Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadfire dialogue check analysis

Is there such a thing as too many dialogue checks?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

pomenitul

Arbiter
Fun fact. The Norwegian artist Theodor Kittelsen, best known for his depictions of Scandinavian trolls, drew this thread back in 1883:

150216-troll-by-theodor-kittelsen.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
One thing I agree with Sherry about is that turning off dialog check requirements does make conversations flow more naturally. Sometimes, if they're turned on, I'll get the urge to pick a dialog choice only for power-gaming (or that I think will get me loot), whereas when they're off I will pick the dialog that I think my character would pick.

Tenebris

Scholar
Interestingly someone on the Obsidian forums pointed out that some of the checks aren't even available to the player. There's apparently one for the Steel Garrote subclass. Makes me wonder how much more there are that's inaccessible.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
poe has 300 spells? seriously? then why does everyone only use Slicken?

SICK BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Interestingly someone on the Obsidian forums pointed out that some of the checks aren't even available to the player. There's apparently one for the Steel Garrote subclass. Makes me wonder how much more there are that's inaccessible.

I noticed that as well. There are mods that add in the Steel Garrote subclass.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Those screenshots look actually pretty damn cool.
As if their artists delivered a coherent, working concept of a place. 20 years later, that's still pulling teeth and almost impossibru.:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Codex figured out many years ago that they don't care about narrative reactivity/"cosmetic C&C" if they don't care about the narrative itself.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you'd think that'd be obvious, wouldn't you? but for some it isn't.

C&C has little to do with whether or not the game itself is actually good.

EDIT: Although this thread isn't even about "c&c", it's about dialog checks. There can be overlap between these things but they are not interchangeable terminology.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
C&C is a great selling point for any RPG. It's not the only important factor, but it's still important.

When it comes to skill checks, reactivity, and reputation systems Obsidian is as strong as they ever were.

Developer
Are there metrics for how many responses modify alignment in PST? I was always curious.

The quantity argument is a long one, except I've never considered it a valid metric for a game's quality, esp. word count.

oscar

Arcane
The PoE setting is so boring the graphics don't mean all that much.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Obsidian blew most of their budget on dialogue trees and voiceacting, when I think they would of been better off creating more explorable locations and dungeons.

Most people either wont realize the effort they put into the dialogue complexity, or wont care.

Last edited:
Developer
Obsidian blew most of their budget on dialogue trees and voiceacting, when I think they would of been better off creating more locations and dungeons.

Most people either wont realize how much effort they put into the dialogue complexity, or wont care.

I think players have asked for more deep dungeon content (if meaningful - Caed Nua in PoE1 I would describe as non-meaningful but I don't think the designers were asked to treat it any other way or didn't have the time to do so - regardless, don't blame the designers).

I believe that Adler's dastardly plan for the 3rd PoE2 DLC is to provide such a dungeon (similar to Durlag's Tower) - the dastardly plan, you know, where you give players what they like. Brandon Adler, you fool - how dare you.

If people don't react to dialogue checks in a meaningful way, sure... but if it's like the Master at the end of Fallout 1, you've done it right, and it's not a lot of work to make you realize how much your skill mattered. The impact of a dialogue choice is how you design it.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
The fact that I can play as an Aumaua from the Deadfire Archipelago and get 269 unique dialogues throughout the game is cool as hell. Meaningfulness be damned.

Compare that to a game like Skyrim, where your race gets brought up maybe 5-10 times throughout the entire game. Even if no one else appreciates it, I do.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Sometimes quantity > quality

While not every case of reactivity is meaningful by itself, the fact that every NPC reacts to something specific about your character is meaningful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom