Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadfire Review (spoilers!)

Reapa

Doom Preacher
After PoE i didn't expect much and i must say they managed not to disappoint me since i also didn't get much.

As expected much of it stands on the shoulders of its predecessor. A huge part of the game you only walk in one direction and get to hear quotes from PoE. As a consequence a huge part of the game is very linear and quite unreplayable.

Another thing that bugged me was the emphasis on voice overs and descriptive writing in combination with voice overs. That must have cost a lot of money and development time and is probably the reason why the game ended up being so short. The length though is not that problematic since it's not a very good game anyway so it's good that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

It's weird though that it chose to get rid of combat all together and focus only on dialogues. It reminds me of Numenera, but that one at least had some combat. This design decision of course simplifies the game a lot, making itemization and character development obsolete and thus hard to criticize.

That pretty much leaves us only with graphics, sound and writing to write about. But since i'm not retarded, i don't spend my time listening to game music when there's real music out there, so i just mute it and you're gonna have to look up videos of it on youtube if game music interests you much. i won't comment on it.

The game does have graphics, though I'm not sure what for. It's all just a bunch of descriptive purple prose anyway with a few lines of bla bla bla in between. The story can be summed up in one or two lines: You walk a purple line , meet a dwarf you can't talk to who opens a door to some gipsy fortune teller whom you tell to screw herself and then the credits start rolling.

Maybe it has some artistic value, but as a game i find it a bit uninteractive. I give it a 3/5.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
That's a review of the introduction, not the game. 3/5 is too generous, I rate it 0/5.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The story can be summed up in one or two lines: You walk a purple line , meet a dwarf you can't talk to who opens a door to some gipsy fortune teller whom you tell to screw herself and then the credits start rolling.

rOTjozt.jpg

Good one, Sir.

In other news, too many dumbfucks around here with no sense of humour.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Deadfire has no combat? Huh?
Let me translate for idiots: Combat is so easy it might as well have no combat.
Why didn't you just say that in your shit review to begin with, fucknugget?

No, he’s reviewing the first five minutes of the game. In the first conversation you have the option to end the game if you tell Berath, the “gypsy fortune teller” to fuck off. You die, the game ends—it’s the ultimate pacificist playthrough.

ArchAngel

Arcane

No, he’s reviewing the first five minutes of the game. In the first conversation you have the option to end the game if you tell Berath, the “gypsy fortune teller” to fuck off. You die, the game ends—it’s the ultimate pacificist playthrough.
Oh, I guess I got it wrong as well :D
Didn't know about this part of the game. Is that where you don't want to work for Gods? So game does not offer an option to fuck over Gods considering what you found out at end of PoE 1?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Oh, I guess I got it wrong as well :D
Didn't know about this part of the game. Is that where you don't want to work for Gods? So game does not offer an option to fuck over Gods considering what you found out at end of PoE 1?

I mean, you’re dead at the beginning so you either agree and come back to life or you stay dead. Maybe you can fuck them over at the end, but I’m only halfway through.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This review from steam is also in same vein:

Finished pillars of eternity 1 as a priest of berath, pledging my soul to the god of cycles, life and death. Promising to release the thousands of captured souls back to the wheel of reincarnation at the end of the game.

Started pillars of eternity 2, only to find out I was murdered after the events of the first game by a god who was believed to have been slain during the saints war.

My soul then comes face to face with the god I have devoted my life to, the god of life, death, and reincarnation.

After a brief discussion about how I kept my promise at the end of the first game, my favoured god revealed to me he wants me to come back to life and serve him once again, and slay the being that killed me.

I refused. It is only right that my soul is allowed to be reborn and return to the cycle, as I have worshipped this diety my whole life.

My god agreed. I was reborn as a wolf and the credits of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire started to roll.

Pretty short game but 10/10

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It seems they spent so much budget on hiring a voice actress for the descriptive lines of text that they didn't have anything left to add proper content, which is why the game has a playtime of 10 minutes.

Strange decision, but maybe it helps sell the game among the console players once the console port comes out.

But it's funny to play a game that takes longer to install, and longer to load its one and only level, than it takes to play through it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom