Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Wow, this looks really, really bad. Apparently Kojima went on from pretending he can write spy fiction to pretending he can write science fiction.

Kojima writing is always trying so hard I cringe every time

Terenty

Liturgist
Wow, this looks really, really bad. Apparently Kojima went on from pretending he can write spy fiction to pretending he can write science fiction.

He got better, I feel, when it came to Big Boss/Venom Snake related games - which is why I prefer them over MGS 1,2 and 4. One way or another, this is his one and only shot - if he fails, he'll prove Konami was right in dumping him.

Edit: I also pity him somewhat. Clearly he can't let go of the Metal Gear franchise. With every cutscene with Sam talking revealed, it gets more and more clear he's just another Snake.

I agree Sam looks and sounds more and more like another version of Snake, but, man, Kojima is in class of its own when it comes to cutscenes and presentation. Hands down the most interesting looking game on the horizon

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

He got better, I feel, when it came to Big Boss/Venom Snake related games - which is why I prefer them over MGS 1,2 and 4. One way or another, this is his one and only shot - if he fails, he'll prove Konami was right in dumping him.

Edit: I also pity him somewhat. Clearly he can't let go of the Metal Gear franchise. With every cutscene with Sam talking revealed, it gets more and more clear he's just another Snake.

I agree Sam looks and sounds more and more like another version of Snake, but, man, Kojima is in class of its own when it comes to cutscenes and presentation. Hands down the most interesting looking game on the horizon

it will be more of a interactive movie than a game

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Cut it out with this edgy bullshit. This wasn't true with MGS, and it probably won't be true here. Just because it has long cutscenes doesn't make it an interactive movie, because the gameplay is just as legit as in any other game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It looks pretty meh to me,no gameplay yet,so it will be shit. Also are we going to get forced playing that ugly inbreed actor from that stupid murican show???

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Cut it out with this edgy bullshit. This wasn't true with MGS, and it probably won't be true here. Just because it has long cutscenes doesn't make it an interactive movie, because the gameplay is just as legit as in any other game.

If you call delivery simulator a game, ok

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wouldn't be surprised, it's still cheaper than equivalent PC you would pay for roughly 2000$ compared to ps5

- 8 core 16 thread 3.2ghz cpu
- 16-24gb ram
- 16gb GPU on a level of gtx 2080
- ssd

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It won't be $999. If it is more expensive that 600 dollars, it is dead in the water. It doesn't matter whether the hardware worth that much or not, console casuals won't pay that money for a christmas gift.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think Kojima's narrative cheese is better when he goes full pulp like in MGS1,3 and some moments in other games. It is fun.

When he tries to take himself too seriously he is boring and ridiculous. It seems like this time he's going even further in megalomania with sci-fi "deep" characters and themes.

df46f14f51053c7fd8e3b75be5c430b0.png

Unwanted

†††

Patron
When he tries to take himself too seriously he is boring and ridiculous. It seems like this time he's going even further in megalomania with sci-fi "deep" characters and themes.
A consequence of his efforts trying to get into Hollywood.

Egosphere

Arcane

Clearly you haven't played MGS games

That is not a good counter argument. I looked it up on youtube, and MGS 1 'movie', ie. all cutscenes combined, comes out at 4 hours long

That does seem to have some gameplay dropped into it, but still, even if you take those bits out you'll be looking at 3 1/2 hours

Comparatively, Tomb Raider 3 comes out at 25 minutes; Soul Reaver comes out at 41 minutes ( there is an almost 2hr version, but has huge amounts of gameplay interspersed within ); the story driven Fear Effect comes out at 48 minutes.

MGS2 comes out at 5hr 21m. MGS3 at 4:20 and 4 at a whopping 7 hours and 41 minutes. They're in a league of their own.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

This is Kojima's swan song. Instead of going to the good part of his roots (MGS3, Peace Walker, Phantom Pain), he instead chooses what he is overhyped and overpraised for (MGS and MGS2). In other words, pretentiousness, mediocrity, and trying to be a movie maker.
Can you imagine the gall of the man? He claims he invented the stealth genre through MGS - a game that barely has any stealth mechanics.
So many lies there, I'm surprised the ceiling didn't fall onto your head.

Terenty

Liturgist

This is Kojima's swan song. Instead of going to the good part of his roots (MGS3, Peace Walker, Phantom Pain), he instead chooses what he is overhyped and overpraised for (MGS and MGS2). In other words, pretentiousness, mediocrity, and trying to be a movie maker.
Can you imagine the gall of the man? He claims he invented the stealth genre through MGS - a game that barely has any stealth mechanics.
So many lies there, I'm surprised the ceiling didn't fall onto your head.

I dont get why people feel the need to shit on something they clearly haven't played. Just makes them look retarded

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
We are not shitting, we are stating that what we know about the game doesn't look good, and that Kojima is corrupted by Pedowood.

I will be the first to be happy if the game is great. Not too many quality singleplayer AAA games, and I have great memories playing the saga and Kojima's games, even with their shortcomings.

Egosphere

Arcane
Although that isn't really a slight on mgs, since many composers plagiarized existing work in the 90s

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
But seriously that last point you made, that the fanboys also make is the most absurdly retarded one.
"Bowhaa the new cutscenes make the game's story stupid and unrealistic."

There's such a thing as too over the top. Mgs 1 wasn't too over the top, Twin Snakes was
Skip the cutscenes?

Or just play the version with better cutscenes, better music, better V.O., and gameplay that is properly balanced for the level design. And throw the shitty port/"remaster" in the garbage.

Let's see:
- Entire premise of the game relies on the fact that Kojima didn't understand the basics of genetics.
- Main character is stolen from a Carpenter movie.
- Levels are basically glorified corridors.
- Dialogues are so cringe they had to be saved in translation.
- Barely any actual stealth mechanics.
- Gameplay constantly interrupted by cutscenes and "talking heads" (Codex).
- Short as shit.
- Released in the same year as "Thief: The Dark Project", a superior product in every way (as a stealth game).

You may like, or love, MGS, but as a game it's one of the most over-hyped pieces of media of its generation.

I forgot one more point:
- Main theme was also plagiarised, this time from a Russian composer.

I don't even remember the theme playing at any point in the original MGS. I think it may have been in a trailer or something though. They didn't start shoving it down our throats until MGS2.

Egosphere

Arcane
I don't even remember the theme playing at any point in the original MGS. I think it may have been in a trailer or something though. They didn't start shoving it down our throats until MGS2.

I looked it up, and apparently it only plays in the very end instead of 'Best is yet to come' if you're on your 3rd playthrough

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
This little thing popped up: https://boards.4channel.org/v//thread/472851072/metal-gear-solid-5-demon-edition-gamescom-leak It's a few weeks away, so not long till we can verify it.

>A new re release of Phantom Pain is being announced at Gamescom by Konami. Some of the press was shown it on Friday.
>Intention behind the release is to win back Western audience after the backlash that Survive got.
>They got Fukushima to helm the project, he's also the main writer. Team is Metal Gear veterans, with people who worked on Portable Ops and Ghost Babel on board.
> Game reuses everything from the base game, but restructures and recontextualize the story/cutscene.
>Full English redub (Japanese cast is mostly the same) with Big Boss being voiced by Richard Doyle, his MGS4 voice actor. Kiefer is, however, still in, voicing Ishmael and the Medic, with a handful of new lines (is in more of cameo role then anything) James Horan as Skullface, and Downes as Kaz are the only real returning actors.
>Story has been completely changed, and has approximately three hours of completely new cutscenes, and quite a bit of the old ones have been extremely edited.
>Ground Zeroes is fully integrated into the game, and serves as a prologue.
>One such example is a revamped intro, in which it depicts Morpho's crash at the end of GZ, in which you have limited control of Big Boss, crawling through the wreckage, and watching a XOF kill team lead by Skullface, killing a bunch of survivors, which is the trailer in it's entirety.
>Abducts Chico, and Skullface is about to deliver the coup de grace on Boss, when the Medic attacks him from behind. A small, but brutal CQC battle ensures, with Skullface eventually overwhelming Venom, before he's killed with a knife to his throat.
>Snake and Kaz are saved at the last minute, by a gunship, forcing XOF to retreat with Chico in tow. Trailer ends with Boss losing conscious, as he's being dragged into a heli by Cipher Special Forces led by Ocelot.
>To make things clear, the game is intended to stomp out Kojima''s vision of the series (despite the rendition being built on alot of unused concepts Hideo discarded).
>Reflected in the title, which is Metal Gear Solid 5, instead of V.
>Some discard previously, but brought back ideas include the hospital escape being far more horrific and demonic, Boss hallucinates the staff as Undead horrors.
>Quiet has been...reworked. The character has been split into two. "Quiet" now dies in the hospital after being set on fire "by" Ishmael (whose legit a hallucination/spirit of Venom) the AI buddy ally half of her character is now a Ukraine sniper, Albatross, a completely new character. Fully clothed, she's a mercenary in league with the Soviets. Still an AI buddy, but much more mundane, and is a associate of Ocelot.
> You get to bring generic Diamond Dog soldiers with you on missions, they act as expendable buddies. (And can be perma killed)
>D.D, D.Horse, and D.Walker are in unchanged.
>The game world has been reworked. Each area is basically now a warzone, with rival PMC's units engaging each other and rebels. Random encounters include armored supply caravans, warcrimes like mass executions, and large scale offensives against strongholds.
>The entire games structure has been changed, no more different chapters. It's one unified story.
>Entirely new buddies include Battle Gear, which was previously cut from the game. Basically the Zeke building segment of Peace Walker...with the addition of being able to drive it (deploying cost alot though). And Red. (Chico as he was supposed to be in Phantom Pain. Is also a midgame boss.)
>Only characters consist to their PP portrayal are Kaz (whose still an angry prick with the same role) and Huey (whose still a treasonous bastard) Ocelot and Skullface might as well be two completely different characters. Code Talker has been cut.
>Is being billed as a "game as a service". Reworked Kingdom of the Flies is a pre order bonus, and they'll be addition sub narratives as DLC. Only way really the higher ups greenlighted the project in the first place.
>Release date is December this year.
I would welcome a finished game which were made more coherent, but I can't trust Konami not fucking it up, both story and gameplay wise.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds cool, but no way that is going to happen. I wish though. I don't think Konami cares much about the west anyway, they have their pachinko machines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom