Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Goes Live

likaq

Arcane
Jesus, I will go bankrupt. First 115$ to Wasteland 2, now 150$ to Dead State. But I want to be part of history, part of anti-decline movement.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pretty surprised this hit $50k so fast. Looks like they should have no problem. Also, Steam key, pl0x!

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
9e9.gif

:bounce: :bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:bravo:

:kfc:

And it's already a third of the way there!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gonna donate once it meets its funding goal, win-win for everyone.
Wait...what? Why? Your donation doesn't get charged unless they reach their funding goal anyway...
I don't want to be partially responsible for helping them meet their goal but at the same time I'm not going to pass getting it for half-price when it does. It's passive aggressive brilliance.

serch

Magister
Backed with 15 $, let's see if they add something to the rewards so I can upgrade. It's pretty obvious they are avoiding getting physical, which is a smart move for a small team, but digital rewards can get better. I feel like a cheap bastard though.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Do people really pledge higher to get more rewards? I thought it's first and foremost about wanting to support the game, with the rewards being a nice "thank you" extra.

EG

Nullified
Oh . . . Oh. Thank God. That video decent! Just for this, I'll . . . pledge $15 at a later date.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Do people really pledge higher to get more rewards? I thought it's first and foremost about wanting to support the game, with the rewards being a nice "thank you" extra.

I guess so judging by the massive % of $15 pledges so far relative to basically any other notable KS.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
We prefer to add the extra goodies as stretch goals. As we added to the FAQ...

"Our team philosophy is that if we create extra content such as new levels, weapon packs, and special features, we want everybody who buys the game to enjoy it. So, here’s the deal – when we meet our stretch goals, we’ll be adding a whole lot of items that most game companies would package as DLC, but in the spirit of a game about everyone working together, we ask that if you are interested in additional items or content, you give an extra amount you consider fair to help meet our stretch goals. Everyone works together for the benefit of more game for everybody. No costume packs, no special game-breaking weapon, no super cool level for select players only – just more fun for everybody."

EG

Nullified
So, more or less what the XCOM remake did.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Didn't Shadowrun have the higher tier donaters vote to just give the DLC to everyone instead? I know it got some bad PR when they first announced it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Didn't Shadowrun have the higher tier donaters vote to just give the DLC to everyone instead? I know it got some bad PR when they first announced it.

Yes. They wanted to add a supporter only stuff, but from the backers comments they decided to include it for everyone.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Pledged 15 bucks now, since i'm a bit low on cash atm and i've got places to be this month, but if need be (looks like people are not quite jumping on this yet) i'll certainly up it a tier or two when my next payday comes.

Edit: as always, half the codex are being smug shitheads at their own expense. No surprise there.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
...*reads marsal's post*

Shit. Is there a combat video or demo of sorts?! :? I'm kinda worried it'll turn out like AoD. I didn't like that one at all.

If you're genuinely worried, don't stress too much. I assume you didn't appreciate the way combat was balanced, the encounter design and lack of togglable skills in AOD. Dead State will likely have different design in a lot of those areas. So if you dislike the combat it will probably be for different reasons.

I cautiously withdrew my pledge, I like the idea - and spread it around. But the combat doesn't convince me. It's all I'll ever do with the zombies anyway.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Wishing them all the best. Won't be backing though. I'm really, really burnt out on zombie games.

kaizoku

Arcane
...*reads marsal's post*

Shit. Is there a combat video or demo of sorts?! :? I'm kinda worried it'll turn out like AoD. I didn't like that one at all.

If you're genuinely worried, don't stress too much. I assume you didn't appreciate the way combat was balanced, the encounter design and lack of togglable skills in AOD. Dead State will likely have different design in a lot of those areas. So if you dislike the combat it will probably be for different reasons.

I cautiously withdrew my pledge, I like the idea - and spread it around. But the combat doesn't convince me. It's all I'll ever do with the zombies anyway.
Just go back to your princess undressing game you coward!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pledged my $150 for the game. Been waiting for this one and hopefully MCA's Kickstarter sometime this year. I thought their pitch video was well done with enough info and actual game footage to give a good idea what this game will be. Though people need better audio recording when it's just them speaking and not voice-over videos! Still hope for an old-school boxed version as I am a sucker for those. Best of luck to the team as it looks like hitting their goal is well within reach.

Overboard

Arcane
I'm also not convinced enough to back this, it could be the best thing evar when/if it comes out, but for now it'll take more than a vid and a few posts by devs on here to convince me.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They also should support Kicking It forward.
They really shouldn't.
Why not?

I misstated. They could. I like Kicking It Forward, but I think we're getting the wrong mindset if we think Kickstarter projects *should* do it. No one should feel obligated to. In fact, the fear of that happening is part of the reason Kickstarter itself disapproved. Which I find understandable.

And what's more, ITS has its own structure in place to support indie RPGs and I believe Vince imagines that as a long-term thing (I may be wrong). So for a "start-up" of sorts like this, excess profits are needed to be funneled back into making games again. 5% isn't much, but I'd rather they spend it on more indie RPGs than have to donate it back to Kickstarter even if there's no actually interesting RPG around. ITS is a little different than other KIF projects in that sense.

PS: I am backing this but probably not for more than $30. I can't afford to spend a lot of money on games. 5-10 euros is my usual buying range for video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom