Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Das Geisterschiff - turn-based cyberpunk dungeon crawler

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Update: added OST and Declassified as DLC. Awaiting till demo gets approved too.

As for those who bought the game on Itch, I'm planning to send you the keys as soon as possible. I've already filed a request to get dem keys for you, so if Valve approves it, you'll be able to play on Day One without any delays.

I'll ping the Itch customers by e-mail once it's all set and done.

EDIT: Approved, got dem keys. Will put 'em on Itch right before the release date.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
As for those who bought the game on Itch, I'm planning to send you the keys as soon as possible. I've already filed a request to get dem keys for you, so if Valve approves it, you'll be able to play on Day One without any delays.

Interesting. I hope the game is cheaper in itch.o than steam so that I can save some jewgold. By the way, does the game have multiple endings? I doubt so, but just to check.
Also, how long is the average playthrough?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Interesting. I hope the game is cheaper in itch.o than steam so that I can save some jewgold. By the way, does the game have multiple endings? I doubt so, but just to check.
Also, how long is the average playthrough?
Apparently the game is a bit more expensive on Itch as it offers no regional pricing, so you'll save some jewgold by buying it on Steam. Besides, it'll be 15% off on launch.

There's only one ending. I planned to include several endings at first, but decided to stick to only one once the scope of the project was decided upon.

The average playthrough is between 6 and 10 hours depending on your grip on the game mechanics and your playstyle.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Preparing another update, notes can be checked here or below.
Another update is coming out to address the recently reported issues. It'll go live on November 14 or earlier.

Changelog:
  • Fixed incorrect reset of the game state in the first chapter, which could happen if 'Restart Chapter' option was selected. Thanks to Fou-Lu for reporting this issue;
  • Fixed clipping of certain objects caused by the previous update @ Hideout;
  • Fixed repeating warning message near the dead end @ Upper Level;
  • Reduced the amount of extra ammunition in the Workshop event @ Colony;
  • Minor performance optimizations.
This version is also going to be available on Steam on day one.
Been thinking of taking the DG1 codebase, adding some stuff from the sequel and putting together a small standalone expansion in case there will be folks craving for more.

I have a few ideas for it, but I'll have to wait until I see the initial sales figures on Steam to determine whether it's worth the trouble or not.

Mustawd

zwanzig_zwoelf , on the minimap is there a fog of war type function? Personally, I like minimaps that reveal areas as I clear them.

Part of it is just autisticly liking to see the black/dark portions clear away. But also helps in orienting myself. Have I cleared this area 100%? Wait, did I go in circle?

One of the things that seems like it could annoy me is that sense of not know where the fuck I am or have been. Especially with such a limited color palette.

Would you describe your levels as particularly maze-like? I dislike mazes and what not, but having a minimap that tracks progress of areas cleared usually alleviates that dislike a bit.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
zwanzig_zwoelf , on the minimap is there a fog of war type function? Personally, I like minimaps that reveal areas as I clear them.
Nope, as its primary function is to track enemy movement, hint that there are other places behind walls and troll players into avoiding dead ends w/ potential phat loot.

Grauken also expressed interest in fog of war on the minimap, and while I wouldn't mind this feature, there are certain pros and cons that can make the game better in one aspect (autism, spotting places you've visited before), but completely spoil another one (spinners and teleporters stop making sense in these small dungeons if you know where you've been), so this requires more than just adding a feature and calling it a day.

I'm leaning towards fixing this in the sequel by adding the ability to place visual markings on tiles (think System Shock 2 markers) as means to mark places you've already visited/noted/would like to revisit later.

Would you describe your levels as particularly maze-like? I dislike mazes and what not, but having a minimap that tracks progress of areas cleared usually alleviates that dislike a bit.
They're maze-like in some areas and pretty straightforward in others. Since they're pretty small in size, you should be fine as long as you pay attention to what you do and where you go.

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter
2 hours in I'm really impressed so far. The warehouse mission was a good introduction to the game and I had enjoyed it a fair bit, but I wasn't expecting anything along the lines of the second mission or how it's structured.
Initial thoughts / second mission spoilers:

- I was surprised by how much effort went into not only creating the different sub-areas, but making them fit logically together and having them all give context and verisimilitude to the world, especially with all the optional notes/news stories/worldbuilding that's done via text
- Soundtrack and visuals are outstanding through and through
- Combat is brisk and satisfying and works well with the layouts and traps to build tension as your resources start to wane and you get more and more disoriented, backtracking from the tunnels with 18 HP hoping to get to a repair station successfully was perfect and felt like out and out survival horror
- Boss encounters were enjoyable and both encounters benefitted strongly from their set up (ambush for the first, the room full of jammers for the second)
- Not including a full map (as far as I know?) was a good decision that adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game
- Rewarding the player for exploring with upgrades and notes was handled well and encouraged me to check out every corner of a room for an accuracy upgrade or some new information on the gangs, the kidnapping, the problems with the roof or whatever else might be lying around
- Sidequests + non-hostile NPC dialogue / how that character is called back to at the end of the mission was great
- Laughed during the prison fight when he called me a faggot and then chastised me for using the bazooka in a corridor

Fantastic game from what I've seen so far and easily worth the asking price. Hopefully I'll get the time to put another couple hours in tonight :salute:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Heads up: one last severe savegame-related bug was reported, I'm preparing a fix right now. You won't need to restart the game from the beginning, but you'll need to restart current chapter for the fix to take effect.

Will release the fix ASAP.

PEACH

Arbiter
Went back to do the third mission and apparently I finished the game in 3.6 hours, which seems a long way off from 6-10 so maybe I missed something or fucked up somehow?
activated self-destruct, used escape pod, and did the teleporter puzzle, fought a guy, went outside and "woke up"

If that isn't just a bad ending I'm a little disappointed with it feeling so brief / abrupt, but I loved pretty much everything about what I played so it's hard to complain, and in any event I'll definitely be going back to play it again to finish anything I might've missed the first time around. Only other complaint: I wish the game got a little harder / more demanding of your resource management because during the last mission I didn't feel nearly as much pressure as the ones that preceded it, making it a little too easy by the time the credits came up.

Hope either you can iterate on this further in the future or that I made some sort of mistake along the way and missed out on some content. Would be a shame if there wasn't more of this (even if eventually) in some form or another.

Edit: Just saw your initial post in the thread about aiming for 4 hours so despite the discrepancy between that and the steam faq I got exactly what was promised and it was a hell of a 4 hour experience

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Went back to do the third mission and apparently I finished the game in 3.6 hours, which seems a long way off from 6-10 so maybe I missed something or fucked up somehow?
activated self-destruct, used escape pod, and did the teleporter puzzle, fought a guy, went outside and "woke up"

If that isn't just a bad ending I'm a little disappointed with it feeling so brief / abrupt, but I loved pretty much everything about what I played so it's hard to complain, and in any event I'll definitely be going back to play it again to finish anything I might've missed the first time around. Only other complaint: I wish the game got a little harder / more demanding of your resource management because during the last mission I didn't feel nearly as much pressure as the ones that preceded it, making it a little too easy by the time the credits came up.

Hope either you can iterate on this further in the future or that I made some sort of mistake along the way and missed out on some content. Would be a shame if there wasn't more of this (even if eventually) in some form or another.

Edit: Just saw your initial post in the thread about aiming for 4 hours so despite the discrepancy between that and the steam faq I got exactly what was promised and it was a hell of a 4 hour experience
The minimal expected playtime was calculated as 'me running through the game as fast as possible with extra 2 hours on top', w/ the maximum calculated from reports provided by players (mostly cashul players tho). My best bet is that you've got a good grip on the mechanics and blasted through the game.

Anyway, thanks for the complaints and congratulations on beating the game. :salute:

As for missing out on content, there are two minor bits you can try:
-- Try not jumping down the hole after killing Jurgen (and receiving the transmission from your commander), instead walk all the way back to the streets and see what happens.
-- Try reaching the docking bay after recovering the documents on the ship.

Jinn

Arcane
A reminder to all you codex brothers out there who bought this and played it on the itch.io version:

Grab your steam keys and if you enjoyed it, post reviews on the Das Geisterschiff steam page. Once the autumn sale is over on steam, it's going to help a lot with the game's exposure.

lightbane

Arcane
Heads up: one last severe savegame-related bug was reported, I'm preparing a fix right now. You won't need to restart the game from the beginning, but you'll need to restart current chapter for the fix to take effect.

Is that related to the limited number of saves available (100)? I thought that was a limitation for the demo, but the main game still has it. Oh well, they'll probably be enough.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Is that related to the limited number of saves available (100)? I thought that was a limitation for the demo, but the main game still has it. Oh well, they'll probably be enough.
Limited saves have always been intended as means to combat savescumming. There's more than enough to beat the game (I usually have ~85 save points when I finish it mostly because I play in short bursts), but the presence of this system already tells the player to accept their mistakes and failures and instead focus on getting out of whatever mess they got themselves into.

The bug is related to one of the system flags not resetting correctly, which would load the world save data as intended, but load the player data as if he just travelled through the gate, which could break the game and corrupt the save file. I'm preparing to release the patch today to fix this.

A reminder to all you codex brothers out there who bought this and played it on the itch.io version:

Grab your steam keys and if you enjoyed it, post reviews on the Das Geisterschiff steam page. Once the autumn sale is over on steam, it's going to help a lot with the game's exposure.
Thanks mate! :love:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Ok, update released on Steam, will upload Itch builds right now. ETA for the demo update is roughly tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Itch builds uploaded, preparing the updated demo builds now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom