Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

potatojohn

Arcane
If you ever wanted to know what the ArmA 2 multiplayer experience is like, this video is very representative.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Day Z is a pretty cool Arma2 mod, I'm just fucking tired of zombies in games. I wouldn't mind if it was just people against people survival on this desolated map.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
So apparently a mod for Arma 2 called 'DayZ' is the new big shit (not likely). It features zombies and open world.

- overview

Guy gets mugged at gunpoint and killed (maybe rape in future versions?)

Steve

Augur
Its pretty fun for a while, then you realize there's not much else to do than gather loot until you eventually get shot in the back by some random dude for no reason at all. The zombies pose no real threat and can be just kited as they have to stop for attacking you.
Not to sound like a hipster but the popularity kinda ruined it, the servers barely work anymore and the community went to hell as all the grimdark "I'd kill you in real life too if this was a real situation" kids got their hands on the game.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Give it a bit of time and chances are the grimdarks are going to quit, but with the added people chances are the MOD will get more support and there for grow bigger faster.

Peter

Arcane
Looks p. cool. Would like to try it. Requires Operation Arrowhead, though.
:x

Quilty

Magister
Not sure if this has already been mentioned here, but I've been playing DayZ a lot recently, a zombie survival mod for Arma II: OA. Basically all you need is the game and the mod files and a server usually populated by 50 people max. You spawn somewhere on the map, you only have a gun, some ammo, some food and water, and no map. Go forth, meet other people, survive against incredibly fast zombies and get betrayed by other players.

The atmosphere is excellent, mainly because the servers are largely empty of players, so you only rarely meet other people, but there's a constant paranoia among players whenever two or more people cross paths. The servers are persistent, i.e. whatever happens on the map is remembered by the game, so you may come across the bodies of fallen players, and every time you log out your inventory and stats are saved. Time is realistic, and depends on the time of day of the location of the server. By stats I mean your health, kills, how many players you've killed (do it too often and you change appearance and turn into a bandit, a free kill for anyone). It's hard to enter a server, but the game seems to be blowing up these days, and the sales of OA have soared mainly because of this mod, so I suppose we can expect to see more servers soon.

Here are some links:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Its pretty fun for a while, then you realize there's not much else to do than gather loot until you eventually get shot in the back by some random dude for no reason at all.

That's the whole point isn't it, carebear faggots collect shit to be farmed by the machete rape gangs.

Steve

Augur
You rarely kill anyone for his items, there is too much stuff lying around to be able to run out of supplies, in most cases you shoot a guy because the chances are that he is going to kill you if you dont kill him first, it's pretty much just battle royale at the moment.

MCA
Day Z is a pretty cool Arma2 mod, I'm just fucking tired of zombies in games.

What zombie games? You mean the shitty MP shooters like L4D? Or the top-down grinders like Zombie Shooter?

There has yet to be a proper zombie game worth its salt. It's not like the genre is saturated outside the shitty grinding games.

MCA
That last video looks hilarious. What a drama queen.

Anyway, I would have expected better from Arma2 and the modders. Shit stiff animations. Lag. No melee. Looks pretty much like the crappy zombie mods for Arma.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I watched all five of 'The Days Ahead'. His chicken shit drama added to it but he eventually acted more like a seasoned warrior and eventually there were only two survivors. It was pretty fun to watch, I might have to finally buy Arma 2. I've just been putting off upgrading my aging ATI4870, it runs everything except Crysis on max but I guess I'lll have to bite the bullet and get something that'll run this game.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Guy gets mugged at gunpoint and killed (maybe rape in future versions?)

lmao what a fucking pussy larper. why did he get down and do what they say? i would have just blasted those two straight away or ran off

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I tried the Arrowhead demo. Kind of pissed that I can't rebind Second Mouse Btn to Move Forward. I've been using that set-up for almost 15 years and the only other game I played that didn't let me change it was an MMO, DDO Online. I can use the 'E' key, but in the thick of things many years of experience don't work. I'm not used to the E key (I'm an ESDFer, not a WASD person).

Also the tutorial was annoying, showed me how to move but not select weapons, zoom, use maps, GPS or even shoot targets or use the inventory. Had me using some mad scheme of flying helicopters with a mouse. A mouse, and the nose up/down was inverted. It reminded me of that annoying flight thing you had to do in San Andreas. If I want to fly people around online I'm going to hook up a flight stick and spend a few hours or so before ferrying around fellow troops online.

After changing all of the keys during the tutorial (about an hour and a half, and still not getting mouse btn 2 to work as Move forward) I started the single player campaign and it had wiped out all of my fucking key bindings. I wish I'd learned the WASD way, life would be so much easier but ESDF gives you and extra row of keys to hit with your pinky. Giving up tonight.

Looks like a great game though. Hoping they have an ini file somewhere so I can do it all manually and not piss around with their in game key configuration again, that is maddening.

MCA
Use a remapper.

Just watched The Days Ahead Part 2 and massive LULZ at physics:

OXX1o.png

Jeebus... I had no idea the game was this fucking bad.

Ethan Duvall

Learned
This mod idea is amazing but it unfortunately has some serious game breaking bugs (fucking Arma engine).

Zombies love to run through walls and the mele combat is extreme shit and using buildings as a defense position is fucking impossible.

I wish it has stability and mele combat of L4D and with such a huge open world this could be the greatest thing ever.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's only 3.5 weeks old so there's not much content yet but devs (with the leading one being Bohemia's MP designer) promised they are working on adding quests that will give you some awesome rewards and you will only be able to complete them with a group to promote teamwork.

It's an awesome mod. Very brutal. The only way to survive for a long time is to find a group to play with. Random assholes think twice before attacking groups - so groups kill them instead lul.

It is butthurt-central because it has permadeath. I mean you can spend a week gathering cool equipment and then one bullet from an ambushing asshat ends it all - you are forced to start over and he grabs your lewt.

Also another canonic video that shows what Day Z is all about

Tents allow you to create stashes - yes like those in STALKER - and store your lewt in them, of course you need to hide them well or other players may find them and rob you, you can always get that lewt back even after you die from them. They are pretty rare.

The dude is shaking from a blood loss.

Quilty

Magister
I can usually disregard most of Arma 2's engine's glitches, but it's fukcing annoying to walk into a town, and then hear a zombie that sounds like it's right on top of you, even though it's actually dozens of meters away. It's the problem of the audio system I guess, but sometimes it's not. You may think "oh it's just the audio fucking with me, there's no zombies around me, I can't see them", but guess what? A zombie was three meters away from you, clipped inside a house you can't enter. So of course he comes rushing out through a wall like a ghost and alerts the entire town.

Sigh. I really want to love you Arma, I do.

MCA
I watched the video of a guy run for 10+ minutes with bleeding in his legs and survive.

Also:
the game features a humanity meter to chart your interactions with other survivors. Malevolent players can earn a “Bandit” ranking that changes their outward appearance and makes them a target for frontier justice.

Hand-holding console shit masquerading as a survival sim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom