Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Goes Live

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Zed, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

The anticipated Kickstarter page for Double Bear's Dead State has now gone live. They're asking for $150 000, a pretty feasible sum. As long as they keep updating the project page and post on the Codex.

Product pitch:

Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize allies, fortify a shelter, scout for food and supplies, and make uncertain alliances, attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.​

For $15 you'll get a DRM-free digital download. Higher tiers include rewards like getting your portrait into the game or designing an in-game item. For $5000 you get an invite to the launch party.

On why they want your precious banknotes:

Most of the staff of DoubleBear has been working on Dead State in their spare time (which is why you may have heard of it), and while we’ve managed to finish a bit of work, there’s still a ways to go. RPGs are big games with lots of content, writing, and systems – you don’t see a lot of companies making them because they can take years, even with large teams and major funding. We need your funding to help us keep our staff on full-time and hire additional staff to speed up production of the game. We’re not just trying to build one great RPG with the tools and assets we create – we want to keep delivering new and exciting indie RPGs to you. But first we need to get Dead State finished, and that’s going to take the support of fans like you.

Where does the money go? It pays salaries, goes to licenses for software and equipment, and gives us flexibility to bring on additional people at certain stages of the project (like sound, for instance). We’re asking for enough to get the project done, but we’ve also got stretch goals that will allow us to add more content to the game. Once we get funded, we will be showing off our progress here and on our forums and website regularly. We’ve been very open with our fans about the project, and we’ll continue to be throughout the production process.​

Go here to check it out.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    I am now a backer. So looking forward to this!

:love:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    I pledged 15 buckaroos after all. I was hesitant at first but they have me convinced they will actually do something with this.

They should have timed it after E3 though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Kosmonaut Lost in Space

Self-Ejected
    Backed 15 bucks. The T-Rex girl brought many lulz and the game deserves the money. Congratulations to the Dead State team.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, how much money will they get just from tards who confuse DoubleBear with DoubleFine? :smug:

^ Top  
  7. likaq Arcane

likaq
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TAKE MY MONEY BRIAN. TAKE IT!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Another :bounce: crpg project for me. Can't afford more than 15$ though. :( Can't wait for this, and Shadowrun, and Wasteland 2! :incline: Now I finally have something to really look forward to in gaming! Maybe even Obsidian kickstarter, who knows? :love:

^ Top  
  9. FrancoTAU Liturgist

FrancoTAU
    I was pledging anyways, but the in game video looked a lot better than I was thinking. Those big bland and empty dialog boxes were the only thing that annoyed me.

^ Top  
  10. Davaris Australian Game Developers Developer

Davaris
    It looks fantastic. I really like that Brian is a zombie film fan.

If you are reading Brian, you need to slow down your talking to half speed. I had to really focus, to keep up with you.

^ Top  
  11. likaq Arcane

likaq
    Someone should tweet Fargo about this kickstarter!

^ Top  
  12. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Gonna donate once it meets its funding goal, win-win for everyone.

^ Top  
  13. hiver Guest

hiver
    First, why the hell Iron Towers or Age of Decadence are not mentioned at all, even f`ing once?
    I know that forums are mentioned (again without even mentioning Iron Towers), so some people will notice something but what the hell?

Oh hey great, you mention it once. Way, way down and in a rather neutral, unclear manner. No links to anything... no personal IT dev details stating their previous experience...accomplishments.... links to AOD demo....

Great job.

Second, rewards for higher tiers should be more juicy. At least for 5 gees people should get a whole ally NPC i think.
    Make him or her a simpler one, doesnt matter.
    Youre not going to get many of those anyway.

1000 and 2000 rewards are not juicy enough, give people at least a fully named and personalized zombie or non-ally NPC for chris sakes...

500 is atrocious.

Who is doing your PR guys?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Hey everyone. It's hiver.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  15. Lockkaliber Magister Patron

Lockkaliber
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It's hard to think of a more worthy project to back, except maybe for Age of Decadence. You have my money Brian and Annie!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    Wait...what? Why? Your donation doesn't get charged unless they reach their funding goal anyway...

^ Top  
  17. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Well, this kickstarter turned out a lot better than I was expecting considering what's been shown of the game so far.

This will have no trouble getting funded. The game itself sounds very ambitious, meaning it will probably either be awesome or horribly broken if it doesn't turn out to be vaporware. Don't let us down, asshole. :salute:

^ Top  
  18. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    The promises they make me tingle inside. Although several bits of the game's concept has been partly used elsewhere (some zombie strategy flash games come to mind), I don't think anything this big has been tried before.

Also, judging by Annie's avatar here, that cartoon bit with the publisher looks like her evil work.

^ Top  
  19. hiver Guest

hiver
    Whaaaaat?

Did i ruin someone emotional engagement again?

^ Top  
  20. InspectorRumpole Cipher

InspectorRumpole
    I'm no gfx whore but..

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    Excellent pitch video. It was great to see lots of different locations, which helps giving credibility and gaining interest in the project from newcomers' eyes.
    Brian did indeed talk a bit way too fast but otherwise it would make the video quite long. This way you have a reason to watch it again and again while absorbing all those juicy details. All is good.
    Another point in favor is the value asked for, which gives the project a high chance of being successful, which in its turn attracts more backers. After that new pledge goals will do the rest.

I predict great success!

^ Top  
  22. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    0/10

^ Top  
  23. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Backed.

^ Top  
  24. Kosmonaut Lost in Space

Self-Ejected

^ Top  
  25. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    In the middle of E3? You learn nothing from Custom Robo Annie?

^ Top