Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Latro

Arcane
is Kojima actually a video game director or a super model? he seems to spend most of his time taking profile pictures.

Latro

Arcane
game designer
Good thing he hasn't actually designed games in a long time, then. Pretty much everything has been done by other people in Kojima Productions.

I dont know what he does or doesnt do, every game under his name being great is enough for me to call him good game designer or director, whatever you call it
I think Kojima has basically been a sort of japanese Josh Sawyer, only with better artistic sense and a certain amount of business skills. I really admire Kojima's stuff, but it's easy to just look at the guy and think "what exactly does this guy do?".

Both developer
But, what? Can he 3d model? Does he do level design? Does he write dialogue? Do art and art concepts for the characters? Could he produce a game on his own? Let's look at Chris Avellone, Avellone can write, he can design levels, and has experience with RPG quest design, which can be considered an actual and quantifiable skill, could Kojima do any of these?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
game designer
Good thing he hasn't actually designed games in a long time, then. Pretty much everything has been done by other people in Kojima Productions.

I dont know what he does or doesnt do, every game under his name being great is enough for me to call him good game designer or director, whatever you call it
I think Kojima has basically been a sort of japanese Josh Sawyer, only with better artistic sense and a certain amount of business skills. I really admire Kojima's stuff, but it's easy to just look at the guy and think "what exactly does this guy do?".

Let's look at Chris Avellone, Avellone can write, he can design levels, and has experience with RPG quest design, which can be considered an actual and quantifiable skill, could Kojima do any of these?
Yes, Kojima can do them.

Kojima credits on MGS:
Original game design,
writing,
setting design,
conceptual map design,
block model map assembly,
2D map design
items/enemy routine setting,
camera setting,
script director,
scene direction,
cg editing,
digital effects.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
is Kojima actually a video game director or a super model? he seems to spend most of his time taking profile pictures.

C'est un artiste. +M

Let's look at Chris Avellone, Avellone can write, he can design levels, and has experience with RPG quest design, which can be considered an actual and quantifiable skill, could Kojima do any of these?
Yes, Kojima can do them.

Kojima credits on MGS:
Original game design,
writing,
setting design,
conceptual map design,
2D map design
camera setting,
script director,
scene direction,
cg editing,
digital effects.

Doesn't mean he actually had any positive contribution in those departments. Everyone knows he likes to put his name on things.
Also there's a difference between doing and doing well...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

C'est un artiste. +M

Yes, Kojima can do them.

Kojima credits on MGS:
Original game design,
writing,
setting design,
conceptual map design,
2D map design
camera setting,
script director,
scene direction,
cg editing,
digital effects.

Doesn't mean he actually had any positive contribution in those departments. Everyone knows he likes to put his name on things.
Basically you can brush aside any developer's contribution with this argument. If you were not in the team, you couldn't possibly know if his work was positive or negative. Great argument.

Also there's a difference between doing and doing well..
I'm sure the MGS franchise became one of the most recognized franchise in gaming because he did it wrong.

So just to reiterate again, yes he did a lot of gamedev work, despite what you are trying to say.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kojima needs restraint. I don't think the freedom and the insane amount of money Sony seems to have given him is gong to bode well for the game itself.

I think Sony sees Death Stranding as a PS5 emotional marketing point to core gamers. I have seen in another thread a posible leak that PS5 is going to be announced in a few months, and are games prepared for Q1/Q2 2020 release. Having a "legend" like Kojima under their sleeve should give them an early edge over more popamolish and generic microsoft lineup.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm sure the MGS franchise became one of the most recognized franchise in gaming because he did it wrong.

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and many others are also one of the most recognized franchises in gaming...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and many others are also one of the most recognized franchises in gaming...
And all had great games in their respective series, which propelled them to that status. (With the exception of Ass Creed.)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IVE DONE LOVED SOME POPAMOLE IN MY DAY

I CANT TILERATE THE METAL GEAR CUTSCENES I PLAYED METAL GEAR SOLID BUT SHIT FUN STUFF AT TIMES BUT SHUT THE FUCK UP PEOPLEA

I MIGHT TRY FIVE CAUSE I GOTS IT ON STEAM AND FAGBOX

FUCK BROS THE NES ONE WAS COOL I PLAYED THAT AND I DIDNT LIKE IT BUT MY FRIEND WAS LIKE YOU ARE A FAG POPAMOLE AND I WAS LIKE LOLOLLOLOL YOUR RIGHT THAN I HAD FUN

LOLOLLOLOL BROS TURNS OUT THE FIRST METAL GEAR HAD GAMEPLEY AND SHIT AND YOU HAD TO GIVE THE STEALTH SHIT A CHANCE INSTEAD OF WAT HING SHIT MOVIEA

Solid Snail

Learned
Kojimbo will be at Tribeca Film Festival with Reedus to talk about Death Stranding, probably to say how astonishing the game is, showing Reedus' left foot in a two seconds trailer.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm pretty sure making a bunch of disconnected systems and then wondering how to put them together isn't how you make games.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Do you wanted Death just a little bit of stranding gameplay after 3 years ? You got Kojima's figurine, lucky guy.

10/10 GOTY confirmed

hqdefault.jpg

Solid Snail

Learned
In 5 hours there is Sony State of Play, probably Sony will state how Death Stranding isn't playable and that's it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm pretty sure making a bunch of disconnected systems and then wondering how to put them together isn't how you make games.

Isn’t that exactly how you make games?

I mean there are worse cases. Alpha Protocol was made out of disconnected corpses after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom