Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawn of Man

Aemar

Arcane

Take control of a settlement of the first modern humans, guide them through the ages in their struggle for survival.

Dawn of Man is a survival/city-builder from the creators of Planetbase.

The game starts in the Stone Age, and takes you up to the Iron Age, spanning more than 10,000 years of human prehistory.

You will have to get your people to survive, expand and evolve, just like our ancestors, facing the challenges that the environment will throw at you.

Hunt
Animals were a vital source of food and resources for ancient humans. Use their meat to feed your people and their skin and bones to make clothing and craft the tools you will need to stay alive. Confront Mammoths, Woolly Rhinos, Ancient Bison, Megaloceros, Cave Lions and other species that roamed the earth at the time.

Gather

Collect a variety resources from the environment: fruit, berries, water, wood, flint, stone, ores. Use them to prepare food, to make tools and to build structures in your settlement.

Plan for harsh times

Fish is more abundant in spring, berries and fruit can be collected in summer and animals are easier to come by when it's warm. When winter comes, make sure to have enough non-perishable food and warm clothing in order to survive.

Expand and fortify your settlement

Build more homes and facilities for your people, in order to expand your population. Construct fortifications and craft weapons, so you are ready for when the inevitable conflict comes.

Research Technologies

Each new discovery will make it easier for your settlement to be able to support larger populations, but will also bring new challenges: increased food demand, morale issues and more frequent raider attacks.

Build Megalithic Structures

Our ancestors were capable of incredible engineering feats: mine massive rocks from the environment, transport them using sledges and construct colossal stone structures.

Control Nature

Unlock farming technologies to grow your own vegetables, so you can feed large amounts of people. Domesticate animals to produce food, resources and provide increased muscle power.

Hopefully a less boring version of Banished and definitely a serious contender for the upcoming Ancient Cities. The trailer is meh, but I've watched some gameplay videos of the beta version and it looks very interesting. Less than 10 days until the release. No idea about the price.

Aemar

Arcane
Both this game's and Ancient Cities' dev teams are from Spain, and here we have two very similar products being developed at the same time within the same geographical area. Some say AC is better than DoM, yet I believe DoM has the upper hand right now, as it's only some week away from getting released while AC hasn't even entered open beta I think. AC being better than DoM is pretty much guesswork, since there isn't much information regarding that game; on the other hand, the feedback on the DoM beta has been positive so far.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
Sounds interesting that season change ingame.
I hope there is an individual equip feature like Jurassic War.

Aemar

Arcane
Positive reviews so far, the game doesn't seem to be broken at release. Going to pick it up this week-end.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
For a one man show this looks decent, though I personally still dream of a stone age survival game that is not complete nonsense.

Aemar

Arcane
For a one man show this looks decent, though I personally still dream of a stone age survival game that is not complete nonsense.
This is not a one man effort, several people worked on this game. You might want to wait for Ancient Cities then, hopefully it will be better than DoM, which by the way is not a bad game per se. The game was in beta testing for some time before the release, and I'm afraid right now it's still somewhat there, but I can definitely see great potential. The devs announced they don't intend to release DLCs, just free updates.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Ok has anyone played this? How the FUCK do you make your cavemen gather mud? I told them to upgrade all their buildings to thatched roofs thinking they'd just upgrade. No, they tore down their entire settlement. They have been homeless for generations now because they refuse to walk over to the riverbank that is right next to them and gather mud to rebuild their houses. I've made 6 work areas with the max number of dudes in each one. I've cancelled every other work area. I've manually clicked on the riverbanks and said "Gather mud" dozens of times. They won't fucking do it. They'd rather walk around aimlessly and freeze to death than gather mud.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, I played it went it first came out in early access. Biggest piece of shit city game I ever had the misfortune of playing.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It seems like it would be baby's first city builder but that could be a good thing if you have limited experience with the genre and want to dip your toes, like me. Besides, I love any movie or TV thing with a caveman or neanderthal in it that actually looks like a proto-human, even if it's just Cha-Ka from Land of the Lost, or the late Phil Hartman as an unfrozen one saying, "I'm just a caveman." Surely it must be better since EA launch with all the bug fixes and DLC, no?

0wca

Learned
It is more enjoyable than Banished, but once you build/research everything, there's very little incentive to keep playing (and the game is pretty short).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom