Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Goes Live

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
People are putting up adventure titles for $350K+
Are you implying that adventure games are cheaper/easier to make than RPGs?
How the fuck did you reach that conclusion based on what was said?

I'm not sure I follow. Is this a point of controversy? All other things being equal, a point-and-click adventure game is cheaper than an RPG.

But the scope of each project is so different that this kind of cross-genre comparison isn't necessarily useful.

hiver

Annie Mitsoda

Ah, no, i didnt mean mentioning AoD or IT in the video. That was fine. And Brian looks a bit buffed out doesnt he? Pushing weights was he?
I bet he could kick ass of 99% of the codex. Thats good to know!
:)

I meant mentioning Iron Towers as sort of partners and colleagues as they are, on the kickstarter page.
Nothing too blatant though. Just a bit more, yknow... and a few links mabey?

Also, i see many people talking about rewards on kictarter page, though about lower tiers. Good suggestions there. You should consider upping the rewards across the board.
My suggestion (as those others are too) is just an idea. Not a request followed by tantrums. You should consider it. Thats all.

Youll get some money from me as it is anyway. Not right now because im in the process of creating some right now but certainly before the deadline... hmm...dead...line...hmm... :)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
People are putting up adventure titles for $350K+
How the fuck did you reach that conclusion based on what was said?

I'm not sure I follow. Is this a point of controversy? All other things being equal, a point-and-click adventure game is cheaper than an RPG.

But the scope of each project is so different that this kind of cross-genre comparison isn't necessarily useful.

Marsal said:
I think 150k is too much. You could buy a kidney in Greece and still have enough money to make a game with that amount of money.

Annie said:
People are putting up adventure titles for $350K+, so we figured $150K was a reachable and inoffensive goal.

Marsal said:

:hearnoevil:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Must've missed his medication this morning. Happens sometime. But yeah, anyone with combat demo? I'm having doubts now.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
More physical items as rewards is appealing, but when I looked into the possibility for several, it's a huge kick in the proverbial nuts. The cost of creating the items on top of the shipping fees destroy so much of the profit in the contribution that the ranking would have to be ridiculously high to make it worthwhile... which wouldn't make sense in the end as far less people would be willing to invest at that tier, and seeing appealing seemingly-cheap incentives included at super-high tiers would make people actually MAD about the whole thing. A lot of times, Kickstarters that have a shitload of physical incentives (posters, coffeemugs, merkins, etc) are seeing a lot of that profit funneled away into having to create and ship those items, and not actually putting those funds into making their game.
As always - PM me if you have questions OR just ask em right here and I'll get them answered. And HOORAY, OUR GAME! :D

I posted this over at ITS, but just in case you don't see it there, here it is:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/15312/superior-print-on-demand-pod

They do it all for you, including shipping and they send you the profit$. They have a nice video explaining it on their website.

Also there is a discussion here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/745616/print-on-demand-edition-coming-soon

If it is too much trouble to do it on KS, you can set something up and people can order the boxes from the above companies, after the game ships.

zeitgeist

Magister
Loved the talk about strategic combat and varying tactics illustrated by multiple scenes showing the exact same "characters standing 2-3 squares apart and trading shots/blows" system AoD had. Very convincing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Oh god. No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*Unwatch thread*

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
To be honest, I don't really like the tiers. They are too expensive for mostly digital stuff.
Nevertheless, you got my $15. I wish I could give more. :)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally a sensible goal after a whole bunch of turdy KS projects asking for the crown fucking jewels with nothing to show for it. I'll probably back it eventually...have to see how Tex goes and what extras they can tempt me with first. The basic offers here for anything above $15 are indeed shit. Eisenwald did it far better with an extra copy at $25 and all the DLC at $35. Dead State looks tailor made for milking with DLC so I suggest they do something similar to temp backers.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
...*reads marsal's post*

Shit. Is there a combat video or demo of sorts?! :? I'm kinda worried it'll turn out like AoD. I didn't like that one at all.

If you're genuinely worried, don't stress too much. I assume you didn't appreciate the way combat was balanced, the encounter design and lack of togglable skills in AOD. Dead State will likely have different design in a lot of those areas. So if you dislike the combat it will probably be for different reasons.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
To be honest, I don't really like the tiers. They are too expensive for mostly digital stuff.
Nevertheless, you got my $15. I wish I could give more. :)

I actually like the fact they are not offering goodies, I quite dislike them and would prefer my money to be spent on making the game

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guild Wars 2 sucks, but I loved Vampire and Soz. What would Volourn do?

-Edit- I was gonna pledge $3000, but then I remembered that Annie preferred Gundam Wing to Mobile Suit Gundam. Now I'm goinna pledge $15 and a bottle of Captain Morgan instead.

:martini:

Deleted member 7219

Watched the Kickstarter vid. Pledged. I always wanted to play a zombie game where you aim is to survive, not eliminate the threat, just survive. The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks influences my thinking on the subject. Get a base, get supplies, do things right.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They also should support Kicking It forward.

They really shouldn't.

Why not?

I would have thought that with all the Kick it Forward income over the next year it could be very good to help out the next generation of RPG's, strategy stuff, adventures that belong to a niche. A group like Two Guys with their Space Venture would possibly get helped out by a dev that had already succeeded if they looked like falling short(as they are now). I doubt devs will give all their funding from the start, but more likely they will give a bit to raise awareness: "Project X backed by inXile and Obsidian!" and then if the project is a bit short by the end, they'd fund the shortfall.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Think I'll chime in with a 50.

The gameplay seems to be described consisting (nigh) solely of enhancing the shelter, "nannying" the NPC's there, and doing scavenging runs for supplies - yet they talk about multiple endings. Is there a specific storyline, or is there simply a timeframe after which certain "key" actions are counted for as an ending?

Also, the "discofloor" squaregrid during combat should be scrapped as it looks like shit over an otherwise nice setup.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I have to agree with the others.launching this during E3 wasn't such a great idea,every gaming site around will be flooded with E3 articles and many people might not notice this.I don't think a small developer like Double Bear can afford to lose anyone.

Anyway backed with 15$,since most tiers aren't as good as other kickstarters but I am willing go up to 100 if Vault Dweller Brian adds Annies's bikini photos
ah3oU.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
$46264 out of $150000 pledged with 29 days left. Looks like this one is on schedule to get funded.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Backed with 15$ for now. This may have been answered before, but I will ask nevertheless. Is there some sort of nice storyline behind this game? So far, we've been fed with cRPG mechanics, turn-based combat, survivalist-focus, etc. But not a word about the story that would be enough of an excuse to follow the whole game. And frankly speaking, it is quite weird. After all, Brian Mitsoda worked on some of my most cherished titles narrative-wise. And, he was responsible for story/writting of VtM :B as far as I can remember.

EDIT:: Beware of the Parrot when you put VtMB abbreviation with ":" in between:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom