Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dead Monarchy: Open-World | Turn-Based | Mercenary Management | RPG - Fully Released May 19th 2023

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Wait, I got that confused with "Fatigued". Exhausted happens when condition reaches 0. You need to go to the temple to heal condition.

EDIT: I'm filming myself as a reference for a freelance animator, so I am quite exhausted myself swinging around brooms and all kinds of other shit.
Just to double-check: exhausted or fatigued?

So, "Exhausted" applies when your condition reaches 0 and halves your AP and disables weapon abilities. Every time you fight a battle all your active warriors get condition reduced by -1. The only way to currently restore condition is to go to the temple, select the warrior and pay the crowns to heal their condition.

"Fatigued" applies only during combat and triggers when your stamina reaches 0. After it applies, it reduces the chance to regain +5 stamina per turn to 50%, you'll need to wait a few turns until your stamina recovers for it to be removed. It'll be removed once stamina is above 0.

I need to look into stamina again though and perhaps make it increase/decrease in increments of 5. It feels a bit awkward when you are left on a number like 1 stamina because you have 11 stamina. Making stamina in increments of 5 would then at least give the players the option of completely expending it and risking the fatigued debuff or waiting for it to recover.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1037940/announcements/detail/1611641808895629786
General Update #12: Launch Report
4 Jul @ 5:34pm - Dead Monarchy Studios

Hey guys,

So it has been just over 2 weeks since Dead Monarchy launched into early access and so I thought it would be nice to talk about what the near future holds. First though, I'd like to thank the community again for their overwhelming support. I knew sales were not going to be off the charts so I kept my expectations in check but what I never really anticipated was the amazing support and patience from the community.

One of the biggest motivations I have is the community, the feedback and support I get from you guys really helps fuel my passion and in turn improves the overall game. Also, thank you to everyone who has left a review, whether it is positive or negative, it all amounts to feedback that I process. If you guys haven't left a review yet, when you find the time it would be great if you could write one up!

So let's talk about my current plans. Currently I am working with a freelance modeler to get custom weapon models into the game and a freelance animator to get custom animations in. While these things may not be the biggest priorities, the reality is that freelancers come and go so I need to work to their schedule.

At the same time, I am still developing the actual game and I am really trying hard to upload weekly builds. I think by next week, both the freelancers will be on track so I can then direct more time back to actual development.

What I really want to push for is the perks system. If you read the Upcoming Features thread, you would have noticed that I said 3-6 months. That is me being super realistic but I would like to push a bit harder and try to get it in earlier.

I think the plan will be to break up the perks system into smaller updates, gradually introducing the perks in waves. The first few builds may "unbalance" the game giving too much power to the player but in time it will be tweaked based on feedback. I feel that the sooner I get it into your hands the faster the actual development will be. Rather than me testing the same perks for several months on my own, I'd rather quickly identify all the flaws and make improvements on them.

I really am not making any promises, but if all goes well, I could be done with the initial perks system in 3 months. At that point, I would like to let it "stew" for a bit and start work on the world map. As crazy as it sounds, there is a chance that the initial world map could make it in by the end of this year. That is, if I release a rough version, enough to give the community an idea of how it would work. The world map build would probably be released into a beta branch though.

Then come next year, I will be alternating between both the perks system and the world map. Small elements from the other points I listed in the Upcoming Features thread would probably start to bleed over too.

This is all based on whether or not things go to plan, if not then it would fall back to the timeframes I specified previously. So with all that said, I am hoping we can continue to work together!
steamhappy

PrettyDeadman

How is this game doing on steam? Does it feel financially viable to make only source of income?

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
How is this game doing on steam? Does it feel financially viable to make only source of income?

At this point, far from it. All the new work I'm doing with freelancers is still funded through my own private savings. You could say passion alone is driving the development of this game, luckily you don't have to pay for that. :D

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is player character creation in yet? Holding off on playing till then.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Is player character creation in yet? Holding off on playing till then.

Player character creation in terms of creating a "playable leader avatar" will be a while away. Right now my two main objectives is the perks system and world map.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've been playing early access versions for a bit.
Some random thoughts that have come up follow:
-Steam says that I've had game running around 5 hours and during that time I've re-started campaign 3 or 4 times, so I got no anywhere near comprehensive view of the game.
-There's been some changes to town mechanics and world map/expeditions are very much work-in-progress, so I'm going to focus little of what I've seen of tactical battles.
-So far I've only done 1st and 2nd tier expeditions.
-Enemies seem to be tied to certain biomes. You'll get ratmen on forests and vampires (lowest tier of those seem to have weird tendency die without any apparent reason) on tundra.
-AI behavior seems to be pretty simple with close combat oriented enemies simply rushing your lines or shooters that always try disengage from close combat (thus giving plenty of changes for opportunity attacks)
-Game has armour system where units have torso and head slots with their own armor ratings. I've never found any reason to break helmets, because game doesn't seem to randomise body locations where hits land. In fact attacking head and attacking body are 2 separate weapon skills, same with breaking armours and helmets. As system is now it's pretty simple to break armour followed by killing blow to same body part. Perhaps helmets and armours could offer unified defense rating and attack skills could be compressed to simpler break armour/cause health damage options.
-Units expending stamina is pretty straightforward system, but I've got no idea on which circumstances units lose morale. Sometimes units seem to run because of no reason at all.
-There seem be some environmental hazards on combat maps. For example on tundra units feet might be frozen. Some of these seem to be universal dice roll against all units on map and some require unit to move to certain tile before triggering. Perhaps some indicator that unit is going to move on some hazardous tile could help?
-I think that the way that game divides players deployment zone into three distinct chunks is somewhat strange and limits tactical options during deployment (you can't even fit a full party on one of those chunks). Why not a single continuous deployment zone?

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Thanks for the feedback. The vampires that are dying in the Tundra have an ability where they have a 50% chance to add their own Strength to an allied target or a 50% chance to die as well, separate rolls. I guess the issue is the ability isn't clearly conveyed, something I'm aware of but it'll take time for me to do things like animations/particle effects or updating the battle log to make it clearler. For now there is a bestiary that updates each time you encounter a new monster.

Yeah I wanted to make monster AI a little more simple to make the human AI feel smarter in comparison, but I admit the monster AI still needs refinement. If a unit runs for no reason in the forest biome it is a tile effect. Head/body, I've been thinking about that, but other players have also suggested a penalty hit chance for the head.

Deployment zones is just something left in due to when I was testing the initial formation AI/ability effects and had the parties split up into groups of 6. I'll look into just creating a continuous deployment zone. Thanks again for the feedback!

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
It's been a while but Build 5 is finally out (experimental beta branch), I should be able to go back to my weekly builds from now on. It's quite a big read, I'll sum up the main points. Weapon swapping, so you can bring two weapons into combat, meaning you can combine different abilities from two sets. Basic series of perks for all melee abilities. At this point the perks system isn't finished, but there should be enough content for testing and I will now begin to work on the world map and eventually alternate between the two things.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1037940/announcements/detail/1604892840076440168

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
First thing that came to mind was "This looks a lot like UFO:Alien Invasion" and with that I was hooked. I hope it's good.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
First thing that came to mind was "This looks a lot like UFO:Alien Invasion" and with that I was hooked. I hope it's good.

There's still a lot of work to do but the initial response has been positive overall. Glad you are interested and will be looking forward to any feedback when you get your hands on it.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Here are some in-editor/WIP shots of the upcoming update. The first overworld map I'll release is the map for the "forest biome". I've also added in filler terrains for the background that can be toggled on and off, you can toggle the grass on and off too if you just want basic terrain as it is quite performance heavy. Still need to work on the lighting, but wanted to show off some progress. I am also testing the player character and the avatar that is on the map is the player too, so any armor changes will be reflected correctly on the map.

Filler_Terrain_1.jpg

No_Filler_Terrain.jpg

World_Map_1.jpg

World_Map_2.jpg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I added this to my never ending backlog.

March 2020: Complete Rebuild
Development Will Continue!

Hey guys,

So the operation went smoothly and now I'm just taking things easy as I recover. While I spend the majority of my time just laying down resting, I've had a lot of time to think and plan. A lot of time to think about the future of Dead Monarchy and also the current situation we are all facing.

So I guess it is time for me to address the elephant in the room, otherwise known as the Coronavirus or Covid-19. As the situation continues to intensify it will no doubt impact upon development. I'm a solo indie developer working on a project that has been entirely self-funded yet I cannot work on this project full-time as it is not generating enough revenue for me to leave the multiple day jobs that I'm juggling. At the end of the day, I need enough money to support my family, our day to day needs and whatever freelancers that I'm working with.

It's only a matter of time before the restaurants and cafes shut down and so when that happens a significant portion of my income will be affected. It's not all doom and gloom though, this isn't when I say that I'm stopping development but it has been a very rude awakening for me.

If there is a total lockdown in Australia, who knows how long that will last and the revenue alone that I make from Dead Monarchy won't cover the daily expenses. To put things into context, I've spent over 8000 hours now on development and I have netted under 10K. The game has sold 1336 copies and has 30 reviews of which 27 are publicly displayed. I'm sure a few indie developers might be interested to see the actual figures too, so I've posted them up.

0727124f9a7050af4e2bb66b308e9fb766a0cd04.jpg

The figures are pretty brutal but at the same time, these were the figures I was more or less expecting. This is the first game from an unknown developer and it is also an early access title. I've noticed quite a lot of my posts recently have been quite "negative" I suppose and I'm not inherently searching for sympathy but I'm just talking about my development journey and it just so happens that the end of 2019/2020 has more or less been the hardest year in my entire 27 years of existence.

At the same time, I also want to say that I am extremely grateful for everyone that has bought, tried, reviewed and wishlisted the game, the support without a doubt is very encouraging. I knew Dead Monarchy wouldn't be a hit right out the gate, it's a niche game and a passion project of mine that will go through countless iterations. I was more or less plodding along but sometimes passion doesn't put food on the table, especially when your primary source of income is suddenly under threat by a global pandemic of all things. I knew my development journey would be hard, but I didn't see this coming haha.

Now that I got all of that out of the way, I want to stress that development of Dead Monarchy will continue, as a solo developer I don't inherently rely on anyone or have to pay anyone to perform crucial tasks, that is the one good thing about working on this project alone. So long as I'm alive, Dead Monarchy will continue to move forward.

That said, I need to start thinking about the future and think about generating multiple sources of income so I can support myself. As such, I've decided to do a complete rebuild of Dead Monarchy from the ground up. At first glance that doesn't really make sense, it might make more sense to rush the game out but I have my reasons.

The rebuild is really a COMPLETE rebuild, I will be looking into every single aspect of DM from models to formulas, UI and gameplay etc etc. After the rebuild is completed, that will most likely be the point in time where I will increase the price, I feel that is fair enough.

As this is my first game, there has been a lot of iteration but also a lot of redundant things in the editor that clogs things up. Now that I know the limitations and have a framework to reference, it will be a lot easier to implement larger changes. Also going in the second time, I now have a great community behind me with a lot of good feedback. Rebuilding from the ground up is really the only way to implement more dramatic changes, now that I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. It really is just like creating a sequel.

Lastly, as I rebuild Dead Monarchy, I will be using this new framework to look into the possibility of creating new games or spin-off titles. Those new games are still years away but the reality is I need to start looking into trying to create more sources of income, it's just the reality that I now face. There needs to be some change in the game plan now that my primary source of income is under threat, I cannot just maintain the status quo and sit by idly.

This means that my main focus will now shift to rebuilding Dead Monarchy, but the existing DM builds will still get periodic updates, the next update will be coming out soon in fact. While I am rebuilding, I will of course be posting updates and gathering feedback on proposed changes. The rebuilding effort is basically a very large update, a total overhaul of the entire game, the catch is it will just take a while. I've also decided that as I reach milestones I will be uploading the rebuilt version to the beta branch so that you guys can see the progress for yourself.

I feel that Dead Monarchy is a true to roots early access title, not just a late beta build masquerading as an EA title being released into EA because it's a safer and more profitable way to gauge public opinion. A lot can change, a lot has already changed and the feedback from players no doubt prompts change, the culmination of all this feedback is partly why I have decided to do a complete rebuild.

I'm hoping I can get everyone's support and understanding on this. It is a pretty big move but we now live in strange and unpredictable times so at the very least I need to start thinking about trying to secure the future and this is the only way forward that I can see without having to sell my soul or secretly deciding to stop development but still announce that I'm opening up a Patreon account to help "fund" development.

Cheers,
Kevin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom