Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Luka-boy

Arcane
index.php
1585579287200tkkj2.jpg

I kind of love this game despite all its flaws, the biggest of which is this seems like a confused jumbled mess of gameplay ideas.

Something I've always wanted to see open world games do is this kind of terrain system this has. Now before this game, that kind of stuff was basically only something you'd see in football games, like the long gone now NFL 2K games where rain would affect moment and and your character might rip up the ground doing a spin move or something. I wonder if Death Stranding also got some ideas from Football video games too, because when you're going through a MULE camp on foot without any guns that juke move you have can become very important. Running through a MULE camp with too many enemies for you to really fight can end up feeling like a pretty simple football game, and it's a pretty fun little obstacle in the way of you delivering your packages. That said there are a number of thing that stand in the way of this simple little fun gameplay look, which are:

- Capture Gun. Having a range weapon that tie everyone up pretty easily means you'll never really need to engage with this aspect of the game. In fact I was pretty far into the game before I had this little relevant that this aspect is kind of like a football video game (at which point I also started thinking about how Sam's suit with big shoulder pads kind of looks like some kind of sci-fi football uniform) because I almost always had either a gun or a vehicle.

- Vehicles. While driving around will make deliveries go far faster, they also make MULE camps more or less completely pointless. Likewise the roads you build with others, which is a nice group aspect which is what the game is actually all about, do this too.

- There aren't enough MULE camps. Going with this football thing some more, the layout of the map should be such that there's MULE camps between all your destination, just like you're always going to have a defense between you and the end zone. The distance between destinations and MULE camps can also be too much, which gives you less incentive to even want to engage with them.

- This isn't as big of a problem as the other thing, but it would have been nice to have more action you could take. Just having a juke as an evasive move keeps things simple, but it's also a little too simple.​

I think the weirdest thing about the capture gun is the game builds in a reason why you can't use guns on people, almost as if they're giving you an in-universe reason you'll have to use juke moves and fist fighting to make it through a MULE camp. Then it just gives you a special nonlethal gun that gets you around that.

The building aspect also seems like something only kind of half thought out. I was left wishing that was deeper, that I was freely building up distribution centers myself in a RTS Factorio kind of way, and needing to set up safe routes for delivery bot that physically traveled the map. Having the ability to build stuff is fun, and that was nice enough that I wish there was more to that part of the game.

This game also needed a better hand-to-hand system. It's alright for the majority of the game, it's completely functional. But around the end when it wants to to this kind of pseudo fight game things it's like, ok, this game should have implemented something a little deeper if it's going to make such a big thing of it for this big boss fight.

I'm also even more sure now after beating this game, and doing the last of the Cliff Unger stuff that a lot of this game is reworked Silent Hills stuff. The Wagner characters seem like they could be some cult leader in the town, and Unger feels like a reworked version of the first two game's leads.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right before Desperados 3 release announcement and nothing notable in mid July for me aside from F1 2020, perfect

:evilcodex:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wasn't he planning to make a movie in Hollywood?

After seeing his "writing" in action I guess Hollywood advised him to spend more time with his family instead.

Sentinel

Arcane
That's probably the "big project" that fell through. Although that might have more to do with the pandemic than anything else. Unreliable projects by no name new guys are the first on the chopping block.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah, but you're 10 years late on that. There's been a Metal Gear Solid movie "in the works" since before mgs5 released with a director who's friends with Kojima. Kiefer Sutherland was put as Snake in MGS5 because of some jew hollywood director friend of Kojima's. Etc etc

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wasn't he planning to make a movie in Hollywood?

After seeing his "writing" in action I guess Hollywood advised him to spend more time with his family instead.
That is quite the achievement,seeing how hollywood can't write a decent film to save their filthy lifes. It is not like there is a single good writer in the whole of california.

Tehdagah

Arcane

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

In a new Japanese interview Hideo Kojima calls Death Stranding a "success" and states that they've recouped dev costs
KP is still in the planning stages for the next title
He also says that recently a big project he planned to do apparently fell apart
https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18332936/

"recouped dev costs"

No profits so far then, but they will eventually get it.

Maybe with the PC sales (Steam release is in July)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Once people play it on PC it will finance his next big venture in full. I expect plenty of people need the zen like atmosphere of Death Stranding now that we will be locked indoors for the rest of our lives.

Sentinel

Arcane

In a new Japanese interview Hideo Kojima calls Death Stranding a "success" and states that they've recouped dev costs
KP is still in the planning stages for the next title
He also says that recently a big project he planned to do apparently fell apart
https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18332936/

"recouped dev costs"

No profits so far then, but they will eventually get it.

Kojima mentions specifically that they made enough profit to allow them to start working on a new project.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Htaed Gnidnarts 2. It's gonna be just like Death Stranding but with all words written backwards.

Kojima surprises his fans with his genius again!

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Yeah, but you're 10 years late on that. There's been a Metal Gear Solid movie "in the works" since before mgs5 released with a director who's friends with Kojima. Kiefer Sutherland was put as Snake in MGS5 because of some jew hollywood director friend of Kojima's. Etc etc

I cant wait for john carpenter to sue them like he did with that other blatant rip off of ESNY.

Venser

Erudite
I hope the canned project wasn't that horror thing he was hinting on Twitter. Probably is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom