Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Bigg Boss

Arcane
What was that Quiet thing? Never read about any "outrage" regarding her or that phrase? Only thing I read about was that she was almost naked... but that came from the usual Twitter suspect so didn't care about that.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...when-recognizing-the-reason-for-her-exposure/

Then fans went on a tirade about it to this day. They are so used to being blamed for things that they don't realize he meant Venom Snake and Diamond Dogs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunkey is viewed as a reviewer. He has even taken steps to legitimize that notion. He's also a low brow moron that probably hates RPG's due to having to read too much. Some of these guys are going in with their mind made up, playing the game as shitty as possible to get views, and taking it to the bank. Fags that are supposed to be offended by gaming "journalists" being shills and liars, are just giving it a free pass, due to it being the narrative that they want to back. It's all in good fun, right? This is usually because Kojima has a bad rap due to being such a fucking autist with horrible translators. For example the MGS V Quiet thing..

"Reviewers" who don't know their shit just piss me off. There's nothing lamer than those videos where someone shits on a game, but is purposefully playing it badly. "Haha look at this bad design" he says, meanwhile he's acting like an absolute fucking retard so of course the game acts iffy. Meanwhile there could have been a dozen valid complaints or things to laugh about, but no, the "reviewer" has to go out of his way to act like a clueless idiot. It often happens with those shitty management and simulator games which legitimately have a lot to make fun of: glitches, boring repetitive gameplay, wonky physics. But no, a lot of "gaming youtubers" refuse to read the instructions then act clueless and say "Huh, what does this do? How do I do this? I have no idea what I'm doing, the game is shit!"
It's boring and lame and I have to keep myself from shouting at the screen: "THE GAME TOLD YOU HOW TO DO THAT 5 MINUTES AGO YOU FUCKING IMBECILE, THERE WAS AN EXPLICIT TUTORIAL MESSAGE YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING RETARD!!"

I enjoy gaming youtubers who actually know their shit a lot more. Ross' Game Dungeon is an excellent series, that guy actually researches the games he plays and gives even the shittiest, wonkiest Eurojank a fair chance. Civvie11 is a great reviewer for FPS games, he obviously has experience in the genre, his gameplay is competent, and his jokes are usually pretty decent too. And when he complains about a game being shit, he knows what he's talking about: excessive use of hitscan enemies, shitty weapon handling and floaty movement, bad level design etc. He actually criticizes the design faults of a game while playing it competently. Sseth is also entertaining for that reason, he pumps his videos full with memes and terrible jokes, but at the same time he also knows wtf he's talking about, explicitly describes the gameplay, and picks some gameplay situations he encountered during his playthrough as examples. Icaruslives is also a youtuber I enjoy a lot, he mostly covers Doom mods (but recently also Half Life mods) and he's probably covered 100 mods by now, so he's experienced with the game he's playing and he knows what the fuck he's talking about.

Those are the kinds of videos I enjoy watching: actually competent gamers talking about games in either an informative or funny way, while playing them at a decent skill level.
Clueless retards playing in the most retarded way possible and then laughing at how the game doesn't accomodate their retardation and calling it shit are absolute cancer and just as bad as paid game journo shills.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
So after watching a cut scene compilation (11 hours) of this game, I can say that: HOLY SHIT IT IS SUPER BORING EXISTENTIALIST CRAP. I mean I was intrigued at first but it quickly devolves into monologues about existentialism and the USA (even though they keep talking about America, which makes no sense since they don't seem to wanna connect Central and South America or even Canada) . Don't get me wrong I find the graphics great, dialog is well executed, mechanics (or systems) are in line with the gameplay. Now the overall world building is neat too but the story fails horribly to keep you interested.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Watching just the cut scenes without playing the gameplay is pointless. It's not meant to be digested in one long movie. When playing you find yourself wanting to get to the next cut scene because you are still digesting bits and pieces, whereas you watched them all in one go. Think Twin Peaks S3. Watching that all in one binge would ruin the mystery we had figuring it out. Granted if you don't like it you don't like it, but I know I would have had zero emotional impact if I watched the shit without playing the game. I thought that the whole time when I heard people saying they watched the story and it sucked. The flow of the story works because of the spaces in between. It's like watching just the cut scenes to FF7 but nothing else.

Plus, yeah watching one long movie will hammer home the repetitive dialog that these games tend to have. They really want you to know it's AMERICA for some reason.

So 11 hours? Add in another 30 or so hours to that.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Hmmm, you might have a poin
Watching just the cut scenes without playing the gameplay is pointless. It's not meant to be digested in one long movie. When playing you find yourself wanting to get to the next cut scene because you are still digesting bits and pieces, whereas you watched them all in one go. Think Twin Peaks S3. Watching that all in one binge would ruin the mystery we had figuring it out. Granted if you don't like it you don't like it, but I know I would have had zero emotional impact if I watched the shit without playing the game. I thought that the whole time when I heard people saying they watched the story and it sucked. The flow of the story works because of the spaces in between. It's like watching just the cut scenes to FF7 but nothing else.

Plus, yeah watching one long movie will hammer home the repetitive dialog that these games tend to have. They really want you to know it's AMERICA for some reason.

So 11 hours? Add in another 30 or so hours to that.

Hmmm fair point, maybe when it comes out I will play it and see if it works out better. Thank you for your explanation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Watching just the cut scenes without playing the gameplay is pointless.
That's actually a pretty good point. In general, playing the game is essential to appreciate any games (duuhhh). People usually say that stories in games are not as good as in movies and books. And they are right, but they forgot one thing. That because gaming is an interacitve medium, even a mediocre story is elevated by the gameplay. It doesn't even matter that it is complex or shallow gameplay, just playing the game makes you immerse yourself, and appreciate the story more. Watching a youtube video of cutscenes and declaring that the story and the game is shit is retarded.

sullynathan

Arcane
It's more than that and I feel the need to explain fully.

Once you play the game you know how it plays. You know when people are playing it poorly. If you see someone that can't use the simplest functions in the game there is a problem. Like checking how deep water is before you go trudging through it. When people are too retarded to listen to cutscenes to get the plot then there is some kind of issue with the user not the "plot holes" that don't exist.

Dunkey is viewed as a reviewer. He has even taken steps to legitimize that notion. He's also a low brow moron that probably hates RPG's due to having to read too much. Some of these guys are going in with their mind made up, playing the game as shitty as possible to get views, and taking it to the bank. Fags that are supposed to be offended by gaming "journalists" being shills and liars, are just giving it a free pass, due to it being the narrative that they want to back. It's all in good fun, right? This is usually because Kojima has a bad rap due to being such a fucking autist with horrible translators. For example the MGS V Quiet thing.

"Words and deeds"

You guys remember that? Do people realize he was referring to you being ashamed of your character treating Quiet like shit and saying they were going to kill the bitch? Due to her not talking because of the virus? Pretty sure he wan't saying the fans would be ashamed of their words and deeds. Why would deeds matter? But no 12 year old morons think that he was trying to shame us, so now they get their little egos threatened when they play a game. This game is playing weird music at me and saying new words that are in Egyptian mythology. Pretentious. Let me go play Dark Souls now and boast of the deep lore and atmosphere in this dead ass game with nothing but mobs to kill.

Then EA releases a mediocre Star Wars game which everyone blows a load over. A game with mechanics stolen from other better games with not one original fucking concept. Then people say Resident Evil 2 should win GOTY. A fucking bastardization of what the original game was, that is being lopped up just because it doesn't have roundhouse kicks and boulder punching.

Does this game deserve twenty nominations at the shill game awards? Not really. But a year from now you will see all these pricks come out and say how this game got a bad rap and you should totally go play it now instead of this other game coming out. They will say once I tried to just play the game instead of rush to beat it, it actually became FUN! Imagine that...rushing to end something is not as fun. Kinda like sex.
Yea yea, i get it and Crowbcat does worse with his video yet codexers suck his imaginary dick everytime he uploads yet you and others are disturbed that someone is doing something similar to death stranding as if it's special.

You must be furious that his video is trending and reaching even more people.

PS: Resident evil 2 is better.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Donkey is a good player at least above average and usually tries to push game mechanics to its limits, without playing the game that seems to be what he's doing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It does make me wonder if that game was any good now.

Directed to the comment below.

1sosadyvdh041.png

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
/\ Same thing happened with Contra Rogue Corps

2:09 is peak Dunkey lol (it was the game's fault he touched the fire!)

Edit: I just realized his like/dislike ratio is mostly negative :roll:

Donkey is a good player at least above average and usually tries to push game mechanics to its limits, without playing the game that seems to be what he's doing.
He tried to jump over a cliff instead of using a bridge that was a few meters away from him.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No, you see he made people laugh and played MGS V good after stealing everybody else's tactics so he is good.

Sentinel

Arcane
I just finished the game. Damn, that's Kojima on form. I don't see how you can dislike Death Stranding's story/characters if you liked any of his work pre-MGS5. Some quick bulletpoints:

+ controls great - very similar to phantom pain in that aspect
+ outstanding art work by shinkawa once again
+ planning your route and gear accordingly is fun
+ the cast all have great performances
+ building your way across the wasteland with others makes backtracking with all the shortcuts built feel like an accomplishment
+ the traveling is surprisingly fun as well. You'll navigate through MULE, BT and timefall areas, and it's always great to be in a dire situation up in the mountains and finding that shelter built by some random person that saves your cargo, or the generator that enables your speedy suit or recharges your vehicle.
+ "Come on, Lou. One last delivery."

+- BT beasts are not threatening. There's a section in the game where you're faced with 4 or even 5 at a time, but you can just walk out of the area no problem. But at the same time, I get the vibe they wanted to make BTs environmental hazards, not necessarily enemies (except for the boss fights), so I'm not sure what to feel about this yet.

- you can't switch weapons until your current one is ready to fire, which can make combat somewhat clunky
- the pacing of the story is weird - it is very alike Phantom Pain. Chapter 1 & 2 with introductions to the world and characters, then 6 chapters dedicated to individual characters where it feels like nothing much happens in the story, and then the last 5 chapters where it all unfolds. I'm not a fan.
- menus in active terminals are poorly organized. Some terminal entries should have been eliminated and turned into tabs instead for smoother browsing.
- no mp3 player

Overall I really liked it. I can't believe this game was greenlit in this day and age. It's a pretty risky project to take on. I liked the story as well and I'll be thinking about it to try and get the best understanding of it I can.

It's a bit disheartening to see so many people dismiss a "different" game because journalists tell them to. Even skimming through the 10/10 reviews, I could not disagree more with the opinions of these troglodytes when they say the gameplay is "boring". It was genuinely fun somehow and I spent 60+ hours in it.
I would not be surprised if Death Stranding flops, and in 10 years it is remembered as "that game no one realized was great until it was too late".

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't believe I missed out on so much shit. Trucks, sticky bombs, extra ammo slots...the world building left me wanting more for sure. I want to see how those people live inside the cities. Bridges personal acted like PMC's off of MGS, so I can imagine a little more action in a future sequel. Maybe show us what happened everywhere else on the planet.

The gunplay did need some work for sure. I swear I think Kojima said his team made him add those in.

82h63pirsk041.jpg

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
That bit on the beach where Amelie gives you the revolver and says "You know what to do" and starts walking away was a little bit of genius by Kojima. Pretty smart way to drive home the game's entire premise.
I instinctively started shooting at her before I realized you actually had to go and hug her.

I only have one question about the story though. In the very final scene
where Sam is embracing Lou in the incinerator and he walks out, the rain doesn't age either of them. This is supposedly because Amelie severed her connection to the living world, thus ending BTs and Timefall. However, what were the white baby ghosts that showed up behind Sam?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That bit on the beach where Amelie gives you the revolver and says "You know what to do" and starts walking away was a little bit of genius by Kojima. Pretty smart way to drive home the game's entire premise.
I instinctively started shooting at her before I realized you actually had to go and hug her.

I only have one question about the story though. In the very final scene
where Sam is embracing Lou in the incinerator and he walks out, the rain doesn't age either of them. This is supposedly because Amelie severed her connection to the living world, thus ending BTs and Timefall. However, what were the white baby ghosts that showed up behind Sam?

The Afterlife and Beach still exist and Sam still has the ability to sense them. Perhaps they can no longer enter the material plane as they did before? Either way that rainbow was right side up so it was regular rain. I took it as Amelie bringing Lou back.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm intrigued enough to try this when it's the PSN free game of the month, but not intrigued enough to actually hand over any money.

Venser

Erudite
Spent 2 hours last night just building bridges and delivering lost packages. At first I thought I'll just play it for the story and ignore most of the sidequests but now I'm getting into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom