Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This is almost beautiful, I can imagine the rage of the guy at that moment

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This is almost beautiful, I can imagine the rage of the guy at that moment

giphy.gif

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The quality of this game will depend on how "good" it feels to walk around and function in the game. People have said it has shit UI which is a major strike, but if moving around feels nice, and the game is sufficiently thematic, it could be fun to just chill and see where the game takes you.

EDIT: Oh, and Margaret Qualley is gorgeous. Another prototypical, western Holywood whore, but still gorgeous.

Last edited:

Curratum

I'm sitting through the 9 hours of cutscenes, which is literally the game without the walking around. I'm halfway in and it's very poorly written. Even the writing is tedious, things and concepts are repeated over and over again in a manner that feels like an insult to your intelligence. So much for the 9000 IQ Kojimbo appreciator society - the game is literally explaining things to you as though you're either doing something else in the meantime or you're just a moron.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm sitting through the 9 hours of cutscenes, which is literally the game without the walking around. I'm halfway in and it's very poorly written. Even the writing is tedious, things and concepts are repeated over and over again in a manner that feels like an insult to your intelligence. So much for the 9000 IQ Kojimbo appreciator society - the game is literally explaining things to you as though you're either doing something else in the meantime or you're just a moron.
I found a 7.5h video that I watched yesterday on my 2nd screen. At the end they repeat everything again :D

Acting is often pretty good but sometimes really bad. Some things don't make sense (smaller things) or are poorly explained (like how everyone seems to be teleporting in the 2nd part of the game). First I thought it was because of their network but they said they cannot bring people through. Then they said Fragile teleported them around and now she is too tired to continue but they still keep teleporting lol.

Main character is almost a robot, it is hilarious. It is almost impossible to get into that character.

Overall story and "storytellling" is about 6/10. When you add terrible gameplay between story elements it is 4/10 game. That 4 is only here because graphics are amazing.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yep, I'd probably buy this game if it wasn't written by the Japanese Ed Wood. I wouldn't mind just walking around, I love the art direction, the music and the actors, if the story wasn't such embarrassing garbage.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yep, I'd probably buy this game if it wasn't written by the Japanese Ed Wood. I wouldn't mind just walking around, I love the art direction, the music and the actors, if the story wasn't such embarrassing garbage.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about Hideo Kojima, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in CQC and Metal Gear cutscenes, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Russia as Big Boss but formerly known as Naked Snake at the time, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the Foxhound armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about Hideo Kojima over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and I am getting Hal so your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in tactic espionage action but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Foxhound and The Patriots and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Last edited:

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Would you guys recommend if its a must buy when it releases on the superior PC platform or should I just watch some playthough on Youtube?

I tried not to spoil myself, but just from the marketing I can't tell if this is just some expensive walking adventure game or if it actually has some interesting gameplay. From the comments on this thread I get the feeling it's just an interactive movie...

Also I learned from Peter Molyneux, that it does not matter if a game has your name on it, it can still be shit (I'm looking at you GODUS), despite a glorious past.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Would you guys recommend if its a must buy when it releases on the superior PC platform or should I just watch some playthough on Youtube?

I tried not to spoil myself, but just from the marketing I can't tell if this is just some expensive walking adventure game or if it actually has some interesting gameplay. From the comments on this thread I get the feeling it's just an interactive movie...

Also I learned from Peter Molyneux, that it does not matter if a game has your name on it, it can still be shit (I'm looking at you GODUS), despite a glorious past.
I spent 7h watching it on youtube and I want my time back. I suggest you just skip this trash.

Sentinel

Arcane

I spent 7h watching it on youtube and I want my time back. I suggest you just skip this trash.
Why in the ever living name of fuck would you spend seven hours watching cutscenes of a game you already disliked on youtube?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Why in the ever living name of fuck would you spend seven hours watching cutscenes of a game you already disliked on youtube?
Because he is lying in order to look edgy. Obviously he didn't watch it on youtube.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I dislike gameplay. I started watching it on cohh's twitch livestream but since terrible gameplay was 90% of content I wanted to save my time by finding a version with all that shit cut out. There is a 9h video and 7.5h one. I picked the smaller one to save more of my time.
I didn't know story would be shit as well until I watched 2/3 of it and after that I watched the rest to find out if it gets saved by the end (it does not).

Curratum

I figured it out - people in Death Stranding have a Ka and a Ha, and it's the "mehame" in-between that causes the voidouts and the death stranding! :D

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I managed to make it to the snowy part...

I feel like I have been massively trolled the whole game up to this point.

I'm going to quit here.

Zep--

Momock

Augur
Maybe... just MAAAAAAYBE it's done that way because if you actually play the game instead of watching cutscenes on jewtube like a retard, then a lot of time is spent between the cutscenes (+ the time between playing sessions) and you have to be reminded of certain things? It's just a theory. :roll:

Curratum

So, we all know the gameplay is not much to talk about and the mechanics are clear at this point, but I just got done watching all the cutscenes, all 9+ hours of them, and here's what I think.

What we have here is a story that hinges on some seriously heavy bullshittery, including parallel universe / multiverse bullshit - a device that usually makes me immediately discredit what I'm watching or reading, but it's executed reasonably well in this instance. There are certainly heartfelt moments and scenes that hit you in the feels (likely moreso for me because I'm a father) and there were some genuinely enjoyable cinematographic moments in the whole thing, but they were a tiny fraction of the whole.

The story tries to pull a few cons here and there but they are relatively easy to see through - what was probably intended as the grand reveal near the finale was increasingly transparent from around early to mid-game, just from watching the cutscenes. The presentation is super indulgent, not just cumbersome writing, but super-long, drawn out camera shots and moments of silence.

As a whole, without spoiling everything, I'd say the payoff was not quite enough even from just watching the cutscenes, without trudging through the tedium of the gameplay. And deary me, the last mission proper really IS the fetch quest to end all fetch quests forever, as one reviewer called it. You can see how the mission intro tried to slowly warm you up to the massive dick coming for you, it's slowly breaking you in, it doesn't just dump the ridiculous objective on you, because you'd probably disbelieve.

I wouldn't say it's a terrible experience, it's far more coherent than anything MGS-based, but I just expected a little more story-wise, and delivered a little more concisely. All of this is, again, without suffering through any of the trekking gameplay.

Edit - I forgot sound design and music - both impeccable, easily the strong point of the whole thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom