Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

Multi-headed Cow

Twitch is constantly buffering for me lately (Fios 50mbps so not my internet) so I can barely watch the stream, but what I did watch looked great.
Been hearing that Twitch is acting wonky. And as far as I can tell it's on their end, since my software's telling me I'm not having any issues pushing the video to them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Played this for a little bit. This is pretty cool, and pretty much what I was expecting. In the first mission, I thought I was was being very clever, and using the store doorway to fight that group of zombies that I lured to us. Except we can't attack diagonally? And man... that awesome sledgehammer.. but SEVEN AP. D:

When you loot containers, it really should show your current weight, so you can figure out what items you will carry.

kazgar

Arcane
Damn, this was a really quiet release.

No banner on the Steam storefront or anything.

huh?

63idqnO.png

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc

Firing it back up, probably will play longer this stretch.

Figured out what was causing the constant crashing by clicking load. When I started the game up first time after it went to version 1.0 I was deleting the invalid saves from early access. For whatever reason the game would crash every time I hit load if there wasn't a save in there. Saving it this time seems to have calmed it.
Had one weird issue where zambies were stacking up in one space when they shouldn't be. Was sorta fiddly but I figured the weird position (Kinda lower-left on the legs) to let me click them.

Other than those two issues things are chugging along fine, apart from me forgetting to save on my first character and getting ded, then my second character having some amazing luck (Missing two 70% hit chances in a row and then zombies landing two grapple-attacks back to back) to fuck myself up early on.

Cool, watching it! We will be releasing a patch tomorrow, hopefully, which fixes to crash on empty load screen and has many improvements to pathfinding.

Well, it's out now ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/239840/announcements/detail/257033382157093487

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
2 hours in, and...I'm not that dissapointed actually. I created a crappy Scientist-Negotiator type character so I had to rely on the trucker mom to sledgehammer any zombies into submission. Too bad some looter thought she would look better with lead in her face. I'll probably start over with just negotiator and put some points into combat skills.

The writing is a bit on the mediocre side, but it has it's moments. The gameplay is definitely a highlight, as it's basically Fallout but with a square grid. No targeting though, as far as I can tell. Item management, crafting it's all there and it's not half bad. The game needs a bit more polish, but I think it'll be decent to those interested in the setting.

Good for what it is/10.

Multi-headed Cow

2 hours in, and...I'm not that dissapointed actually. I created a crappy Scientist-Negotiator type character so I had to rely on the trucker mom to sledgehammer any zombies into submission. Too bad some looter thought she would look better with lead in her face. I'll probably start over with just negotiator and put some points into combat skills.

The writing is a bit on the mediocre side, but it has it's moments. The gameplay is definitely a highlight, as it's basically Fallout but with a square grid. No targeting though, as far as I can tell. Item management, crafting it's all there and it's not half bad. The game needs a bit more polish, but I think it'll be decent to those interested in the setting.

Good for what it is/10.
Yup, pretty much sums up my feelings too. The writing hasn't really done anything for me, but the combat and general gameplay is pretty alright.

Ran into a few more bugs but Elhoim was watching and said they were already fixed in the patch they pushed out. Since I was destroying my ass by playing a big chunk of game at once the patch hadn't hit yet for me.
One thing that may not have been a bug but was heartbreaking was the fact that the looters in the camp southwest of the school counted as neutrals. Took a HUGE morale penalty for killing them, gonna take me for fucking ever to get out of that hole. Hurts even more since the vet daughter was both killed and zombified earlier, so I was already in trouble morale-wise from that. Also not entirely sure how to apply goodies to people. Was trying to rub deodorant on the stewardess since she was freaking out from killing those looters but not entirely sure it was working.

Overall mostly happy I bought it. It's not really a glorious zombie apocalypse RPG and it's not really zombie-Xcom, but the slight combination of the two still makes for a pretty good time.

Oh, and one gameplay question for people. Anyone figured out how NPCs level up? Do they just automatically spend their points along pretedermined paths? I know the stewardess had her "THIS IS A CHOICE MOMENT, THE CONSEQUENCE IS WHAT KIND OF CHARACTER SHE BECOMES" bit so I sorta assumed that's how they worked. Also not entirely sure how you gain skillpoints to begin with. Probably should RTFM.

1B621B0E6CE777112CED2351D8E549C95799820A

Edit: Oh yeah. The vidiers are on Twitch too if anyone cares to see 'em.

http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc/b/595725191 First one, hour and twenty long, get ded first time and didn't save 'cause I forgot what the hell I was doing.

http://www.twitch.tv/m_hc/b/595797045 Second one, nearly five hours long, hit lots of people in the back of the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gozma

Arcane
Man it is really hard to write the setup stuff for a zombie apocalypse without it being stilted and boring as shit now.

I feel like them having the "main character gets knocked out, gets zombie apocalypse exposition in a boring bad conversation tree" was a really big setup for failure. I was like, "Just say it's a standard fucking zombie apocalypse in a splash screen if you aren't gonna have me play through it." Every time I'm like let me watch an LPer's intro for Dead State to try to excite myself to buy it that bad exposition tumor is there

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, it's out now ;)
version before the patch (no idea if either one fixed, haven't patched yet):
house of the surviving neighbor in dead end has a lootable trash pile in the toilet behind the stairs, 'cept neither the toilet nor the pile can actually be reached.
downtown splendid has a lootable newsstand in front of the laundry that doesn't show loot icon.

Astral Rag

Arcane
This is what happens when I try to launch the game:
c1xsco6.jpg

untitled-2xmumo.jpg

I have an i7 with 560ti.

I have to kill Torque 3D in task manager to make the gray screen go away. The early alpha version I tried some time ago ran just fine.

edit: fixed it by editing $pref::Video::mode line in pref.cs file. It seems DS automagically used settings from uninstalled alpha version, I no longer use a 1920x1200 monitor...

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Just a quick suggestion: reading the manual helped me better understand the shelter goals list but I'd love if it actually said reoccurring goals and one-time goals over the goals lists, to better differentiate them. Before I read the manual I was wondering how the goals get added to the list, and which ones would be reoccurring.

Also, it would be super nice if it actually said WHERE you got the one-time goals, for example when hovering your mouse over a goal it could say "davis told me to repair the fence" or "I should find 100 pounds of fresh food to show everyone that it's still possible to procure it in large quantities."

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
So far I've only encountered one game breaking bug, all the portraits are of hipsters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still in the Top 10 of sales, nice. I was afraid it would drop like a rock.

kain30

Cipher
Still in the Top 10 of sales, nice. I was afraid it would drop like a rock.

zombie genre lovers will buy this game, no matter what. i´ve tell to 5 friends about this game, they saw me playing it (via steam broadcasting) and they buyed it :)

Johannes

Arcane
So, this shit is out and a lot of you have been playing the early access even. How is it?

Story? Strategy mechanics? Combat? Incloosivity? Does it beat DA:I on any metric?

(inb4 merge into megathread, but this is about the RELEASED version of the game without the gazillion posts of old clutter)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Signs don't face that way on that side of the street. That's as bad as skyscrapers in Rome.

This massive list of known issues is proof that they did in fact run out of money, as anticipated. So much for "we'll only release it when it won't give us a reputation as yet another buggy RPG studio." Reality always getting in the way.

A couple of Yixers seem to be enjoying it despite the bugs, some claiming it's better'n Wasteland 2. They don't like how taking leadership and negotiation feels mandatory. I wouldn't know for certain of course.

Johannes

Arcane
Infinitron likes megathreads because then he's the only one who knows wtf is going on. Controlling the flow of information is high on his agenda

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom