Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 10: New Blood for the Feast

Which era should we play in?

• Early Age

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

sqeecoo

Arcane
Pretender submitted!

Hm, I just notice we have Magic Sites at 50 (way more than standard 35) and Difficult Research. It's not that I mind, just wondering if some of the more experienced players can tell us how much of an impact this is gonna have.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
how much of an impact this is gonna have.

All blood nations get increased blood income. For others it's bad, 15 "bonus" points in mag.site generation isn't a good trade-off for research penalty. Some nations have difficult enough time with research as it is.

For Lemuria it's a death sentence. Thankfully.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Thanks! I won't touch anything unless absolutely necessary.

.:greatjob:

Pretender submitted!

Cool! Just waiting on one more then, and I believe he's supposed to be back tomorrow. I'll tag everyone in a post tomorrow morning (or as soon as I can) as a reminder.

Hm, I just notice we have Magic Sites at 50 (way more than standard 35) and Difficult Research. It's not that I mind, just wondering if some of the more experienced players can tell us how much of an impact this is gonna have.

You know, tbh I really hadn't thought much about the relationship there, I would be interested to hear thoughts on this too... look, here's some now. :cool:

All blood nations get increased blood income. For others it's bad, 15 "bonus" points in mag.site generation isn't a good trade-off for research penalty. Some nations have difficult enough time with research as it is.

For Lemuria it's a death sentence. Thankfully.

I sincerely thank you for the education. You've been a great source of info here! If it's gonna be game-breaking bad, I'll offer to let Lizzurd pick a different nation. I don't wanna screw anyone who built with that in mind, but I don't want anyone screwed off the bat by fate either (unless they're ok with it). I've never even played a game with Lemuria in it, but iirc they do rely on summons and I could see how that could be a problem.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Mmmh I don't think there are other settings to balance a slow research, it's just a different kind of game really. Again, since nations aren't balanced vs one another what actually does is just shifting the balance of power around.
Obviously there are some nations which get screwed more than others and your "build order" for the first turns has to be adapted (eg. No Conj 1 rush to prophetize a black servant in order to start reanimating Wyrms quicker and cheaper for me).

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
What would be more "balanced" settings, if we wanted to keep the slow research?

Matalarata is right, slow research is just a different type of game. Of all nations currently present in the game, only Lemuria really suffers from settings.

- No blood income, thus no benefit from increased site generation;
- No site searchers, so the only way to find magic sites is to conquer searched enemy provinces;
- Really, really BAD research during early and mid stages, so making this setting "difficult" screws the nation even further;
- Initial death gem income depends on "gold income modifier", not on mag sites;
- Even if he takes site-searching Pretender and tries to get maximium of magic 50, Lemuria has no use for most of the gems.

I'll offer to let Lizzurd pick a different nation

Lizzurd, you fagget, do it now.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well then, I'd vote for standard settings (35 Magic Sites, Standard Research - or at least the latter). Dom4 is not a balanced game anyway and that's fine, but no reason to screw some nations up even further. Note that I say that as Mictlan, which benefits from the settings as they are now :)
Not only that, but reduced magic sites are part of the flavor of LA.

On the other hand, it's not my game so I'm just giving my opinion to pass the time until the start, not complaining or insisting. It's noisenerd's decision.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lemuria is already forced to go awake for their summons and because they lack a starting mage so going rainbow sage for research and later site searching seems obvious. And they dont need a bless.

And grand lemurs are quite excellent mages, 3-4 paths. They cover your main needs.

Finally no research means no good counters to lemurian hordes. Thats a huge advantage actually because no Atlantis in the game. Lemuria always has shit research so if everyone is slowed here its a boon not an issue.

Lizzurd

Cipher
JViL1Aj.png

Dayyālu

Arcane
Join us Dayyalu, join ussssssssssssss

Atlantisgivesnofucks_zpsce0cc513.png

DUTY, HONOUR, DISCIPLINE AGAINST THE ANGRY GHOSTS

(shamelessly recycled)

Ok, ok. noisenerd : there is a place for little LA Atlantis? This is in direct breach to my preferences (I would end up with 4 games, if KN or Grimwulf do not end GrimAnt or Pink_Natajara fast) but if there is a little space for the SAVIOURS OF CIVILIZATION I can join.

Can't refuse sqeecoo, after all. And this will end up like Decline1, with LA Atlantis and Lemuria spawning as far away as possible.

I'm ok with Difficult research, less so with increased Magic Sites (Blood Magic is a scourge in LA).

How much research do you need to grab Communion/Sabbath for Banishments; or a simple Fire Shield? Not much.

I guess the problem of fighting Lemuria is more strategical than tactical: it's boring to fight, and bar the gems in the cap kinda useless to conquer.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm ok with Difficult research, less so with increased Magic Sites

Leave the game settings alone, demmit!

:x

You do your own thing noisenerd, don't listen to anybody (me included). Those liberuls only kill the fun. If you ask about people's opinions on every decision, this pbem will end up miserably. Dreaad here can tell you a story about his own game on another forum.

Random player: OOPS, I staled! Let's rollback.
Host: Err, but we can't do a rollback because of a single stale. Let's put it to vote? I vote no.
Random player: I vote yes.
Everybody else: Yes, do a rollback, we don't even know what the fuck is going on, hurray!

A host must be a tyrant.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Protect the virgins! I vote for less blood as well, but I agree we need a strong hand here, strong as a Jaguar Warrior.

Dayyalu, welcome aboard :D I'm glad you were persuaded by my eloquence. Arranging an alliance with Lemuria now.

sqeecoo

Arcane
P.S.
Hooverdog don't submit until we see whether noisenerd can make room for Dayyalu :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom