Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State: Reanimated

sgm

Educated
Don't know what you guys mean....on the Reviews tab change the drop down to Most Helpful (All Time) and you can see the negative reviews.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You're right. It looks like Steam is simply hiding them -- previously they were the first reviews listed, as they ought to be given their upvote percentage and number of reviews. The effect is much the same, but it's less bad.

[EDIT: As determined later in the thread, this appears to have happened simply because the negative reviews were more than a month old and got moved off the front page as a result, i.e., no foul play of any kind. Leaving original posts intact for context.]

Last edited:

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah the reviews weren't purged. The most helpful tab on the store page defaults to Most Helpful(Month) I believe, so once the up votes cycle exceed the 1-month mark they don't show through the filter. The ratings were never below 75% either. If I remember correctly it was 81% during EA and has steadily declined to 75%.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Huh; that's not how it works on Primordia's page (it defaults to most helpful always), but that does seem to be the case here. My apologies to Double Bear for drawing an incorrect conclusion, and congratulations to them for getting to start on a fresh slate of reviews!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wow, I don't remember getting artifacts in a game due to GPU overheating since...
Hm, since never.

Multi-headed Cow

That is weird. I don't think I've seen Steam reviews do that before. When you click full reviews it brings up "Most helpful (All time)" but on the store page it is indeed showing most helpful for the month. And like MRY mentioned it's not like that on Primordia's page, but when I looked up another game that has been out a while and is still getting steady reviews (Kerbal Space) it defaults to month. Must depend on the number of reviews, Dead State and and KSP are still getting reviews at a steady enough clip it shows monthly, but presumably when the reviews slow down it'll go to all time like Primordia.

Never noticed it did that before.

That is weird. I don't think I've seen Steam reviews do that before. When you click full reviews it brings up "Most helpful (All time)" but on the store page it is indeed showing most helpful for the month. And like MRY mentioned it's not like that on Primordia's page, but when I looked up another game that has been out a while and is still getting steady reviews (Kerbal Space) it defaults to month. Must depend on the number of reviews, Dead State and and KSP are still getting reviews at a steady enough clip it shows monthly, but presumably when the reviews slow down it'll go to all time like Primordia.

Never noticed it did that before.
Monthly can make sense, especially as games get patched after release (or maybe mods fix it). Doesn't strike me as nefarious.

Multi-headed Cow

Been chewing on this a bit more the past few days since I really should finish the bastard after getting 40ish hours in. One thing I noticed that I somehow missed before (No idea how I did, thought I checked it but maybe I did it before fixing the car) but you can upgrade the car. Faster movement, bigger gas tank, and better mileage. That might (MIGHT) make it better than the horses but I dunno. Horses only cost some food every day, car burns up a lot of heavy gas, breaks down, and the upgrades are fairly time consuming (Mechanic requirements to work on shit and unlike with construction jobs there doesn't appear to be a "One person who knows what they're doing lets newbies work on it with lower skill requirements" bonus) and eat up a goodly amount of parts. Still, nice that it's there.

Also found a kickass electro-baton. Low AP requirements for the damage (30-50ish, 3AP a swing) and it's one handed. Tempted to swap Getz from unique cricket bat to riot shield and baton, with the riot shield and his advanced body armor and helmet he might be more viable against ranged dudes. Even so I probably should dump him for... uh... Another shootman if I'm heading in to an area I know I'm gonna be under fire. Guess I could put the baton and shield on Shepard since I've got 0 ranged weapon skill.

And here's a picture of a big pile of zombies that I don't think I even took damage from even though I just ran right into them. They really need some better swarm mechanic because with the armor I've got on (Mostly military armor, haven't made the super zombie apocalypse armor) even getting pulled down and having multiple zombies doing chew attacks can't get through barring a crit. Which might be tolerable if they wanted to go that way, but it sucks when you're trying to loot 2-3 areas per game day and each one gets slowed down by waiting to beat zombies up.

CB0A3112683ECB43915269A01E8AF7B2B9250354

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been chewing on this a bit more the past few days since I really should finish the bastard after getting 40ish hours in. One thing I noticed that I somehow missed before (No idea how I did, thought I checked it but maybe I did it before fixing the car) but you can upgrade the car. Faster movement, bigger gas tank, and better mileage. That might (MIGHT) make it better than the horses but I dunno.
Unless you are running low on fuel or you've already scavenged everything, the car rules. Get that shit fixed up and fill the trunk with a ton of scavenged fuel every day. Pays for itself.

Multi-headed Cow

Been chewing on this a bit more the past few days since I really should finish the bastard after getting 40ish hours in. One thing I noticed that I somehow missed before (No idea how I did, thought I checked it but maybe I did it before fixing the car) but you can upgrade the car. Faster movement, bigger gas tank, and better mileage. That might (MIGHT) make it better than the horses but I dunno.
Unless you are running low on fuel or you've already scavenged everything, the car rules. Get that shit fixed up and fill the trunk with a ton of scavenged fuel every day. Pays for itself.
Not really running low on fuel, IIRC I've got 130 gallons stashed. Just seemed like it wasn't really faster than the horses and went through fuel at a noticeable rate, and the trunk kinda annoyed me since it isn't as easy to empty as a character's inventory. I am putting the upgrades on though, I'll give it a whirl again when it's souped up.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The trunk is definitely more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be, but I love an extra 200# carry weight. YMMV.

My tips:
* Do all the fuel efficiency upgrades ASAP of course.
* Put food & luxuries into the trunk before weapons & armor; they will automatically be stocked to the supply cache when you get home.
* You can access the trunk from anywhere in the shelter - stand right next to the supply shelf, drag stuff from trunk to PC until he's full, dump from PC to supply, repeat. Clumsy but not that bad.

My threshold for worrying about fuel was 100 gallons. If I got below that, I started thinking about horses. You can definitely run out of fuel if you're driving when there's no reason to. But generally I love the car.

SniperHF

Arcane
I just use the trunk to carry heavy armor and situational weapons.

Once you are at the point of having an upgraded car you don't need the capacity for carrying food and such anyway. You are practically drowning in it. Too annoying to take food and luxury items from each character and place them all in the trunk. Especially wnen you don't need it.

Multi-headed Cow

Is this polished enough for a full playthrough?
Yeah, not really much in the way of big bugs or anything now. Still some wonkiness but nothing game ruining. Biggest issues are just balance and general gameplay issues like my whining about the zombies up there, but that may be beyond the scope of what they'll fix in future patches anyway. Worth playing now if you're interested.

imweasel

Is this polished enough for a full playthrough?
Gameplay is still a bit wonky, but the game is very playable. The most annoying thing about the game is probably the pathfinding, the "claustrophobic" design of some buildings and the the UI (especially the job UI). The game also desperatly needs a map note system too IMO... but other than I don't have too many complaints.

It is a fun game with decent combat, but it kind of becomes a snoozefest after a while because there is not much more to do other than to scavenge and find or help allies. I'd recommend to only scavenge for food and supplies when you are running low and to end the day as fast as possible to prevent boredom. And uncover the map as quick as possible to find allies before they die.

My tips:
* Do all the fuel efficiency upgrades ASAP of course.
* Put food & luxuries into the trunk before weapons & armor; they will automatically be stocked to the supply cache when you get home.
* You can access the trunk from anywhere in the shelter - stand right next to the supply shelf, drag stuff from trunk to PC until he's full, dump from PC to supply, repeat. Clumsy but not that bad.
My pro tip:
Always use the horses instead of the car, because you can access the car's trunk even if you left it at your base. :obviously:

(This still worked in the previous build, no idea if it has been fixed yet.)

sgm

Educated
One thing that needs fixing is the lack of infection. Not one character got infected by a bite or scratch in combat during my whole playthrough, even though they took damage. At the very least a bite should be an automatic infection. The only infected person I had was a survivor I found. I also had way too many pills (150+) by the end. Running low on pills and having people turn on each other would have been an awesome crisis event to have to deal with. Try negotiating your way out of that.

cw8

Cipher
I actually finished it 2 weeks back. I think I actually explored and scavenged most if not all the locations on the map, I did a recon journey around the map for a few days and didn't discover any new locations. Also finished the 150 data entries. MC maxed out melee, ranged combat and speech skills and wielding a Katana and sniper rifle. Everyone else who were good at fighting either had a named melee weapon or a sniper rifle, laser MS4, upgraded AK47 or combat shotgun. Best guns I feel are the sniper rifle and combat shotgun. Combat Shotgun's a freaking beast at 4AP a shot and it's good up to medium range.

About the ending. Not sure if you folks got the same one as me, there's supposed to be multiple endings. Even when you progress through the game, the game hints at multiple endings:

The ending I got some nuclear engineer dude came to my base and told me about a meltdown. Made the school bus work again and left the base. Had a good final battle at the border with my party gradually winning and I told them to get on the bus and leave without me. Ending says I'm still alive.

There this hotel at Austin Outskirts which is pretty monstrous. Multiple levels of fully armoured mercs to mow through. Shld've been pretty epic but marred by bugs, especially the stairway bug where you can't proceed up the stairs unless you move your party members one by one. On one level the combat starts right when you arrive and your entire team is stuck at the stairway except for the one closest to the door. Once you reach the top you fight the named mobs and see a helicopter. Thought that'll be the one of the different endings but I don't see how to activate the helicopter.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/626329186844750333/?insideModal=1
Says that there's a quest for the helicopter. Also the reply says that there's a cure quest. I'd definitely reload a save for the cure quest but I'm not sure how to get it. I have a couple or 3 scientists in my base so I don't see how that's a problem.

Multi-headed Cow

One thing that needs fixing is the lack of infection. Not one character got infected by a bite or scratch in combat during my whole playthrough, even though they took damage. At the very least a bite should be an automatic infection. The only infected person I had was a survivor I found. I also had way too many pills (150+) by the end. Running low on pills and having people turn on each other would have been an awesome crisis event to have to deal with. Try negotiating your way out of that.
Yeah, that would help too. Maybe not EVERY bite (If you're wearing good armor) but there isn't much threat of getting infected with zombie-itus. The only time I had a dude get infected was when I got ambushed by soldiers and had a big shootout, which then attracted some zamblies. Dude was shot up really bad and already in a bad way and then a zombie chomped him. Still not much of an issue (Currently at 100ish pills with 2 infected people in the safehouse) but if the zombies were more infectious that'd make fighting them a riskier proposition and make antibiotics much more valuable.

Zombra

Patron
http://steamcommunity.com/app/239840/discussions/0/626329186844750333/?insideModal=1
Says that there's a cure quest. I'd definitely reload a save for the cure quest but I'm not sure how to get it. I have a couple or 3 scientists in my base so I don't see how that's a problem.

I met two different characters who actually talked about making a cure. One of them just kind of mentions it and the conversation goes nowhere, but the other gives very specific instructions on resources to be gathered. Sadly, I researched it on the official DS board and it turns out the rest of this ending has not been scripted yet. :( So for now there is no cure mission available in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom