Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scaling

MetalCraze

Arcane
A few days ago Old Games (a community where people still know something about RPGs unlike Codex) posted a nice review of Skyrim and reading it yesterday it actually dawned on me.

Remember I complained about how easy it's to complete every possible quest I was getting with a mage that improved nothing but mana with a dual-handed greataxe? That it was so piss easy killing everything in dungeons with that greataxe while being that said mage and dressed in a 0 armour robes? And why all loot found in dungeons was always equal or worse to what I had? (in fact shop owners had better items than quest bosses). And that killing a dragon, the DRAGON that whole gameworld pisses their pants when talking about, was so ridiculously easy at level 3?

It actually makes perfect sense now. Everything quest-related is level scaled in Skyrim. Just like in Oblivion. The only difference is that Bethesda placed spawnpoints for certain types of monsters (but not in quest dungeons) which will one-shot-kill you if your level is less than a level needed to fight them upon getting which you suddenly start killing the fuck out of them. But if you are lower no matter which kind of armour you are wearing you can't do shit but instadie. Even though the game has no stats for anything but health which you get at +10 per level (if you even invest points into it!)

So here's a question to our resident pseudo-RPG fans that are 60% of the Codex according to one of the recent polls:

Why do you bitch at Oblivion's level scaling while loving the fuck out of Skyrim's one?

Captain Shrek

Re: Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scalin

Actually I don't. I would rather have the scaling removed entirely; areas have prefixed levels as they are in some cases and put in some REAL Stats like strength, intelligence and Constitution etc, not to mention making combat play out like DMOMAM by making enemies learn and USE the actual talent tree that you have access to in an effective manner to actually make them challenging without HP bloat or illogical damage.

They can already shout. But that's all they can do.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Skyway - Making Shit up since 2007™

the above said:
:lol:

"GUYZ MY NEW FRIENDS ARE COOLER THAN YOU GUYZ"

Hopefully he will stay there. God it would be glorious incline on the forums.

attackfighter

Magister
that's so true Skyway, everyone claims level scaling isn't so bad and then points to giants and mammoths 1 shot killing them as examples. truly you are a genius to figure this out.

Gord

Arcane
Oh, hi Skyway!

Just popping in in between binge-playing Skyrim, I guess?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So Bethesda cribbed the "level-as-a-stat" idea from the original release of Divinity 2? That would be funny.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That Codexers run out like ADHD kids with an attention span of a gold fish to buy/steal Skyrim and with the enthusiasm of a retard with ADHD except it to not be like Obllvion, a game they hate with the passion only a ADHD kid can muster, is the true sign of the decline of the Codex.

Why not wait for patches and mods to improve the game, instead of playing a game you hate and whining about it?
Didn't you learn anything from Oblivion?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm starting to think that Skyway actually is everything he accuses the Codex of being, specifically in regards to slurping up the new shit and loving every minute of it. I also think that it's his greatest fear to be a declinefag like that so he tries to convince himself he hates it, then he projects his actual feelings on the games as some sort of Codex consensus (which is almost the exact opposite of whatever kind of consensus the Codex could ever have).

Keep playing and loving Skyrim, Skyway. Don't worry, we'll pretend you hated it, too.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
But does Old Games talk about trannies being forced to eat shit? This is important.

[img:98c586ok]http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/images/avatars/gallery/Forgotten%20Realms%20-%20Unlimited%20Adventures/FRUA20.gif[/img] said:
Sitting in my throne up in the sky
You better watch out, guy.
Anyone who comes this way will die.

No one in this world can understand
Who I am
That is why I'm my own biggest fan.

Do you know what it's like to be built this way?
With only the power to push others away?

Insects crawl below, they do not know
My anger grows
I'll return in full everything that they're owed

Lives on this earth I grow tired of
Death from above
The annihilation of everyone you know and love

MetalCraze

Arcane
So only one comment that is adequate and it came from a 2011 member no less?

While the rest are so full of sweet sweet pain?

So help me understand something - an average Codexer has a very low IQ and is incapable of posting a normal response, only crying about bad skyway shitting on his party?

But those people in Skyrim discussion at RPS are so dumb and we will make fun of them since they can post something else but baaaw

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's cool now to hate Skyway, I see? OMG ITS SKYWAY WHATEVER HE SAIS SUCKS BECAUZ HE DOESN"T LIEK MY FAVORIET GAEM.

But, hey, apparently it comes from the same shitstain cocksuckers who think that BLOBERT is like totally deep man.. I mean.. he says stuff like "why u play if u don't like" or "you hated it then but you like it now". How deep is that, man? How deep, I ask you? And parodying the Codex? Fucking brilliant. And deep. So deep.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FeelTheRads said:
It's cool now to hate Skyway, I see? OMG ITS SKYWAY WHATEVER HE SAIS SUCKS BECAUZ HE DOESN"T LIEK MY FAVORIET GAEM.

But, hey, apparently it comes from the same shitstain cocksuckers who think that BLOBERT is like totally deep man.. I mean.. he says stuff like "why u play if u don't like" or "you hated it then but you like it now". How deep is that, man? How deep, I ask you? And parodying the Codex? Fucking brilliant. And deep. So deep.

Irony. While BLOBERT actually realizes his parody you and Skyway are oblivious to your own. You've become parodies/stereotypes of yourselves. Congratulations.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Got anything else besides one-worders?

Irony what? Do you even know what it means?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FeelTheRads said:
Got anything else besides one-worders?

Irony what? Do you even know what it means?

I explained it in the edit. Try not to be such an angst ridden lower twenty something staring at the thread mashing F5. :M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait.. what? BLOBERT realizes he is parodying the Codex? Clever fella, that one, being able to tell what he's doing.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
FeelTheRads said:
Are we supposed to perform fellatio on him as a reward for his edginess?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
FeelTheRads said:
Wait.. what? BLOBERT realizes he is parodying the Codex? Clever fella, that one, being able to tell what he's doing.

What the fuck are you talking about?

You missed the key part:

...you and Skyway are oblivious to your own. You've become parodies/stereotypes of yourselves. Congratulations.

Here's a crazy thought. If people like you and Skyway don't want to sully yourselves debating with the Untermenschen perhaps you could go post on another forum? But... you won't because the reality is you crave the attention you get by winding up random internet strangers.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Clockwork Knight said:
[img:3fz72ep6]http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/images/avatars/gallery/Forgotten%20Realms%20-%20Unlimited%20Adventures/FRUA20.gif[/img] said:
Sitting in my throne up in the sky
You better watch out, guy.
Anyone who comes this way will die.

No one in this world can understand
Who I am
That is why I'm my own biggest fan.

Insects crawl below, they do not know
My anger grows
I'll return in full everything that they're owed

Lives on this earth I grow tired of
Death from above
The annihilation of everyone you know and love

The Protomen >>> The Megas

Eyeball

Arcane
Re: Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scalin

Captain Shrek said:
Actually I don't. I would rather have the scaling removed entirely; areas have prefixed levels as they are in some cases and put in some REAL Stats like strength, intelligence and Constitution etc, not to mention making combat play out like DMOMAM by making enemies learn and USE the actual talent tree that you have access to in an effective manner to actually make them challenging without HP bloat or illogical damage.

They can already shout. But that's all they can do.
I think they actually DO make at least limited use of it. Pretty sure I've been shieldbashed a few times, but the truth is that there really aren't that many different combat tricks for the AI to use against you. It's a very basic hack and slash, really.

Level scaling is indeed le suck, but at least it is far, FAR less obnoxious than in Oblivion. It's still annoying to get to the level where you butcher the basic "bandits" in one blow only to find yourself bumped back to square one when fighting "bandit highwaymen." At least they're not wearing glass armour anymore, though.

The level scaling does keep the game challenging throughout, at least for a melee character, doesn't break immersion to badly and allows you to explore everywhere from the get-go, so as far as scaling is concerned, I'd say Skyrim does a real good job at implementing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom