Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mazisky

Magister
Neketaka has hundreds of NPCs, 60 different areas, a functioning day & night cycle, several joinable factions, and dozens of random events. There's nothing else that impressive in the CRPG genre.

Wasn't those also in Baldur's gate 1 and 2, Witcher series, Elder Scrolls series and many other Rpgs?

Btw the only cheap retard jews that didn't make Day\night cycle in history of gaming are Larian. All others (non cheap) rpgs have it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Athkatla doesn't have NPC schedules, random events, or a complex faction system.

Novigrad is entirely scripted and void of activity. You can't steal, attack guards, or do anything other than complete quests. Even Ubisoft games have more interactivity.

The only city in The Elder Scrolls with the scope of Neketaka is The Imperial City in Oblivion. It has 7 districts, 200 NPCs with schedules, and multiple joinable factions.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Athkatla doesn't have NPC schedules, random events, or a complex faction system.

Novigrad is entirely scripted. You can't steal from people, attack guards, or do anything other than complete sidequests. Even Ubisoft games have more interactivity.

The only city in The Elder Scrolls that's the scope of Neketaka is The Imperial City in Oblivion. It has 7 districts, 200 NPCs with schedules, and multiple joinable factions. I still give Neketaka the edge though for creativity and random events.

I remember Baldur's gate 1 shops closing at night and also different people walking around on night. Am i wrong?

You can attack guards in Novigrad, also the city is massive and full of npc with schedules

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Baldurs Gate had a day & night cycle, but it didn't have NPC schedules. In Deadfire, you have NPCs which move locations and change their behavior depending on the hour of day.

I thought you couldn't attack friendly NPCs in The Witcher 3, but I could be mistaken. I know for a fact that the NPCs are procedurally generated, and disappear when far enough off camera.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure Athkatla is bigger and has more content. The factions in DF are set dressing, mechanically and narratively the same as PoE1's factions, but with more quests. They don't clash or have relationships with each other, the only function they serve is giving you a dubious choice between which one's last quests you want to do. Kind of like Oblivion and Skyrim's factions really, but with the caveat you can't complete all of their quests in a single playthrough. All this amounts to Squandered Potential: The Game.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I'm pretty sure Athkatla is bigger and has more content.

Statistically that's false.

The factions in DF are set dressing, mechanically and narratively the same as PoE1's factions, but with more quests.

Untrue. There are 350+ reputation checks throughout the game, which can unlock extra dialog options, quest rewards, and even a merchant.

Factions aren't as important as in New Vegas, but to compare them with the first game and Skyrim is being dishonest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are reputation checks in PoE1 as well, allowing you to bypass certain things or get stuff for free. And extra fluff dialogue too, but that's inconsequential. Get out those statistics for Athkatla to see whose is bigger. Keep in mind that fewer districts doesn't mean it's smaller, the districts are much bigger in Athkatla.

Sentinel

Arcane
Any quest in Novigrad completely crushes anything in Deadfire. Not to mention that events in the city progress with the story.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
There are reputation checks in PoE1 as well, allowing you to bypass certain things or get stuff for free

There's only 20 something. Compared to 350.

Get out those statistics for Athkatla to see whose is bigger. Keep in mind that fewer districts doesn't mean it's smaller

Athkatla Random Events: 1 (and it repeats itself over and over)
Neketaka Random Events: 20+

Athkatla factions with reputation: 0
Neketaka factions with reputation: 7

Athkatla NPCs with schedules: 0
Neketaka NPCs with schedules: > 40

You also wont find any sidequests in Athkatla with the complexity of Arkemyrs Manor or Family Pride.

the districts are much bigger in Athkatla.

No, they're not. I replayed Baldurs Gate 2 right after Deadfire, and they only feel bigger because you can't run, fast travel, or speed up time.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You've created this really weird and arbitrary criteria and based on it infer Neketaka is "bigger and better". NPCs with schedules, random events and the factions in DF are little more than gimmicks, the meat (quests and areas) are what count. How exactly did you compare the districts between the two games? Did you also compare the interiors?

Incendax

Augur
Neketaka has hundreds of NPCs, 60 different areas, a functioning day & night cycle, several joinable factions, and dozens of random events. No other city comes close to that level of scope and intricacy.
Beauclaire has hundreds of NPCs, a functioning day & night cycle with better weather, more interesting factions, dozens of random events, complex parkour routes, more gorgeous skyboxes, and way less loading screens.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
did they ever improve pick-pocketing in deadfire? did they add a godly challenge/blessing that added in new/more items to the pockets of npcs?

2house2fly

Magister
I remember right after getting to the city in Witcher 3 I was introduced to multiple rival criminal factions and thought "ah ok, so I'm going to decide which of these ends up controlling the underbelly" but then nothing like that ended up happening. It was also disappointing that, outside of cutscenes, the fabled choices and consequences amounted to your dwarf friend not helping you in a quest if you evacuated the mages earlier.

Anyway, depending on your criteria New Reno was very impressive- multiple factions to side with and quests with interesting options, as well as side activities that can result in alternate endings, ties to the larger setting via connections with the Enclave etc and even post-game reactivity

RapineDel

Augur
Great cities in RPGs in my opinion:
- Baldur's Gate (Baldurs's Gate)
- Athkatla (Baldur's Gate 2)
- Sigil (Planescape Torment)
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- New Reno (Fallout 2 and Fallout of Nevada)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)
- Betancuria (A Dance with Rogues Part 1)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Defiance Bay (Pillars of Eternity)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Midgar (Final Fantasy 7)
- Berlin (Shadowrun: Dragonfall)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)
- Neverwinter (Neverwinter NIghts 2)

Still have to play PoE2. I doubt it can beat the greatest urbanistic pearls of RPGs, but I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Not sure how anyone could rate Novigrad over Khorinis.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Defiance Bay was shit. Literally. Barely any connections crossing back and forth between people and events.

Ok, Athkatla wasn't that great in this regard either. But at least it had tons (of different) stuff that made it feel alive.

Yosharian

Arcane
Who cares if the city is impressive or not? This is a CRPG, not fucking Sim City. What matters are the events, narratives and characters that occur or exist in a place, not how technically impressive it is.

Quillon

Arcane
Neketaka has hundreds of NPCs, 60 different areas, a functioning day & night cycle, several joinable factions, and dozens of random events. No other city comes close to that level of scope and intricacy.

I don't know man, Los Santos was pretty neat.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Great cities in RPGs in my opinion:
- Baldur's Gate (Baldurs's Gate)
- Athkatla (Baldur's Gate 2)
- Sigil (Planescape Torment)
- Tarant (Arcanum)
- New Reno (Fallout 2 and Fallout of Nevada)
- Wyzima (Witcher 1)
- Novigrad (Witcher 3)
- Betancuria (A Dance with Rogues Part 1)

Good cities in RPGs:
- Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall)
- Vault City (Fallout 2)
- Khorinis (Gothic 2)
- Defiance Bay (Pillars of Eternity)
- Domed City (Elex)
- Midgar (Final Fantasy 7)
- Berlin (Shadowrun: Dragonfall)
- Dernholm (Arcanum)
- Neverwinter (Neverwinter NIghts 2)

Still have to play PoE2. I doubt it can beat the greatest urbanistic pearls of RPGs, but I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Not sure how anyone could rate Novigrad over Khorinis.

Rather easily I guess. To me Khorinis is simply not that impressive. But I suppose it is a mixture of quality, depth and personnal preference. While I enjoyed Gothic 2 (+NOTR) immensly when I played it for the first time in 2018, I am not a fanboy of the franchise.

RapineDel

Augur

Rather easily I guess. To me Khorinis is simply not that impressive. But I suppose it is a mixture of quality, depth and personnal preference. While I enjoyed Gothic 2 (+NOTR) immensly when I played it for the first time in 2018, I am not a fanboy of the franchise.

I felt that way about Novigrad. As usual with modern gaming it was all style and no substance. It's essentially an MMO town with only quests, games of gwent and a few random shops you never use whilst being huge and visually stunning. Khorinis may not be as big but it's full of mystery (Thieves, several quests that force you to explore the town to figure things out), memorable characters who all serve a purpose or have something unique to say and it absolutely nails the poor, middle class, rich areas.

I don't dislike Witcher 3 as a whole but I can barely even remember the cities or towns as they all felt copy and pasted design wise despite I guess some high quality talent in the art departments. Cities like Tarant, Khorinis and Sigil are the sort that are so memorable I can pinpoint where everything is in my head without evening playing.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
latest

No bullshit, no fillers. Everything is there for a purpose. Imaginative interior artwork.

Doktor Best

Arcane
People should stop hating other people for having different opinions.

Of course any retard who does not believe Deadfire is GOTY is an imbecile.

Seriously stop claiming Athkatla was any good, i am getting triggered

Okay

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
People played BG2 30 years ago and their memory deceives them...

Athkatla is more or less similar to Defiance Bay... It was a shitty city... It wasn't even an improvement from Baldur's Gate. Why people keep mentioning that place is beyond me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom