Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

DeepOcean

Arcane
I was reading somewhere a while ago that this is going to be a PS5 launch title. Probably still gets a PS4 release too but I suppose Sony needs a blockbuster for a new hardware launch.
I think this is fake news, voice work and motion capture work is done and people are talking of a 2019 release, I don't think they will manage to be on 2019 as not even a playable demo or extensive gameplay footage is available but first half of 2020 is pretty possible, I don't think PS 5 will be ready by then. Sony representatives even mentioned being surprised the game was developed fast without major issues what means Kojima knew what he wanted to do (for good or worse) and didn't mess around too much.

There was a first 2 hours demo that was shown to Guerilla games as they worked on the engine, I guess this demo will eventually be shown on the Sony's own event later on the year as they are skipping E3.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why are you trying to score KKKs by namedropping Thief? I played Thief on release day, owned every edition of it (including the original trapezoid box) and I think it's one of the best games of all time, but what does this have to do with MGS being good or not? The aspects that made MGS mindblowing on release have nothing to do with Thief. Absolutely nothing. They're completely, entirely different games.

Get your fucking head out of your ass, you baby.
Personaly, Thief aged better than Metal Gear in terms of gameplay for me, I get how Metal Gear Solid 1, when it was released, it was really impressive as there wasn't a game of its kind and it has a different approach than Thief but I played MGS 1 recently and I wasn't so hot for it not because it wasn't Thief but because the boss fights were clunky, the camera didn't help at all and the gameplay was pretty basic for a stealth game, it was mostly only an upgrade of the previous Metal Gear games to 3d with a few gimmicks and cinematic stuff that didn't age well.

I didn't enjoy the gameplay of Metal Gear 1 (liked Phantom Pain though) while I enjoy Thief's expansive level design, indirect way of telling the story and building atmosphere to this day. I personally think Metal Gear 1 was more spectacle while Thief was more substance, the spectacle of Metal Gear faded into the memory of the fans while the substance of Thief can be played to this day.

I have no doubt that if Kojima had the opportunity of remaking a MGS 1 again, he would rebuild the game on the molds of a Phantom Pain while Thief remains the king of the stealth genre to this day and modern designers only "innovated" by adding popamole to it what actually makes it worse.

Solid Snail

Learned
I was reading somewhere a while ago that this is going to be a PS5 launch title. Probably still gets a PS4 release too but I suppose Sony needs a blockbuster for a new hardware launch.
I think this will be a PS4 titles, and probably on PS5 we won't see so many remastered as we saw with Ps3>PS4 simply because probably PS5 will be backward compatible with Ps4 (at least), too many game as a service like Overwatch, Rainbow Six, Fortnite, Destiny etc. are on Ps4. A simple patch like devs already do for the Pro could improve resolution, framerate etc. The positive thing is people will still be able to use all their games and publisher won't need to do another version of the same game because they can keep selling the current one and patching it. This is, of course, if Sony gives a fuck about users, they can always go with the no BC way so they can sell again the whole PS4 titles line-up with 2 additional frames per second.

The reality is with the current architecture you don't need to do remasters anymore, and if they'll go the no BC way is just because they are greedy and want to do money by selling the same games like they did with the passage from PS3 to PS4, but on the last gen they had the excuse of the "because of Cell we can't implement BC", now that excuse can't find a reason anymore.

Also comparing Thief to MGS makes no sense: both are great franchises but they play so much differently even being stealth titles you can't really compare them. Thief is all about planning the best route for you by using a vast set of tools so a player can play in a totally different manner compared to another player, reach the objective by taking different paths etc.
Metal Gear is a linear experience in which your options are somewhat limited heavily focused on the plot. While in MGS you still can solve several situations in different ways, you have not the Thief freedom. They are both good, but too different.

Terenty

Liturgist
Why do you think so?

Because of the strong rpg aspect of Deus Ex, besides it being an immersive sim(npcs, c&c, skills, augs, etc.)

Could you explain about the LGS philosophy before and after UU?
I'm really curious, btw.

To cut it short, they deemed that interacting with npcs, dialogue trees etc., cant be simulated good enough and thus break immersion, so decided to relegate all the necessary information to either overheard conversations or audio logs, stripping all their games after UU of that rpg layer

Onionguy

Educated
All of the MGS games are top quality,

As in budget? Sure.
Actual game design quality, no.

highly polished games

Yeah sure.
But that doesn't make them great.
Alot of great games were/are unpolished on release, and some still to this day without the proper mods.
Most people that post here know this.

with great gameplay,

No. Hell no.
MGS3 and MGS5 sure.
The rest not so much.

interesting ideas, another level attention to details

Sure. Cool little gimmicks that barely influence the way you play as always been Kojimbo's most prominent design philosophy.
One of the reasons MGS3 has an actually good game, was because it was the only game of the series were those little gimmicks actually had an impact on gameplay.

and entertaining stories.

Only if you shut your brain or enjoy shitty anime. Hell, I've seen animes with better writing, pacing, characterization, consistency and more subtlety when tackling the respective themes of their story (without any apparent self-congratulatory hints to it, might I add). A fact that becomes even more funny when you consider Kojima's goal was to be a Hollywood movie director.
But some cutscenes are fine I guess.

I was 18 years old when MGS 1 came out and that shit was mindblowing at the time. Truly fucking mindblowing what they did on the PSX.

You must have been a toddler by then and only played it 10-15 years later, proclaiming at the top of your lungs that it was overrated.

A fact that proves your mind was a easily impressionable one back then.

You know what game was truly mindblowing that year? Truly excellent in almost every aspect of it's design?
Thief.

Yet still to this day MGS1 is shilled has masterpiece, and the progenitor of stealth games by every retard.

Hell, Tenchu 1 was a better stealth game than MGS (despite it's limited field of view). And has been unfortunately forgotten about, despite it's quality (the sequel was much better tough).

Also sorry to disappoint you but MGS1 was one of the first games I ever played on a home console. And I was about 12 years old when I did.
And even back then I wasn't really impressed.

Metal Gear Solid is far better than anything in Tenchu series; not as a stealth based experience but overall as a game. Sure, PSX era Tenchu had more refined sneaking mechanics, but due to low visibility, inconsistent AI and some ridiculous game design choices, like annoying and immersion breaking boss fights, I really found them disappointing. Wrath of heaven improved on the technical side of things, but in other places it was dumped down too much, resulting in an easy and boring game. Only Fatal Shadows counts as a good one.

On the other hand MGS, thanks to its excellent pacing, good variety and simple but fun gameplay is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. But as I said, where it excels are not its stealth aspects, but a solid mixture of many different things. MGS's fluid controls and arcade-y gameplay really accommodate all kinds of challenges. It can be stealthy at times, and then smoothly transition into an action sequence only a moment later. That is why bosses work so well in these games as opposed to Tenchu, which fails at anything it tries outside of pure sneaking.

MGS and MGS 3 are probably the only cinematic games done right, the only ones that are both memorable and fun. Both God of War and Uncharted want to be a bit like them, but fail miserably due to their mind numbing repetitiveness. And I also enjoyed MGS better than most "only good stealth games" like SC 1/2, Tenchu FS, Styx, Thief 3 or Riddick, because as fun as their are, they still have to look up to some superior entries in the genre such as Chaos Theory and Thief 1/2, MGS 1 and 3 are truly great and unique on their own.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why are you trying to score KKKs by namedropping Thief? ... The aspects that made MGS mindblowing on release have nothing to do with Thief. Absolutely nothing. They're completely, entirely different games.

Can't you read? Do I have to explain myself to you, like you are a 5 year old?
There is nothing mindblowing about MGS1.
MGS1 is undeniably an overrated game and unfortunately shilled by the majority of people has the most influential stealth game ever made.

Solid Snail

Learned
It's astonishing how people from the industry keeps posting on Twitter how this game is amazing and what we saw it's just a character walking in a desert.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1549753628676.png
2qFJAFk.png

Last edited:

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Kojima:

GIVE ME YOUR HAND IN DEATH
GIVE ME YOUR HAND IN LIFE
GIVE ME YOUR HAND IN FLESH
GIVE ME YOUR HAND IN SPIRIT

and the entire world reaches for their controllers

this fukkin guy

Master

Arbiter
Why do you think so?

Because of the strong rpg aspect of Deus Ex, besides it being an immersive sim(npcs, c&c, skills, augs, etc.)

Could you explain about the LGS philosophy before and after UU?
I'm really curious, btw.

To cut it short, they deemed that interacting with npcs, dialogue trees etc., cant be simulated good enough and thus break immersion, so decided to relegate all the necessary information to either overheard conversations or audio logs, stripping all their games after UU of that rpg layer
Alright, but you have to consider that in Thief you are after all a thief. You go about robing peoples houses where you cant be seen or heard, or raiding zombie infested crypts.
And in SS1/2 you are the Last Survivor in a monster infested space facility.
So there isnt much sense in having dialogue trees anyway.

Solid Snail

Learned
8vTUr4v.png

Kojima confirmed DS is delayed, maybe it's time to stop to go all around the world each week to show your game to everyone or hanging out with some random actor.

I presume this is when it starts, he will probably run out of budget and Death Stranding will be a 6 hours "experience" with Norman Reedus walking in a big empty plateau full of invisible enemies, you shoot an enemy once, he dies, it's revealed to be a Guillermo DelToro-like mob, the child inside Norman Reedus makes an ok gesture and the game ends, but to unlock the real ending you need to play it 10 times, the real ending is Mads showing up on the screen while singing Quiet theme.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom