Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quillon

Arcane
Vice City.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
Kuldahar, although it's more a village than a city.

I wonder who will be next prospernaut now that I am free.

One night I dreamt that somebody got prosperized but I don't remember who.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
  • 7 districts with their own unique theme, style, music, and lore
  • 50 accessible interiors
  • 200 interactive voiced NPCs (many with schedules)
  • 5 connected dungeons with 4 optional bosses
  • 4 joinable factions with their own base of operations
  • Over a dozen sidequests with multiple paths and resolutions
  • Full day & night cycle with time based events
  • Two dozen random events as you travel throughout the city
It's poll, right?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Avellone is the official RPGCodex husbandfu
This is the biggest suprise of this thread. What's a "husbandfu?" Husband Kung-fu? Never heard of this neologism used to describe Avellone. Heck, I never even heard this word anywhere else.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Zero random events as you travel through the city because they're bugged and don't happen and the developer doesn't know why :D

are they still bugged? i remember not getting any when i played back when it was first released and figured they'd have it fixed by the time forgotten sanctum was released

In my first play through I didn't get any, and in my second play through I get them just fine. And now in my recent third playthrough it disappears again.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Btw what's wrong with that? maybe it's not the best ever, but Deadfire main city is a pretty good one.

The codex still feels violated by Obsidian, and are determined to hate this game no matter how good it is.

A decade from now when Obsidian is gone and CRPGs are in decline again, the Codex will do a 180 and claim it was a masterpiece.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most impressive city, though? Nah.

Then what is?
Even Athkatla is better by way of having way more interesting encounters.
I also remember really liking the cities in KotOR, but it's been so long I don't remember the details.
L.A from Bloodlines is certainly one amazing thing.
Honestly, there are so many RPGs with well-made cities (even more if you also take action-RPGs into the mix), I find it hard to pick the very best one.

Neketaka is big, and it does look gorgeous in some places, but the rest of the game holds it back quite a bit.
You can't really judge a city independent from its game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Athkatla is shit. Boring quest design, shallow factions, and everything looks brown and ugly. No reason to interact with anything outside quests.
KOTOR cities are visually interesting, but there's nothing to do in them except one or two fetch quests.
L.A in Bloodlines is good, but it's too linear and gated. If it was fully open, then maybe.

Cities you could make a good argument for are New Vegas, New Reno, Tarant, Khorinis, Harbor Town, and The Imperial City (heresy, I know). Neketaka dwarfs them all in size though.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So is this game any good

It is, as long as you're open minded and don't insist on an IE clone / DnD ruleset.
Oh and the story resolution leaves a bit sour taste.

People complain about the writing, but honestly, while not inspired, its functional IMO. I've enjoyed many games with much more bare-bones writing and its not critical for my enjoyment.

World is pretty large, exploration pretty awesome and rewarding, character development very rich in options (multiclassing added a lot of options and combos - while somewhat diluting the class identity), spells and abilities feel properly impactful and offer crazy synergies, best itemization ever, mechanics well thought out and executed (maybe except ship combat). Variable speed from PoE works much better in real time format then IE static "rounds". Oh and graphics are awesome.

Shame about the loss of the strategic layer with unlimited resting, no endurance mechanic and per encounter abilities, but its still a great game.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Seems like i am the only one who preferred PoE classic setting over Pirates and Nigga tribes.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked some aspects of PoE1 more, but consider PoE2 the overall superior package.
Personally I'm not a fan of pirates either, but exploration was really executed well in Deadfire.
Its like what Storm of Zehir could/should have been - had it a much bigger budget, more time and a better engine. It does feel like SoZ sometimes - only 10 times better.

V_K

Arcane
My only problem with Deadfire is that I couldn't care less about the combat. Which is ok, there aren't (that m)any games where I do care about it. But the problem is 80% of character development and 100% of spells are only relevant for combat.

Mazisky

Magister
I liked some aspects of PoE1 more, but consider PoE2 the overall superior package.
Personally I'm not a fan of pirates either, but exploration was really executed well in Deadfire.
Its like what Storm of Zehir could/should have been - had it a much bigger budget, more time and a better engine. It does feel like SoZ sometimes - only 10 times better.

Ofc Deadfire is better than Poe in almost every aspect, but i still prefere the fantasy forests, castles, and Poe1 grim enviroments over sunny summer Deadfire. Same reason that made me like BG1 more than 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom