Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima's next game

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Jun 7, 2016.

1. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
  2. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    I love reading these comments because I am seriously enjoying the game. Most that has been said here is a gross exaggeration, so it just puts it all in perspective. Comparing Death Stranding to a walking simulator is absurd. It really is a Hiking Simulator as I said before. There is a distinction. It's pedantic as hell, but it's true. The traversal of the environment is not intrusive to the point of bogging down your progress with impediments, so it really comes together rather well. The UI does suck though.

One problem some people might have is they complete a bunch of extra missions before Episode Three when you unlock a bunch of shit, namely the ability to fast travel from base to base. I saw people bitch about that one. So just work your way to Episode Three's boss fight.

There is a bike a few hours into the game. Plus the exosuit I have currently allows you to sprint Elysium style. This game does encourage teamwork as they said. I felt good a couple of times when I placed some vital element in the environment that I knew would help. It also helped a ton when people started putting bridges up.

Is it the best game ever? No. People hype games up way too much. But it doesn't warrant a 6.8 like IGN gave it. Games like Fallout 4 get praised while games like this get trashed.

• Brofist x 14
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • retadred x 3
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    My only pity is that by the time I get to play this after a year or two, the online component will probably be deserted and I won't see these helping structures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Two bombs were not enough.

• Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Steamboat Willie Scholar

Steamboat Willie
    > agender

This planet needs fucking WW3 and I'm not using a shred of sarcasm.

• Yes x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Viata Arcane

Viata
    The problem with every game that has this concept.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Lord Commissar Alexer Educated

Lord Commissar Alexer
    After watching through the 9h video.....yeah. He should change his career from game developer to movie director.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    You might be onto something.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Darkwind Novice

Darkwind
    The fact that you say this straight faced even after having played the game tells me what a fucking fanboy you are not that your moniker "Big Boss" doesn't tip one off already. It is non-intrusive to stagger around like you are a late stage Parkinson's sufferer who just came off a 3 day meth bender even when wearing an exo-skeleton? It is also non-intrusive to be riding a motorcycle that will literally stop dead in its tracks for hitting rocks that a kid on a BMX bike could mount and conquer with ease. I think TheImplodingVoice was channeling you when he wrote that piss take on page 53 here.

• Brofist x 8
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Assisted Living Godzilla Arbiter

Assisted Living Godzilla
    Meth heads have impeccable balance, I once saw one walking around Walmart completely sideways without falling over.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Like the author adage: "write what you know" . What Kojima knows is consuming entertainment and working in game development. Maybe he has never done manual labor or rode a bike in his life, so he thinks it's reasonable not to be able to walk with a heavy burden on rugged ground without being in constant danger of stumbling. He should have had a mail carrier as a consultant. I know a guy name Jose he could have reached out to. Or read some Bukowski, he delivered mail for a spell.

Actually it would be interesting if he shed all the trashy sci-fi fantasy wank and made a game about game development, something he actually has first hand knowledge about.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 4
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ropulos Learned

ropulos
    Kojima would be a terrible filmmaker, specially if he's hellbent on writing duties which is his weakest aspect

• Agree Agree x 7
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Too bad that entertainment he consumes doesn't include video games. Not enough time to play when you're busy watching Netflix garbage I guess.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Whipped Cream Educated

Whipped Cream

• Funny x 5
    • Yes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • No x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Bigg Boss Prophet

Bigg Boss
    How do you know what my face looked like?

The only games of Kojima's I ever liked were some of the Metal Gear games. I dislike Kojima on general principle due to a number of reasons.

Produced, Directed, and Written by Bigg Boss.

Turns out he isn't the only one that makes the games. Whether a game is good or not has nothing to do with whether you like the guy who directed it. This disconnect is how you can watch a Tom Cruise movie without laughing your ass off thinking about Xenu.

It's not hard. It hasn't been inconvenient. I'm running around the environment with max load, jumping over fucking rocks, repelling down mountains...I outran BT's with a full load of gear without falling. I'm not even good at games. You don't actually know how the games navigation feels until you play it. I see a bunch of retards complaining about a fairly unique game just like retards complained about isometric turn based combat being too booooorrring.

Everyone hears negative talk, so they all pick up that narrative. As for staggering that depends on how you balance your load. I'm sure most people fell over once with their shit stacked like a Jenga tower, then turned the game off and went online to immediately vent on Codex.

Maybe this interests me because I know what it feels like to carry 80 lbs of gear on your back and go hiking. You do stumble and fall if you attempt to run and jump up mountains and down rocks. Shit is slippery when it rains.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Brofist x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Viata Arcane

Viata
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 28
    • nice nice x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Thinking you can be a good game designer without playing games is like thinking you can be a good author without reading, or a good engineer without studying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    [​IMG]

That silhouette on the pillow :what:

• Funny x 13
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    While said in jest, it's probably true. But the sad thing is, turns out being a delivery driver is not the most exciting thing in the world, especially with more added tedium

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master

• Brofist x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grauken friEndly mUrderpUmpkin Patron

Grauken
    This is almost beautiful, I can imagine the rage of the guy at that moment

• Funny x 16
    • incline x 3
    • Balanced x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Viata Arcane

Viata
    All that money spent in the game and you still have a guy floating next to the bridge. Why he didn't fall? Invisible wall?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 22
    • nice nice x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    The quality of this game will depend on how "good" it feels to walk around and function in the game. People have said it has shit UI which is a major strike, but if moving around feels nice, and the game is sufficiently thematic, it could be fun to just chill and see where the game takes you.

EDIT: Oh, and Margaret Qualley is gorgeous. Another prototypical, western Holywood whore, but still gorgeous.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)