or five times in my first playthrough, yet by the end of the game had exactly as many extra lives as I started with due to finding embryos along the way.)

This mod, so far, is addressing this very nicely. My stockpile is lean and there are aggressive stick and rock savages patrolling as early as Dry Meadow. Mutated dogs, stick savages, and a banshee (via an event) assaulted my first hideout as early as Day 4, forcing me to use my only molotov cocktail (that I had looted), a bear trap, and quite a lot of planks and nails to see them off. I've found a single magazine after exploring around three quarters of dry meadow, and it was immediately traded away to Wolfman in exchange for a toolbox and a map.

If this difficulty keeps up and there are no bugs, I can safely say that this is the definitive version of the game for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    ^ Top  
  9. Lithium Flower Arcane

Lithium Flower
    Motherfucker added an elk to Dry Meadow night time spawns. Thing barreled through the hole, took half my life, then rampaged around and broke no less than two doors and two barricades while I hid in the back room like a bitch.

Granted, I probably should have killed it to prevent the damage, because this event pretty much extinguished my supplies and wood and nails.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top