Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scaling

crufty

Arcane
Bros

I am not smart enough to identify level scaling. I really think that there isn't that much

Some treasure boxes are, some are not

Some monsters are, some are not

complaining about one hit kills? Wtf is this popamole shit

Play your character to their strengths.

When some dude with a two handed sword runs at you and swings, BLOCK. Oh, no block skill? Develop it.

Can't hurt them bad guys?

Develop your weapon perks. The very first one is a damage multiplier. Smith the weapon to a finer grade. Develop your armor perks.

My pc is a thief. I love how I have developed a thief, and I can't play like Im a fighter. I just assaulted the xyz location. Dousing torches. Luring ai away from me with arrows, slitting throats in the darkness. Whoops got discovered. Sprinted away, hid. Took em out with arrows. Dumped the bodies into the water. Not that the ai recognizes dead bodies.

If I had tried to wade in with my dagger, light armor...I would have been killed pretty quickly. *like I should have*

Now,..wishes for new features? Ai doesn't seem to be alarmed by dead bodies or retreat when under attack by arrows.

kris

Arcane
crufty said:
Dumped the bodies into the water. Not that the ai recognizes dead bodies.

Now,..wishes for new features? Ai doesn't seem to be alarmed by dead bodies or retreat when under attack by arrows.

The AI is alarmed by dead bodies, but it doesn't come to much. When they see a dead body they run around and look for you.

but it is really lulzy when you put an arrow in the back of their head and when they can't find you they say "I guess I am just imagining things" :D

Eyeball

Arcane
Gregz said:
Crispy said:
Stop playing on Pussy difficulty level
This

Also it's difficult to make a sandbox game without some kind of level scaling. Otherwise...

Gamer: "I want to go...there!"

Developers: "No, you can't go there, you're not strong enough...in fact you can only really handle going there."

Gamer: "OMG another rpg on rails, where is my open world!?!?" /ragequit
True, actually. I remember how several posters got butthurt about the way New Vegas gave you the option of ignoring the main quest directions to head south and instead heading north to NV but put tons of cazadores and deathclaws on the road there that would smoke most low-level characters.

Some people want to have their cake and eat it.

Derper

Prophet
NPC: You might wanna wait, that desert is pretty dangerous.
PC: I still wanna try it, I feel strong and all that.
NPC: Well... Ok.
(PC gets raped and reloads)

Tadaaaaaaaa! No need to thank me folks, it's all in a days hard goddamn work as an entrepeneur, game developer and gentleman!

attackfighter

Magister
Stakhanov said:
The level scaling is toned down, which is immediately apparent to anyone who has played Skyrim. Some enemies are vastly weaker and others stronger

I've noticed some enemies being vastly weaker (I was running into the occasional rat or wolf at level 20 after all) but asides from the giants and mammoths I never came across any enemies who were significantly stronger than the norm. Everything in Skyrim was beatable at the level I encountered it at, there was really nothing out there that presented an actual threat.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:
Stop playing as mage

Fixed, playing as warior I'm getting my ass tastfulyraped repeattly If I don't use tactics, run headlong into battle or raise too many noncombat skills on medium didiculty.... which is OK as quoting ingame book cemeteries are full of medicore swordsmen. Now I'm regreting every point in alchemy, sneaking and enchanting I doubled in the begining... those are not warrior skills. Game which finaly rewards you for actual RP and careful skill allocation is :decline: Typical Skyway.

attackfighter

Magister
Ed123 said:
attackfighter said:
Stakhanov said:
The level scaling is toned down, which is immediately apparent to anyone who has played Skyrim. Some enemies are vastly weaker and others stronger

I've noticed some enemies being vastly weaker (I was running into the occasional rat or wolf at level 20 after all) but asides from the giants and mammoths I never came across any enemies who were significantly stronger than the norm. Everything in Skyrim was beatable at the level I encountered it at, there was really nothing out there that presented an actual threat.

Strange, I've heard countless stories of lvl 15+ playas being one-shotted by random bandits. I've been in more-or-less the same boat as you, in that I've never had to retreat back to town and gather new potions or anything like that (Adept difficulty). I've had to reload and retry a few fights, at worst. The only encounter I had serious trouble with was a cave full of weak thugs and a single bandit leader with a huge hp pool, who repeatedly two-shotted me with his iron warhammer :retarded: Eventually I just used up a scroll of atronarch summoning to distract him whilst power attacking and chugging stamina potions. After that, most difficult fights gave me a bit of a Dark Messiah vibe with my bow and stamina-dependant sword-and-board.

Actually now that I think of it there was one enemy who repeatedly one shot killed me. It was some random Draugr Wight with a bow. Every arrow was insta kill, so I beat him by dodging all of his arrows while shooting firebolts from afar. When I checked his corpse to see what kind of bow was doing 150+ damage to me per shot, it was just some generic crap bow that did like 20 damage or something.

Still, enemies like that aren't representative of level scaling it seems. I've only encountered one so far, and I've never come across someone who could two-shot kill me like you and others have. Maybe it's just luck or something, but my own encounters with level scaling have lead me to believe that there's no consistant challenge in the game.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Re: Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scalin

Someone find the forum he's on about, i bet he's making a complete nonce of himself trying to fit in. "i completed kotor 7 times... Yikes!"

MetalCraze said:
A few days ago Old Games (a community where people still know something about RPGs unlike Codex) posted a nice review of Skyrim and reading it yesterday it actually dawned on me.

Remember I complained about how easy it's to complete every possible quest I was getting with a mage that improved nothing but mana with a dual-handed greataxe? That it was so piss easy killing everything in dungeons with that greataxe while being that said mage and dressed in a 0 armour robes? And why all loot found in dungeons was always equal or worse to what I had? (in fact shop owners had better items than quest bosses). And that killing a dragon, the DRAGON that whole gameworld pisses their pants when talking about, was so ridiculously easy at level 3?

It actually makes perfect sense now. Everything quest-related is level scaled in Skyrim. Just like in Oblivion. The only difference is that Bethesda placed spawnpoints for certain types of monsters (but not in quest dungeons) which will one-shot-kill you if your level is less than a level needed to fight them upon getting which you suddenly start killing the fuck out of them. But if you are lower no matter which kind of armour you are wearing you can't do shit but instadie. Even though the game has no stats for anything but health which you get at +10 per level (if you even invest points into it!)

So here's a question to our resident pseudo-RPG fans that are 60% of the Codex according to one of the recent polls:

Why do you bitch at Oblivion's level scaling while loving the fuck out of Skyrim's one?

Why are you playing skyrim.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ed123 said:
First CS-made mod I get is gonna halve or disable levelling via "support" skills like speech, smithing or alchemy.

There's a reason in why Rl Soldiers don't waste their time on aquiring non combat related skills, jack of the trades sucks, but on the other hand since speach and couple of other skills are never used in dungeons they should not count into NPCs dificulty only martial and Magic skills should... IF it was used atleast to determine how many fallowers you can have like Charisma was in Fallout and Arcanium... playing diplomat/merchant/lorekeeker who fights with via his guards would intresting for a change but TES were always combat oriented. Primary/secindary skills from Morrowind/Dagerfall were sweet.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

fizzelopeguss said:
Someone find the forum he's on about, i bet he's making a complete nonce of himself trying to fit in. "i completed kotor 7 times... Yikes!"
Giving it about a year until he starts whining that he hates it there too.

Stakhanov

Augur
attackfighter said:

At the very least the presence of extremely weak enemies falsifies the claim that Skyrim is the same as Oblivion. Besides the giants, frost trolls at lower levels can be quite brutal. Also the Dragon priests, some particular encounters such as a horde of Redguards for a quest and particularly Forsworn briarhearts prove to be a challenge. Mileage will vary with the various bosses as well. I would disagree that everything can be beaten at every level, but I can see how it might seem like it. The challenge isn't consistent enough to always be apparent, and when it does emerge it seems too random to be the product of good design such as the brutal encounters in Gothic that require careful progression. But at least the level scaling is toned down. I wouldn't say this makes Skyrim vastly different from Oblivion, it just makes it less of a joyless plod.

meh

Educated
I know I am logged out of codex, when I see a skyway thread.

MetalCraze

Arcane
attackfighter said:
Actually now that I think of it there was one enemy who repeatedly one shot killed me. It was some random Draugr Wight with a bow. Every arrow was insta kill, so I beat him by dodging all of his arrows while shooting firebolts from afar. When I checked his corpse to see what kind of bow was doing 150+ damage to me per shot, it was just some generic crap bow that did like 20 damage or something.

But you see - apparently the amount of butthurt about me pointing out all the hypocrisy of the 'Dex in their bashing of games they never played (but read that it's cool to bash them - like Oblivion) causes people to find completely dumb fanboy excuses for Skyrim like one of the posts above which is all like "Oblivion would've been a great game if it had one shot monsters until you reach level X even though they have level-scaled loot too, but alas Oblivion is totally dumbed down game!1"

Even in that discussion at RPS people were posting arguments, no matter how wrong, and yet most Codex retards can't even post a coherent thought, only baawwwing - yet make fun of RPS at the same time while also loving Skyrim themselves.

It's not me thinking I'm smarter than the Codex, it's Codex being so fucking dumb.

Bruticis

Who's more dumb, the retard or the retard trying to convince the retard he's a retard?

Wunderpurps

Educated
halflingbarbarian said:
You are assuming that is what is going on. Until it can be proven, I would rather just put it down to equipment and perks (in the case of unchanging max hp) that might have mitigated more damage. Read what you wrote and tell me it isn't a huge leap of faith to suggest an engine that specifically fails at playing with numbers would entertain something so unnecessarily complex like damage dealt to PC dependent on level - again, which was never stated ANYWHERE until your post. Wow.

Edit: Okay just read your last post and realised you are another one that haven't played the game, and have gathered most of your gameplay information based on some less-than-accurate posts on the Codex. In before 'lolol why wud I waste mai time playin it. imma jsut posting cuz its the truths and u cant handle it'.

Is there not one dumbass on the codex that knows how to read? Or did you just say it's skyway lolol what a dumbass lolol and then start posting bullshit without bothering to read it?

All I repeated back is EXACTLY what OP said, which is pretty obvious and shouldn't require explanation, and based on what he said seems to be true. And immediately guys leap and say things he said is untrue including what the devs said absolutely was true in like 100 interviews, and implying he said shit he never did. They admit there's leveling, what skyjob implies is instakills based on level, and since this changes once you level up regardless of health it's a very reasonable conclusion. And no it's not complicated it's EASY. That's the point. They traded one popamole thing for another even worse one which amounts to glass walls.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Admiral jimbob said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Giving it about a year until he starts whining that he hates it there too.

Wunderpurps said:
halflingbarbarian said:
You are assuming that is what is going on. Until it can be proven, I would rather just put it down to equipment and perks (in the case of unchanging max hp) that might have mitigated more damage. Read what you wrote and tell me it isn't a huge leap of faith to suggest an engine that specifically fails at playing with numbers would entertain something so unnecessarily complex like damage dealt to PC dependent on level - again, which was never stated ANYWHERE until your post. Wow.

Edit: Okay just read your last post and realised you are another one that haven't played the game, and have gathered most of your gameplay information based on some less-than-accurate posts on the Codex. In before 'lolol why wud I waste mai time playin it. imma jsut posting cuz its the truths and u cant handle it'.

Is there not one dumbass on the codex that knows how to read? Or did you just say it's skyway lolol what a dumbass lolol and then start posting bullshit without bothering to read it?

All I repeated back is EXACTLY what OP said, which is pretty obvious and shouldn't require explanation, and based on what he said seems to be true. And immediately guys leap and say things he said is untrue including what the devs said absolutely was true in like 100 interviews, and implying he said shit he never did. They admit there's leveling, what skyjob implies is instakills based on level, and since this changes once you level up regardless of health it's a very reasonable conclusion. And no it's not complicated it's EASY. That's the point. They traded one popamole thing for another even worse one which amounts to glass walls.

So let me understand what you are posting. Skyway plays Skyrim. Skyway knows there's level-scaling. Skyway writes on Codex about his experience. His experience is debunked as exaggerated in another thread, and by countless other players of the same game. Wunderpurps wanders into thread. Wunderpurps repeats Skyrim's initial, unsubstantiated claim and agree with the conclusion, whether it was right or wrong, and decided to write a post supporting it, without playing Skyrim. Everything falls apart. Wunderpurps, who never touched the game, continued to post although his opinion, solely based on Skyway's debunked conclusion, without care of its irrelevance. Gets called out. Calls the rest of Codex dumbasses.

There is a very big difference between a level-scaling system based on incremental damage/hp/stats in general vs one that discriminates based on level and materialises through 1-shot kills, which disappears after level threshold. The latter being what you and Skyway are instigating, or at least being confused about. Anyhow, if you just want to post on Skyrim just because it's cool, then say so, so nobody will take you seriously.

Both ways you are fucked:
1) You are innocent, you are just supporting the OP's conclusion because it makes sense although you would never touch Skyrim. So you are parroting the OP for its own sake, to increase post-count (?).

2) You genuinely feel that the system in place is what the OP is describing, and feel the need to let others know. Well, you are wrong. Sorry.

UserNamer

Cipher
BLOBERT said:
BROS AND TO BE VERY SERUOUS THE MAIN REASON SKYWAYS SUCKS IS BECAUSE HE PROVIDES ZERO POSITIVE CONTENT TO THE RPG FORUM

THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS FORUM IS THAT THE ACCEPTANCE OF CRITICISM IS SEEN AS A CARTE BLANCHE TO RIP APART EVERYTHING

BROS CRITISIZE EVERYTHING WITHOUT ADDING ANY POSITIVE CONTENT ABOUT THINGS THEY MAY HAVE SEEN AND LIKED OR NEW THINGS OTHER BROS MIGHT APRRECIATE

THE REASON BEING IS THAT IT IS MUCH EASIER TO BE COMPLETELY NEGATIVE AND FEIGN INTELLIGENCE THAN IT IS TO ACTUALLY PRESENT A BALANCED INTELLIGENT OPINION ON SOMETHING

THE BEGINNING TOPIC COULD EASILY BE PARAPHRASED AS SKYRIM SUCKS LIKE OBLIVION AND YOU ARE ALL FAGS

hmmm excuse me but don't you think using you "cart blanche" is out of character, bro? Also this seem too much of an elaborate, coherent ranting (not saying I agree with it), I'm not an expert on you but it really seems not consistent with your character, it's annoying me... IMMERSION: BROKEN. Rpg codex is a shitty rpg with leveled content, FINAL VERDICT

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
attackfighter said:

But you see - apparently the amount of butthurt about me pointing out all the hypocrisy of the 'Dex in their bashing of games they never played (but read that it's cool to bash them - like Oblivion) causes people to find completely dumb fanboy excuses for Skyrim like one of the posts above which is all like "Oblivion would've been a great game if it had one shot monsters until you reach level X even though they have level-scaled loot too, but alas Oblivion is totally dumbed down game!1"

Even in that discussion at RPS people were posting arguments, no matter how wrong, and yet most Codex retards can't even post a coherent thought, only baawwwing - yet make fun of RPS at the same time while also loving Skyrim themselves.

It's not me thinking I'm smarter than the Codex, it's Codex being so fucking dumb.

If this doesn't deserve a dumbfuck! tag then I don't know what will.

They don't give out tags anymore. It hurts the acessibility of the forum to have new users coming and having to wonder why some guy is considered the CRPG Pope, Servant Mind, Dumbfuck, etc. A simple streamlining to make sure everyone can enjoy their cinematic experience at the Codex.

Phelot

Arcane
WHAT THE FUCK HOW DO I GET THE RIFTEN HOUSE IN THIS PIECE OF SHIT GAME AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I fucking did everything I can in that fucking town and no fucking option. Why the fuck do you need to do everyone's retarded laundry list just to buy a fucking house? Is this some kind of new economical system based on favors, but still requiring money??? FFS can you imagine this in real life? Having to find 30 different items for 4 people and THEN have to pay for the privelage of owning some house? WTF DOES THIS FUCKING GAME WANT FROM ME????????

OK, look, I tried finding some shit hole tavern called "Frozen Hearth" in Winterhold, but for the life of me I CANT FIND THIS FAGGOT TAVERN TO FIND SOME DUMB CUNTS INGOT OR WHATEVER CANT I JUST GIVE HER A 1000 DOLLARS JUST TO GET IT OVER WITH FFS>????!!

GOD DAMMIT

If this game isn't a shining example of why some basic C&C or whatever the fuck you want to call it is needed, then I don't know what else is. So much arbitrary retardedness. "LOLZ WE KNOW YOU STOLE THIS ITEM FROM HALFWAY ACROSS THE GAME WORLD WONT ACCEPT IT LOL" or "LOL DID YOU WANT TO ASK ME ABOUT HOUSES? LOL YOU CANT YOU HAVE TO DO SOME MORE RANDOM SHIT AND THEN MAGIC WILL ALLOW ME TO SPEAK WITH YOU ABOUT IT"

FFS I don't even know why I want this fucking house. It's more just the principle at this point. Congrats Bethesda you have caused me more butthurt then anything else I can remember.

Renegen

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
They don't give out tags anymore. It hurts the acessibility of the forum to have new users coming and having to wonder why some guy is considered the CRPG Pope, Servant Mind, Dumbfuck, etc. A simple streamlining to make sure everyone can enjoy their cinematic experience at the Codex.

So this begs the question, if the Codex was a movie or a AAA cinematic narrative action game, which one would it be?

that movie where the bus must keep going faster and faster or it explodes

it's predictable, you've seen it a thousand times and yet you don't change the channel when it's on because you keep expecting it to crash and burn

Gregz

Arcane
the above said:
WHAT THE FUCK HOW DO I GET THE RIFTEN HOUSE IN THIS PIECE OF SHIT GAME AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I fucking did everything I can in that fucking town and no fucking option. Why the fuck do you need to do everyone's retarded laundry list just to buy a fucking house? Is this some kind of new economical system based on favors, but still requiring money??? FFS can you imagine this in real life? Having to find 30 different items for 4 people and THEN have to pay for the privelage of owning some house? WTF DOES THIS FUCKING GAME WANT FROM ME????????

OK, look, I tried finding some shit hole tavern called "Frozen Hearth" in Winterhold, but for the life of me I CANT FIND THIS FAGGOT TAVERN TO FIND SOME DUMB CUNTS INGOT OR WHATEVER CANT I JUST GIVE HER A 1000 DOLLARS JUST TO GET IT OVER WITH FFS>????!!

GOD DAMMIT

If this game isn't a shining example of why some basic C&C or whatever the fuck you want to call it is needed, then I don't know what else is. So much arbitrary retardedness. "LOLZ WE KNOW YOU STOLE THIS ITEM FROM HALFWAY ACROSS THE GAME WORLD WONT ACCEPT IT LOL" or "LOL DID YOU WANT TO ASK ME ABOUT HOUSES? LOL YOU CANT YOU HAVE TO DO SOME MORE RANDOM SHIT AND THEN MAGIC WILL ALLOW ME TO SPEAK WITH YOU ABOUT IT"

FFS I don't even know why I want this fucking house. It's more just the principle at this point. Congrats Bethesda you have caused me more butthurt then anything else I can remember.

Hahaha, that's some funny shit man. :lol:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
the above said:

Winterhold....winterhold with all of 3 buildings?

UmJO6.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom