Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Trash - edgy post-apocalyptic isometric action-RPG - now available on Early Access

himmy

Arcane
http://deathtrash.com

https://af.gog.com/game/death_trash?as=1649904300

Death Trash Is A Grimier, Scarier, Nastier Fallout
Adam Smith on October 12th, 2015 at 11:12 am.
12deathtrashhead.gif

Death Trash [official site] might be the Fallout game for people who wish Bethesda’s post-nuclear world were a whole lot grimier, scarier, and swearier. I’ve been following development for a while but a couple of nights ago I had a nightmare featuring images from the devblog and that means it’s probably time to bring the post-apocalyptic RPG to your attention. It’s a game in which giant bleeding heads make dire predictions, Lovecraftian entities lurk beneath the surface and in which “Fuck off” seems to be a common dialogue option.

Just about all of the images – several of which are animated – at the blog are good enough to maintain my interest in the game. It’s a grotesque setting, packed with radioactive body horror and conversations about shit and blood. Whether that’ll translate into gross-out sniggers and a grubbily believable pisspunk fantasy isn’t clear – the whole thing could still be charmless and grating – but I’m happy to see something that deviates from the too-clean aftermaths that I’m becoming accustomed to.

12deathtrashpuke.gif

Death Trash is appealingly nasty and anxious, like Barry Godber’s artwork for the Court of the Crimson King, but with extra snot and the sort of bad attitude punk bands used to crave. It’s the work of solo developer Stephan Hövelbrinks and the art and world-building aren’t the only interesting things about it. Inspiration for the ‘living world’ and narrative comes from lofty sources:

“Death Trash is a modern post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with influences of cyberpunk, science fiction, horror, the grotesque, sex and trash-talk humor. It features a world full of dialogue and unique characters. Use shotguns, psi powers and eloquent talking to survive in this hostile wasteland. Death Trash is still at an early stage of development and the next step will be a playable prototype.

“Inspired by the roleplaying classic Ultima 7 with it’s focus on a living world as well as the narrative heavy Planescape: Torment, he knew this world had to be created as a mixture of both.”

Yes. I want to see more.

Oh, and this guy reminds me of that hitch-hiking robot that people were sad about recently.

I couldn't find a thread about this.

More Screenshots:

tumblr_nw3lbp0Hx01udgdfno1_1280.gif

tumblr_nw3l73Q08o1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_nvrcmkws5C1udgdfno1_1280.gif

tumblr_nvr4nyvlXQ1udgdfno1_540.png

tumblr_nvr4nyvlXQ1udgdfno4_540.png

tumblr_nvr4nyvlXQ1udgdfno3_1280.png

tumblr_nv8f5ns5Mk1udgdfno2_540.png

tumblr_nv8f5ns5Mk1udgdfno3_540.png

tumblr_nuhc1tBQYz1udgdfno1_540.png

tumblr_nuhc1tBQYz1udgdfno3_540.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From the website:

Death Trash is a modern post-apocalyptic roleplaying game with influences of cyberpunk, science fiction, horror, the grotesque and trash-talk humor. It features a world full of dialogue and interesting characters, item crafting and realtime combat. Player freedom is emphasized and combat is not the only way to survive. Inspired by roleplaying classics like Ultima 7, Planescape: Torment and Fallout. Supports Mouse, Gamepad and Local Co-op.

And pixel art. :negative: But it's a one man project.

Some more images from the website:

tumblr_nuojjfIPxT1udgdfno1_1280.gif

tumblr_nv6g46u9XO1udgdfno3_1280.png

tumblr_nux5lu10NK1udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_nus4o1AVo31udgdfno1_1280.png

tumblr_nu90rxMtDk1udgdfno1_1280.png

:mhd:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow. The graphics are the "meh" kind of pixel art (none of these modern ones reach the beauty of early 90s pixels) but look fine enough, the premise is kinda cool...

... and then I looked more closely at the screenshots. A big town called "Fucktopia". A bar called "Puke Bar", with people pissing on the floor just because. Every second word used is "fuck".

I really love the Gothic series, especially the German versions, for their colloquial dialogue and liberal use of swearwords, it really adds to the atmosphere in those games. But here? Holy fucking shit this isn't "grimier, scarier, nastier" than Fallout, this is just fucking immature. A couple of hardass characters saying fuck all the time? Sure! Having a "fuck you" dialogue option in most conversations? Why not! Basing your entire game around the premise of inserting the word "fuck" anywhere and everywhere possible? I guess I would've loved this back when I was 12 and easily amused.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fallout 1 : Tumblr Edition the game.

I pretty sure they going to put in out of place progressive messages in the game and you can't back out of it.

lightbane

Arcane
Pixel art? Eew, truly disgusting indeed. Even then, I kinda like the Lovecraftian, bizarre abominations. Also, the protagonist kinda looks like a teenager punk, so it's appropriate he/she/it constantly swears. Even then, chances are this will be more playable and less filled with bugs than Fallout 4.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is almost funny and the natural end result of fallout fan edgers growing up.

What's wrong?

Morkar Left

I guess it's more like an action rpg with dialog. Maybe tankgirl meets horror. Could be kind of entertaining if it doesn't take itself too seriously and the "gunplay" is good.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite the childish overuse of the "fuck"... it still looks interesting. Interesting enough to be great if, by chance, it has great mechanics.

animlboogy

Learned
It's like those awkward scenes in 80's movies where a bunch of punks with names like "Snot" show up and act retarded for two minutes stretched out to RPG length.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom