Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 9 - Dominion Zen Masters [ AUXILIARY BOOSTERS IGNITED ]

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm fairly sure that if Ermor decided to switch sides I'd have an easier time winning this by just getting the fish throne and the skeleton one. They're closer.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
ruaohu.jpg

Seems like I'm not the only one who lost motivation. Postponed 24h.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The game itself is more like WW1, every tiny province you want to take, uses up 5 turns planning/scripting/breaking down walls. Not to mention the endless convoys of shuffling troops.

If they add any one thing to dom 5 it should be the ability to set way points and just let your armies go there, fastest root possible.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Right guise, that's it. I'm done. It takes me several hours to make each turn in this game, and I have to force myself into doing this, since I've lost interest long ago. Usually muh brains make this "background work" for all my games, meaning that even when I don't play my turns - I think about them in the back of my head, coming up with decisions and stuff. Then I just launch the game and make stuff that I've already decided upon.

But this one is different. I have no idea what I'm doing at this point, and no desire to think about it at all. I'll wait 24h and switch to AI - there is absolutely no point in looking for a sub. In fact, I tried to find one in rus community not so long ago - Lizzurd witnessed my attempt. The common replies were:

- Late game MA Pythium? No, thanks.
- Fighting against Ashdod-Ermor alliance? LOL
- Malakal plays Ashdod? Go fuck yourself.

I won't even bother with tagging people. Decline 9 is a mess. BUTT, if by some insane coincidence there is a 'Dexer that REALLY hates himself - feel free to take over my nation. It's big, and so far it has been stable.

bskfsq.jpg

Sure, there was one major fuck-up on my side, but it didn't take long to recover somewhat.

ybekpk.jpg

Research is pretty much finished - all schools are at lvl 8-9.

There is no way you can win this game, Ashdod cannot be countered at this point. The only reason to even bother is to experiment with lategame Pythium and some rare stuff you don't see in every game.

Like these, from the top of my head:

Djinn - arguably the best mage in the game.

kbyxdb.jpg

Won't make any global difference, but might be fun to fuck around with.

Doge with the Gift of Kurgi. Fear 43, flying, ethereal.

zblnbl.jpg

Unfortunately, afflicted as fuck and a bit far from action - needs a few turns to be properly prepared and deployed. I can't be arsed to endure any more turns of this.

Phat Arch Angel.

hhotjl.jpg

He was supposed to be Prophetised this turn, but I misclicked and Prophetised a random dude instead - that alone can tell smth about how much I'm tired of this game.

Insane S8 caster.

haousd.jpg

Sometimes he comes back to his senses, so you might try to go for Arcane Nexus again. Ashdod will insta-dispel it, of course, like he did already. And then Nicholas will be butthurt and go insane for several more turns, doing heretic preaching in the cap, or destroying labs and temples. Fun.

Seraph is probably a better investment of pearls, but just like the Djinn, it won't make a difference against Ashdod-Ermor alliance.

And that's it. Any takers? Extending 24h in case a madman will rise for the challenge. If not, I'll go AI. Congrats to Malakal.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well if you do go AI may as well end the game since theres 0% chance of AI defending your two thrones.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well if you do go AI may as well end the game since theres 0% chance of AI defending your two thrones.

It's not like I can defend my UW Throne either. It's not even fortified - you could take it over long ago with teleporting Tartarians/Golems and whatnot.

I tried but the FUCKING map shows the icon on the land. Seriously thats both wrong and hilarious - wrong because fucked me up a bit and hilarious because I nailed your magi province instead.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
hilarious because I nailed your magi province instead.

And here I was wondering how the FUCK could you POSSIBLY know where it is? You've beelined and nailed it right after I found the site. That's some extrasensory level of skill.

Edit: pic related. Indeed, seems like the Throne is on the surface. :lol:

hfgsfa.jpg

Lizzurd

Cipher
I don't see any problems with thrones. They are always on the left-top corner of a province. And of course map borders have nothing in similar with real provinces. Note: Each province is simply a dot and when you click anywhere on map it will select the closest dot.

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, I meant to hold as long as I can as a matter of honor, but only with the hope that Grimwulf would eventually come to our aid. If he's quitting, I think the game can be said to be officially over :)

Congratulation to Malakal! A clean and decisive win. Would love to hear more about your and other people's experiences.

For my part, after my expansion was blocked by that UW throne I felt forced to attack Atlantis, and spend most of the rest of the game struggling to beat his lobsters. After I finally did, the big players far outstripped me in power and there wasn't much I could do, globally. I did kill one of Malakal's SCs through incredible luck with Paralyze, so at least I did a bit. Thanks for the game everyone!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
That is kind of my feeling as well. Without Pythium there is no chance. Where before there was maybe 10% chance(and maybe 15% when Agartha/Pan were still around).

This game was kind of boring for me, really. Only a couple real battles(one with Agartha, one with Ashdod). Was playing catch up the whole time and that is never fun(no owl quills or hammers when I took over, on Caelum, with an Earth Pretender).

Caelum is interesting though, but wish I had access to the Daevas and more gems. Twiceborn Seraph wights are kinda fun, but didn't get to use them. Spamming Corpse Constructs is cool, I guess. Some other stuff, oh well.

Edit: Oh and stockpiling cheap ass BoLW with Ice Crafters + Water Bracelet + Hammer. Or having Water Bracelets for two gems! Every W1 can be a W2 for practically nothing. Not that there's much more to be done there, but they can cast Ice Elementals with a couple gems at least and then quicken them, or have the ability to do ice strike though frozen heart is pretty good anyways.

Edit2: And for those who want to see what the birds were up to in the north, at the end. NOT MUCH.
aV7nSIf.jpg

Last edited:
Usually muh brains make this "background work" for all my games, meaning that even when I don't play my turns - I think about them in the back of my head, coming up with decisions and stuff. Then I just launch the game and make stuff that I've already decided upon.

This background work thing is annoying. I'd like to be able to turn on my dominoins brain, do the turn, turn off dominions brain. Instead my thoughts are being invaded by "how to fit a vanjarl" and such even when I'm supposed to be concentrating on something else.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well a few select points from my game:

My start was really really really bad, smack in the middle of wastes and mountains. I'd trade it with Ermor in a heartbeat, he got all the farms and the green. Only good thing was relative distance to other players - and the fact that Agartha was busy and couldn't expand well. Pan just failed at expansion in my opinion, no idea why they didnt go further south. Anyway got a lot of shit land. Little gold but decent gem income, mainly in earth, some good astral and water and death.

I didn't feel the need to attack anyone fast, mainly because it was so goddamn far to get anywhere. Made peace with Ermor (who could be a huge pain in the ass early), Agartha and Pan were busy. The fact that Agartha and birds went to war early and that Ermor was constantly threatened from the north secured my position at the start.

My strategy was the classic construction for lanterns into enchantment globals rush into conjuration 9 for the tartarians. Got there rather fast and started summoning tarts, who didnt, in the end, do much. But I had quite a lot of tarts.

As far as diplomacy goes fueling the flames of war everywhere was my goal, didn't have to do much for that to happen.

Diversity was achieved with lore masters I found, one lucked out and found azure mages that secured my W, got gnomes off Pan so that gave me N, summoned faerie queens gave me A. Didnt have much A income but W was rather solid for a non W nation.

Ultimately my wars with Pan and Agartha were very one sided due to overwhelming power on my side. Pythium, who ate two players and was also huge and rich, was obviously my biggest enemy. That having said his push to reach me was doomed to fail because we were on different sides of the map. One AE lore master decisively won me our battle, not sure how it would go otherwise. BUT I did have a tartarian cyclops with AE at that point, he would be waiting in the fort if lore master failed. Maybe the lore master wasnt that important at all? We will never know.

Arcane Nexus was the biggest threat at the end, I was spending a lot of gems every turn (30D for tarts, 40N for making them commanders, then we got forging for around 15W and 20-30E), fortunately first dispel made Pythium hesitant. He also didnt have a late game plan, no high D for tartarians, no real blood economy, his troops getting weaker and weaker with time.

I think we could get some fight out of the game still but there is no point in prolonging games people hate playing right? So good game everyone.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I could have won that battle with Ashdod, but as it often happens, the solution came to my mind too late. Had a lot of scouts in my stack (12, I believe?) and a shitton of banefire crossbows, If I equipped all my scouts with those and sneaked them under your patrolling army, you would kill yourself with EQ and RoS, since you discover one scout at a time. At least that Lore Master would die and a solid chunk of your troops, not to mention all those combat gems wasted for nothing.

But I don't think it would matter in the end. Your position was vastly superior, and the only nation that had any chances of slowing you down (Ermor) was basically enslaved by you. Well played, both technically and diplo-wise.

:bravo:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom