Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Goes Live

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Hiver is correct. The power of an idea is the only thing that can break what's set into stone to new boundaries. While I did donate pretty generously to Wasteland 2, it's the only thing I'll ever donate to until I see some good results on a finished Kickstarter project. If the games turn out to be buggy mediocre shitty vaporware messes designed by people who don't have their shit together what good is the philosophy then?

hiver

Mozgoëbstvo

Thank you, thank you dear audience.
:takes a bow:
:catches a red rose with his teeth:

Brayko

Exactly. And thats the pressure that the most important representatives of devs feel more than adequately as yet another, very strong reason to do their best and make a great end product.

MCA
Interesting that you're sarcastically agreeing with something I never said.

All I compared to Biodrones was your claim that even if their game is outright shit, it is somehow morally compulsory to monetarily support a dev studio, just because they say certain words.

Nothing to do with morals, just a simple reality check:
Do we want to see TB RPGs made? Yes.
Are the kinds of TB RPGs we want being made? No.
Do we want to help foster the development of those kinds os TB RPGs? Yes.
Is DoubleBear potentially one such environment? Well, yes?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, you're right. We get drowned in shitty TB Party RPGs every six months. Just like Biodrones.
Isn't Dead State "party-based" like Fallout? Like yeah you can have other people around and give them general commands to alter their behavior a bit, but no ability to micromanage.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
If you're looking at Kickstarters as a pre ordering system than it doesn't make sense with the risk/reward breakdowns. We're commissioning art so to speak, so something is made that otherwise wouldn't. I've only been donating to TB RPGs, Adventure games and TBS because these fuckers aren't ever going to be made above the hobbyist level if we don't.

That being said, I can't ever see donating hundreds or thousands of dollars like some of you dudes. I hope you're doing pretty well for yourselves so you're not pissed when half the games you put in for turn out to be crap or vaporware.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
That being said, I can't ever see donating hundreds or thousands of dollars like some of you dudes. I hope you're doing pretty well for yourselves so you're not pissed when half the games you put in for turn out to be crap or vaporware.

Experienced people are getting their games funded, so I don't know where this "crap" meme is coming from. As for the AAAs, when do they produce anything we consider good? They could do it so easily, but they choose not to. At least the Kickstarter guys will try.

And the donors with 100s or 1000s of dollars, its pretty obvious they are doing it to, "support the arts". No one in the AAA scene wants their money, so why not? You can't take it with you.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is turning very immature really fast, I hope you guys get a game you deserve. On the mean time, I'll wait for some promising news of combat demo of sorts. I think what Lund argues against isn't the Kickstarter Principle in general, but he sees no value in supporting 'badly made' games. I did not say Dead State is a bad game, but seeing people claiming 'I know combat is gonna be shit, but it's still worth backing' strikes me as completely irrational.

I'm out. I gotta earn that $15. To buy a day's meal or something.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
This is turning very immature really fast, I hope you guys get a game you deserve.

In turn, we wish you well...:roll:

'badly made' games.

There is no evidence the games will be badly made. None have been released for sale yet. After the games are released, you can spout your opinion on their quality, not before. You don't have a time machine.

RK47

Patron
In turn, we wish you well...:roll:

Why, thank you, old chap.

bill.png

Untitled-17.png

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
This is turning very immature really fast, I hope you guys get a game you deserve. On the mean time, I'll wait for some promising news of combat demo of sorts. I think what Lund argues against isn't the Kickstarter Principle in general, but he sees no value in supporting 'badly made' games. I did not say Dead State is a bad game, but seeing people claiming 'I know combat is gonna be shit, but it's still worth backing' strikes me as completely irrational.

I'm out. I gotta earn that $15. To buy a day's meal or something.

Don't blame you, personally I enjoyed AODs combat but know plenty didn't. That said rationalising the actions of some people with reservations, it probably just comes down to sheer desperation with the current state of western CRPGs, so much so they're willing to put money towards even the potential for minor incline.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Goddamn it. Investing/crowdfunding is guessing and prediction. There is no right or wrong unless there are very obvious flaws.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
rationalising the actions of some people with reservations, it probably just comes down to sheer desperation with the current state of western CRPGs, so much so they're willing to put money towards even the potential for minor incline.

In turn there are depressives, that prefer it when things are bad and they will fight tooth and nail, to prevent things getting better. That kind of behavior is difficult for many to comprehend, but it is part of human nature.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Just posting to clarify that I've never said people are wrong to contribute, just that it's not merely 'smug hypocrisy' not to contribute. In the end it comes down to a personal value judgement. Some people seem to think I'm saying something more controversial than I actually am. Maybe it was the way I wrote, maybe it was people skimming/misreading, maybe it was both.

I remain happy knowing that if the game turns out to be good, I can buy it. Sure full price will cost more, but I'm more than happy to reward people for making something great. If it's bad, I don't lose a thing. Perhaps I'm more hesitant to throw money at potential alone because I'm less invested in gaming as a hobby, enjoying a ton of other things more. Nevertheless, I still don't see anything wrong with my choice or whatever choice someone else makes. I don't really have anything more to say on the matter.

Oh, except for that I wouldn't mind having "scum slurping stupid brainfart" as a user title if I had one. It is phrases like these that capture the imagination.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Nah dude, I completely understand your point and its cool. Just weird that you'd be a regular poster on a hardcore RPG board if these type of games aren't that important to you.

RK47

Patron
Obviously LundB is just here to paint trolls for us.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Tuning in to post that we're adding a wallpaper for all tiers and rad other shit as well that we're gonna be posting about AND I am paying attention to the thread but unless anyone has any questions to ask I'ma go back to lurking. Came to bring good tidings, now I'm back to attempting to get shit done WHEEE

(also major brofists to contributors, you guys are the best)

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tuning in to post that we're adding a wallpaper for all tiers and rad other shit as well that we're gonna be posting about AND I am paying attention to the thread but unless anyone has any questions to ask I'ma go back to lurking. Came to bring good tidings, now I'm back to attempting to get shit done WHEEE

(also major brofists to contributors, you guys are the best)

:salute:

At this rate, we might exceed the target by a pretty significant margin.

The thing is, if it weren't for us "stupid investing people", these "smart investors" like LundB would never even have the chance to buy the game and support the devs with even more money if the game is good and he thinks game deserves his money, simply because these games WOULDN'T EVEN FUCKIN' BE MADE. Some people seem not to understand that. But I guess they enjoy state of the gaming industry as it is, and enjoy some of it's products, so why bother risk 15$ when you can pay 60$ for a quality product such as Diablo 3 and you know you are getting some quality shit? :smug:

RK47

Patron
I believe it's this statement he attacked - "even if the game turns out underwhelming or outright shit, you will also be funding the future of DoubleBear"
Then somehow along the road, people went 'we're investing into ideas, and you're stupid for buying Diablow 3 at $60'
Just accept some ppl are cynical/pessimists and move on.

I have a question Annie.
1. Can I expect some kind of effects on the enemies? I'm talking like for example, using a fire extinguisher/molotov cocktail on a pack of zombies?
2. Will we even manufacture new weapons by combining every day stuff like Dead Rising? E.g Baseball Bat + Box of Nails.
3. Can we retreat from combat since these zombies are slow? Note: I cannot do this in Age of Decadence.
4. Do we control EVERY single character of the party and their outfitting? Or are these guys AI control that follows the custom made protagonist?

I believe it's this statement he attacked - "even if the game turns out underwhelming or outright shit, you will also be funding the future of DoubleBear"
Then somehow along the road, people went 'we're investing into ideas, and you're stupid for buying Diablow 3 at $60'
Just accept some ppl are cynical/pessimists and move on.

Hey bro, I'm using his logic. As he said he'll gladly invest even more if the game's good. I'm just saying if everybody did that, there would be no such opportunity to "invest" as these games wouldn't be made. This Diablo 3 is just a bit of trolling, as I'm a bit disappointed that people on the codex gladly give a lot more money to mainstream, but are cynical/pessimistic about all those kickstarters although I think codex longed for an opportunity like this for years (opportunity to have new hope for crpg games). :salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I don't really see what economics have to do with deciding to donate to a Kickstarter or not... I mean, sure, if you look at larger trends - but then you'd need to wait 5 years or so to reach any conclusions based on reality. Then again, donating hundreds of dollars is something only a major fan would do, and clearly not everybody's cup of tea.

But for me, $15 is "If you met Annie and Brian at a conference somewhere, would you buy them a beer and wish them good luck with future projects?" money. And saying that an entry level pledge like that is something you're having doubts about is... well, like saying that you're not sure would you buy them a beer (phew, almost wrote 'bear' there) because you're not sure if you'll ever see them again so they can return the favor?

:martini:

MCA
2. Will we even manufacture new weapons by combining every day stuff like Dead Rising? E.g Baseball Bat + Box of Nails.

I haven't played Dead Rising but the stuff in Dead Island (which is where Bat + Nails was) was fucking retarded. What would could you even combine to fight zombies?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom