Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead in Vinland - Love, syphilis and diarrhea in medieval Canada

Mark Richard

Arcane
It drove me crazy.

Took a chance on Dead in Vinland and regretted it ever since. Each party member has meters under the categories hunger, fatigue, injury, sickness and depression. These meters decline every night or when actions are undertaken. Buildings also degrade every night, when they're used, and when they're hit by storms. I need wood to boil water to drink, but the lumber yard is damaged. I need rope to fix the lumber yard, and hemp to create the rope, but the herbalist's camp is damaged. I need wool to fix the herbalist camp, but first I need to build pens for sheep using wood and rope, which I can't get because the lumber yard is damaged.

:negative:

Morkar Left

It drove me crazy.

Took a chance on Dead in Vinland and regretted it ever since. Each party member has meters under the categories hunger, fatigue, injury, sickness and depression. These meters decline every night or when actions are undertaken. Buildings also degrade every night, when they're used, and when they're hit by storms. I need wood to boil water to drink, but the lumber yard is damaged. I need rope to fix the lumber yard, and hemp to create the rope, but the herbalist's camp is damaged. I need wool to fix the herbalist camp, but first I need to build pens for sheep using wood and rope, which I can't get because the lumber yard is damaged.

:negative:

Sounds like the most realistic simulation of life ever.

Thal

Prophet
You know, I played UnReal World once. The premise and systems of the game simply sucked me in. To first survive and then to thrive in an Iron Age world, where everything you did was to prepare for the winter. I found perfect hunting grounds where four lakes were separated by three narrow strips of land between them. I dug in my traps and chased Elks there. The meat was so plentiful that I could smoke the excess and could easily survive anything that could come. I even built an additional house next to my sauna, where I did the smoking, having meticulously cut down trees and then refined timber into logs before I could finally start building it.

Then I realized that I had spent three days of my life doing busywork and had nothing to show for it, except a digital house. It's really hard to translate into words the horrible realization of having willfully wasted my life that way. I think it took me 2-3 years before I played another computer game again.

Now, I play Temple of Elemental Evil and go on actual hikes. Won't feel terrible anymore.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
It's nothing like KoDP, this is more of a survival sim with CnC in regards to character interactions but 0 CnC for plot events, at least in the time I played it.

Tbh the survival management is legit hard, Mark Richard's description isn't overselling it, the beginning is really painful and there is no shortage of events (both story and random) to screw you over just as you think you've got it together.

But once you do hit the point where you can actually fend for yourself, the game gets super grindy because you keep repeating the same actions day in day out and this takes more time then should be required because you need to shift people around between morning and afternoon phases. This is why I ended up losing interest even though I did kinda like the game and was curious to see if characters affinity for each other ended up mattering in the end and gave different endings depending on who got along with who or if it's only the cnc parts that count. Some dilemnas I had faced: is my viking daughter going to become a lesbian for her wildling best pal or will she fall for the christian missionary lad? The pirate dude and indian seductress made a bet with each other to seduce the matriarch/patriarch of the viking family respectively, can they actually pull it off? So some fun situations and assuming affinity matters, then a fair amount of replayability.

But yeah the grind is really autistic and put me off. If they make a 3rd game in this ilk I hope to god they add some automation.

thesecret1

Arcane
ss_8b54bded6973426e53ceb8c049b52cad5eb278bc.1920x1080.jpg
Is this a viking rape simulator?

Silva

Arcane
Few hours in. Gameplay is actually decent, if super grindy. There are sliders to adjust everything.

The dialogue is so bad it's good.
The villain is out from some Mad Max movie.
You may encounter a samurai woman (!?), a Rastafarian and Hammurabi in the forest.
Game doesn't take itself serious at all.

It has my respect. :salute:

Last edited:

RaptorRex888

Learned
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Dead In Vinland Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Watch Vinland Saga Like Nigga Watch The Anime Haha

Codex Year of the Donut
the writing in this is truly awful, couldn't stomach playing it for longer than 15 minutes

is writing now a dead art form?

thesecret1

Arcane
is writing now a dead art form?
Been for years now. Often, they literally let any retard do the writing nowadays. And the people who often boast degrees and what not... yeah, that's like expecting to hire Da Vinci while hiring from a school of modern art.

thesecret1

Arcane
And the people who often boast degrees and what not...
these people tend to be the worst writers tho
Yes. Most of them haven't written a single book-sized story (and seriously, what are you even doing in an arts field if you aren't willing to actually produce said art? Writing a normal-length book over the period of a couple years is perfectly doable, even at leisure pace), just some two-page shit that's only read and rated by their teacher (not to mention what's being taught at such schools nowadays is often bogus, as in other arts). You'd literally get better quality if you went to a fanfiction site and hired someone who produced a couple well-rated, decent length stories. At least those managed to actually keep a longer plotline going from start to finish and, more importantly, actually published their work for the world to see (with success, even).

How can one be a certified artist if he's never produced any art bar some small trifles, and with such small trifles only ever being seen and evaluated by some teacher, or maybe their classmates?

Sarathiour

Cipher
It's not like the rest of the game is really good either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom