Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline of the Codex: Skyrim has Oblivion's level scaling

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by MetalCraze, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Oriebam Formerly M4AE1BR0-something

Oriebam
    the sarah silverman quotes were funnier

^ Top  
  2. abija Liturgist

abija
    I went with a lvl 45 super ninja assassin to the mammoths in the middle of the map and got 1 shot by some ability. I managed to kill one of those 1v1 with a lvl 13 block warrior. Also the mammoths were level 38 in both cases.
    He talked out of his ass, simple as that. Just as when he was explaining how block is useless and clicking fast is better.

^ Top  
  3. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Meh, I've actually been pretty shit in the last few months, if not the last year. But I also think I used to be great, because back in the day I'd read my own posts all the time, they're the funniest, most flippant shit I've ever read on an internet forum. However, I've been deflated by fuckers like you who give me a nice reputation. I can't be funny if I have fan girls, it makes me feel bad about being vindicative and insulting. I need a "me agaisnt them" mentality, otherwise we're all jerking each others off, and what's the point? Wit comes from antagonism - not to say that antagonism is wit, of course. And about skyway, I think he wants to be funny too (he does get the antagonism part down), but he cares to much. You can't care that much and be funny at the same time. Well maybe you can, but I have no idea how. The kid is on a divine mission. Nobody cares more than him at this point, and he wants us all to care as much as he does. So far he's pretty much succeeding. I do enjoy the fact that he's pissing everyone off. I mean, nobody should give a damn about Skyrim and he still manages to make people care about this shit. Isn't it highly entertaining, at least indirectly?

^ Top  
  4. Stakhanov Augur

Stakhanov
    @Shannow

Someone believes Skyway, seriously? You've been misled by plausible half-truths; the OP is twisted by the usual butthurt agenda and subhuman liez.

From Halfling Barbarian in another post:

^ Top  
  5. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Gods, I should put halfing barbarian back on ignore simply for not getting to the fucking point. After reading that shit post twice and wasting prescious time:
    1. He doesn't say anything. He proposes (an incredibly convoluted way of) how to check skyway's claim without actually giving any results... :roll:
    And
    2. He misses the point, too. Even if he'd chosen a far simpler way of checking (Look for an enemy that 1,2,3 shots you in the early game. Save before the fight. Cheat and give yourself levels in 5 level steps without increasing HP and try the fight again after each increase. See whether the enemy suddenly stops 1,2,3 shotting you after a certain level. Post the results. There, that needed 4 sentences to explain, not fucking 4 paragraphs.), he still missed the point:
    Skyway nowhere claims that every enemy in the game is scaled that way. So experimenting on random guards is completely pointless...
    That's the closest anyone ITT got to actually refuting skyway's claims. The problem is that it's a little sketchy on the details and it's not conclusive proof of him being wrong. Perhaps the mammoths simply do enough damage to one shot somebody who hasn't invested in HP. Again, he didn't claim that every enemy was scaled that way.
    Anyway, gonna read the other thread. Perhaps they are more successful at shedding light.

^ Top  
  6. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    So we have to check every single enemy in the game or Skyway is right by default?

How about he just tell us which enemy scales like he says?

^ Top  
  7. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Because the discussion would have a definite, objective answer, and we cannot just have that.

:lol:

^ Top  
  8. Black Cat Prestigious Gentleman Magister

Black Cat
    @ Shannow

Not taking any sides here but the burden of proof is on Skyway, not on those who believe him to be full of shit.

^ Top  
  9. Redshirt #42 Augur

Redshirt #42
    This exactly. But in the end, he's lying anyway. I bet he's enjoying that piece of crap. You just can't have taste if you managed to replay Knights of the Old Republic seven fucking times.

^ Top  
  10. halflingbarbarian Scholar

halflingbarbarian
    This is still going on? Haha. And oh wow, I'm sorry I went to the trouble of actually testing troll claims and reported back here, next time we'll just let discussions run around in theoretical circles since some of you are so determined to let the argument float anyways.

Skyway: lol skyrim sux cos i think they use cheap method of level scaling i got 1 shot by X and later on X does significantly less dmg just cuz of my level.

Wunderpurps: hurrr.

Others: No. Here's what I experienced consistently...

Wunderpurps: derrrp. actualli skyway is sayin level FIGURES into the dmg calculation. o wait guyz don't hurt me i'm just reading skyway post and he seems reasonable though i havent played the game. wait wait wait i'm just ASKING if it's true.

Others: No. Here's what I experienced consistently...

-Proof against concept-

Shannow: heyz i don't read/search threads i pop around and if i can't find an answer to something i assume nobody can disprove skyway and skyrim sux.

Others: No. Somebody did testing...

Shannow: o lols too many words, doesn't make sense. lemme concoct a shorter method. oops i just wrote that out for KKK and didnt try it at all. gotcha guys. btw none of u understand skyway only i do.

@Shannow: There's a TL;DR section at the end, for those that can't/don't read and also those that like the style of groundless claims. And my 'results' are in the conclusion, without numbers. By your comment I am glad I didn't post the actual results anyways, so you can continue being deluded until you get off your lazy, entitled butt and do the testing yourself. (Clue: Your 4 sentence ingenious way of testing is wrong, and can't be done. Sorry.)

^ Top  
  11. Stakhanov Augur

Stakhanov
    HalflingBarbarian: :salute:
    Here's what I found experimenting with damage and levels in Skyrim using console commands: level has absolutely no effect on damage that I've found so far. I created a new character, a High Elf mage by the name of Mastermind (who better to defend TES' honour?) and put him through the grinder.

I pissed off some giants and predictably got moon launched. Set the level to 99 and also got moon launched. It's because they were doing ~150 damage a swing regardless of level. Put in some perks and attributes just to be thorough, besides the ones that would lead to damage mitigation obv., and again same damage. I also tested on human bandits/mages/bosses, spriggans, trolls, chauruses, falmers and mammoths. I'm running out of enemies that would prove Skyway to be even 5-10% correct. Perhaps a few draugr or human bosses might display this behaviour but so far everything has falsified Skyway's claim. Fuck playing any more though, I'm not playing through every ounce of content so I can prove this shit to be completely unfounded. There are enough things wrong with Skyrim that this is just diversionary bullshit.

TL:DR 3/5 to Skyway for getting me to waste my time with further rimming.

^ Top  
  12. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    You clearly don't know what a parody is. Maybe you should do some research.

Nah, it's fun reading retarded shit like "no real RPGs are made anymore so you have to like action RPGs now, otherwise you're a hater and you are really stupid and sad". You had at least one such post too, if I'm not mistaken. Cheers, bro, that's some deep shit.

^ Top  
  13. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Especially since Skyway has earned himself a very strong boy who cries wolf reputation when it comes to his complaints for games.

^ Top  
  14. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    ^ Top  
  15. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff-

^ Top  
  16. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Yep, after reading the other thread... Skyway, I am disappoint.
    Didn't try to defend or prove anything, and there were at least some posts that suggested that the level scaling was just the way Beth had said it would be (not that I'd condone that either...).

^ Top  
  17. Wyrmlord Arcane

Wyrmlord
    Here is what I don't get.

The topic is primarily about whether level scaling persists to a point that you can beat the main quest more easily at a lower level. It is allegedly not noticeable, because harder creatures exist outside of main quest, in spawn points across the world. Fine, so far so good. That's another debate.

The part that I don't get is the original poster saying that such and such dawned on him while he was reading a review for the game elsewhere. Excuse me? Why was the original poster not capable of noticing it himself immediately while playing the game? What's with this talk of another person's assistance required to notice a game's feature? Especially when he played the game himself. I just don't get it. If he was so invested in checking this feature and making a topic about it, I imagine he would have checked or seen it himself before coming to us.

I know, pointless digression, but it just made no sense to me. "Somebody told me something, and now I understand why this game is so bad"? He didn't say it like that in so many words, but in effect, it's no different.

^ Top  
  18. Guys. Guys.

Why do you think Skyrim has stopped posting?

^ Top  
  19. ksjav Scholar

ksjav
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
    inb4 busy finishing his 7th playthrough of Skyway

^ Top  
  20. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BRO YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT UNDERSTANDING COMMON EXPRESSIONS IN THE ENGLISH LANGAUGE LOLOLLOLOLOL

BRO I WILL GIVE YOU ENGLISH LESSONS YOUR GRAMMER AND SPELLING MAY GET WORSE BUT YOU WILL ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE

^ Top  
  21. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BRO AND I KNEWN SKYWYA WAS TOO POPAMOLE NOT TO PLAY SKYRIM

BROS LOLLOLOLOLOOLOL IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE ROLE OF DISCRIMINATING GAMER DONT PLAY EVERY PEACE OF SHIT GAME THAT COMES OUT LOLLOLOLLLOL AT PCTARDS

^ Top  
  22. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    necro of appropriate skyway thread to post about the decline that bethesda sold us:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron Edgy

l3loodAngel
    You mean you sold yourself to Bethesda.

^ Top  
  24. raw Arcane Patron

raw
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    well i didn't buy skyrim so all is good

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)