Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is hard to talk about the story without spoilers :D
Like how I don't know what multiverse bullshit you are talking about?! The Big story is about Creation vs Destruction, there is no Multiverse in it
unless you are talking about WWI and WWII sequences, those can be explained in other ways.
Details about a lot of it are left unexplained of course, like who or what is exactly behind it. We only ever meet the agents, not the Big Bad
No, Strand/Amelie is not the Big Bad.
I liked some of the 4th wall breaking cinematics, they inserted a bit of fun.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
kNHbBlN.jpg

FyHzjTV.jpg

Chjwfjt.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-s...-us-possibly-because-it-flies-above-shooters/

I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.

I hate to say he's right, but he's right.

Curratum

Like how I don't know what multiverse bullshit you are talking about?! The Big story is about Creation vs Destruction, there is no Multiverse in it
unless you are talking about WWI and WWII sequences, those can be explained in other ways.
Details about a lot of it are left unexplained of course, like who or what is exactly behind it. We only ever meet the agents, not the Big Bad

There is no big bad in the story, the story is about cyclic mass extinction of species and life enduring through those cycles.

Churrasco

Augur
Patron
Wasteland 2
After 9 hours of cutscenes the only scene I liked was the ending with Mads' character, kinda wish they had made a story about parent/fatherhood instead of this end of the world hogwash.
Also, I'm not sure about the anti trump interview Kojima had as
The president is a woman and she brings about the end of the world, clearly Kojima telling us about how America would had been should Hillary had won the election

Sentinel

Arcane
Kojima didn't give any anti-trump interview, he merely cited Brexit and Trump's Wall as some of the examples of a "divided world". The headline you saw floating around was completely invented. He didn't make Death Stranding because of Trump or Brexit.

Curratum

After 9 hours of cutscenes the only scene I liked was the ending with Mads' character, kinda wish they had made a story about parent/fatherhood instead of this end of the world hogwash.
Also, I'm not sure about the anti trump interview Kojima had as
The president is a woman and she brings about the end of the world, clearly Kojima telling us about how America would had been should Hillary had won the election

I'd argue that the story IS about fatherhood and the connection you have to your family and child, only dressed up as a pretentious sci-fi yarn. The scene where
you defeat the Mads boss and you have a conversation and you let him hold BB for a while
was probably my favorite in the whole thing and touched me the most.

Kojima didn't give any anti-trump interview, he merely cited Brexit and Trump's Wall as some of the examples of a "divided world". The headline you saw floating around was completely invented. He didn't make Death Stranding because of Trump or Brexit.

Yeah it was exaggeration by the human detritus who work as game journalists.

Curratum

Now that I think about it, the game left me feeling more like it wasn't so much about reconnecting with "other people" as much as it was about family and children. Probably an equally important message in an era when people's desire to have kids is at what might be an all-time low.

I found the whole thing strangely humane and warm, considering it was produced by a Japanese director. Didn't exactly like the writing and a lot of the delivery, but the story has its heart in the right place, on a very abstract top level.

I may be viewing the whole thing differently than many people as I am a dad myself, so that might be affecting my perception and interpretation of certain things.

Curratum

You know, the more I think about it, the more the whole thing grows on me. I am not defending Death Stranding, which curiously abbreviates the same way Dark Souls does, as a GAME GAME. It's a very humane, heartwarming concept and message, presented in digital format, packaged with the bare minimum of gameplay "mechanics| and user controls to be marketable as a "game", but it's really not a bad experience on the whole, assuming you don't grind yourself to death doing side-quests. It could be improved a lot if the writing went all-in and respected the player's intelligence a little more but I guess repetition is a Japanese tradition or something.

It's a lot more structured than any of the plotlines in any MGS game and I found the artistic message and my perception of Kojima's intent a lot more likeable than anything he has produced so far. It's a little ham-fisted but again, I imagine the man's heart is in the right place.

Sentinel

Arcane
You're convincing me to buy it. I went out to eat last sunday and on the table next to me sat a mother with this nice kid and they were joyfully playing. Made me want to be a dad. Maybe I can live my paternal fantasies through Hideo Kojima's game!

Curratum

In his defense, if I had the resources and access he has, if I were making a game, I would too want to be heavily involved in almost all of the above, barring promotion and merch.

ArchAngel

Arcane

There is no big bad in the story, the story is about cyclic mass extinction of species and life enduring through those cycles.
Of course there is. The Mass Extinction stuff shows intelligence behind it. Afterlife shows intelligence behind it. There can be no afterlife without a "God".
So there is a Big Bad, you just never meet it. You just hear stories and assumptions from its agents.

Curratum

They are not willing agents, they're just tools carrying out a purpose. The idea of a "god" in the game's universe is quite amusing, considering it's a very technologically advanced, agnostic society. I never heard the word "god" or its derivatives mentioned even once.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They are not willing agents, they're just tools carrying out a purpose. The idea of a "god" in the game's universe is quite amusing, considering it's a very technologically advanced, agnostic society. I never heard the word "god" or its derivatives mentioned even once.
There is a cosmic (or multiverse) intelligence behind it. Extinction is not a random event, it is not global warming or a random comet. Someone or something chose their EE and chose the moment to start it. And it does not matter how advanced that society is. If there is a "God" no matter how agnostic you are it will not change that.

Curratum

What I'm saying is, I didn't think it was implied that a conscious force was behind the extinction events or that a sentient being, alike to a god, was driving the EE. That's just my take on it, though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What I'm saying is, I didn't think it was implied that a conscious force was behind the extinction events or that a sentient being, alike to a god, was driving the EE. That's just my take on it, though.
Characters give a bunch of their own drivel and ideas about it all. Nothing about it might be true. Even what EE talks about is mostly guesswork.
But how the events are described, it shows it is not random. And if it is not random then there is some intelligence behind it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No, the game isn't about Trump or Brexit

JWrxlgJ.jpg
Ahhh don't see the connection,but i do see some very shitty writing. It is obvious that the writer didn't knew english very well....and was too arrogant to have a corrector.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom