Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Dawn of War tournament - SEASON 2 NOW OVER

Nahel

Arcane
I won't be there from 24 to 31. So I would be grateful for a deadline extension or the possibility to play my 2 matchs this week.

Nahel

Arcane
You have my permission to play your two matches this week, son.

Thanks rodent friend. So who was supposed to be my next opponent for this extra match according to the way you did the matchup?

Edit: NVM I am blind

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Game 1 Necron v SM
This is a nice display of SM aggression - but badly directed.

QNXsfwY.jpg

If you go for 4 scouts - either you commit to harassment with multi-scouts or capture the map. Not try to do both and send 1 squad over to try and kill a scarab squad. That will not work. Once the early stages offensive did not work out, the SM player did not bother to pull back and try a different plan.

iABq2np.png

The attrition battle will never favor SM. In fact, a lot of resources were not captured with the idling scouts. Necrons sensing no threat simply absorbed the blows and hits Tier 2 to finish the game. SM is too far behind to catch up.

Game 2 Tau vs DE
I'm pretty shocked DE would lose. But then again they're always the master of short engagements. The longer they spend time in fights, the worse it gets. And it showed when they stubbornly stuck to fighting under the Tau LP2.

mCfOkt8.jpg

They should really switch targets, especially when Hellions can simply jump away when the odds are against them. A case of bad risk assessment perhaps. DE did not capture their side of the map either and Tau pulled ahead once they hit T2.

JnxtLst.jpg

Game 3 Tau vs Necron
This is a weird game. Necrons were pushing Tau hard in T1.5 but backed off once Tau deploys T2 Vehicle - I did say Skyray was a bad choice because what Tau needed is more mobility vs Necrons. Devilfish transports will also force Scarabs to play detectors. Anyway, the Tau army composition of 3 Firewarrior Squad and 1 Pathfinder isn't particularly impossible to counter for Necrons. They could deploy flayed ones and the Necron lord with solar pulse artifact - then the entire range advantage would be completely nullified. Especially in Quest Triumph's narrow passage.

QNXsfwY.jpg

But either the Necron player is not aware he can load the Flayed ones back into his monolith for another deep strike or he's simply despairing in the face of a Tau murderball - he resigned with 650 energy in reserves. That's a bit too early, IMO.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After losing these many games against fine 'dexers and watching illustrious casts (which learned taught me to rely on my inferno turrets always... and beware Oblivion NPCs) I came to realize two basic mistakes in my play: I’m not focused enough and I don’t macro enough. I’m also not aggressive enough, inheriting some bad habits from solo playing for years, but that’s minor IMHO. I can do decent micro in one engagement (well... sometimes), but I don’t macro well enough, I just forget to do stuff when I shouldn’t, and that’s ‘cause of the first flaw, which is lack of concentration. This probably stems from me not really knowing the game well, but it can be fixed.

I’ll better myself through fasting and flagellation.

RK47

Patron
After losing these many games against fine 'dexers and watching illustrious casts (which learned taught me to rely on my inferno turrets always... and beware Oblivion NPCs) I came to realize two basic mistakes in my play: I’m not focused enough and I don’t macro enough. I’m also not aggressive enough, inheriting some bad habits from solo playing for years, but that’s minor IMHO. I can do decent micro in one engagement (well... sometimes), but I don’t macro well enough, I just forget to do stuff when I shouldn’t, and that’s ‘cause of the first flaw, which is lack of concentration. This probably stems from me not really knowing the game well, but it can be fixed.

I’ll better myself through fasting and flagellation.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Always wondered how to run a Stealth suit game (they are really shit and easily countered if someone knows what he's doing). I mean, in this case it was flexing, but prolly one of the most interesting matches.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
(they are really shit and easily countered)

They can become competitive with the T1 damage upgrade against races with terrible detection.

This game would have gone better had I not forgotten my plan to take the TC to Snorkack's base at the start to snipe his worker, maybe I could have stopped the early homoculus that way (didn't watch the replay so I dunno what his build order was exactly). But so it goes, I had a bunch of very embarrassing awareness/microfails during it in general, so... lolololo

Dayyālu

Arcane
They can become competitive with the T1 damage upgrade against races with terrible detection.

Yes, but you are essentially betting on your opponent to be incompetent. I've tried to run some SS build to apply against Hello Friend during sparring, and in MP testing against randos the results were messy. It requires far too much micro, it's expensive and not particularly effective considering the variety of Tau openings.

Not saying that the SS are bad, I prolly find them amongst the best capping units for non-combat reasons.

The worst failures in the match were probably the lack of aggressive Tau commander snares and leaving him to die once.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, but you are essentially betting on your opponent to be incompetent.
Can you blame him? Just watch my 2nd game against JRiz.

Roxor, I'm wondering why you didn't go for FW. Once you spotted the homo, wouldn't a single FW squad shoot me dead before I could field scourges?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Roxor, I'm wondering why you didn't go for FW.

Because I went for Tom Kroots instead

and also because I was so invested in the insane stealth team micro the entire game I got overwhelmed by all this shit it was too late to back down

RK47

Patron
Ep4KTwd.jpg
oh ...someone finished his fasting and self-flagellating already?

RK47

Patron
IftQwzb.png
Remember, Popiel. Act soft when you are hard and act hard when you are soft.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't get these complicated English sentences.

EDIT: Now that you added some quality picture I get what you mean :salute:

RK47

Patron

Game 1
It went badly when Necron miscalculated the power of Chaos Lord and 1 Squad of Chaos Marine.
Necron lord near death and a squad of warrior wiped. Not worth it.
Necron should stay on defensive in this match up.
No sense in fighting a losing battle. 1-0 to Roxor, losing only 1 cultist.

Game 2
:lol: Both players trying to perform a circus play of some sort with hilarious result.
So many sub-optimal shit being done by Dark Eldar.
Haemonculus spent at least a full minute doing absolutely nothing while Scourges and Mandrake were being slaughtered by.... Stealth Suits.
I'm bewildered by people picking Dark Eldar and not seizing the early initiative. That fast Haemonculus was an interesting play but it's like buying quality ingredients but not having the technique to whip out a decent dish.
You went for a fast Archon but what did he do upon coming out? He sits there for 30 seconds trying to foresee the future of his dying race in the grim darkness of the future millenia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom