Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Twenty Nine - Conservative Christmas

Infinitum

Scholar
Mod! Mod! Mod! Als8 happy new years!

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
We have a split with a couple people saying they won't play with the mod.

I'm of the opinion that - Dominions is great because of the abundance of content, however most of us have seen most of it, without DE - there's certain things, that are "meta" e.g. vine shield, elves and certain things that are not that good, like Fire magic and most human nations.

It doesn't change the game fundamentally, it just gives you more toys.

Infinitum

Scholar
Welp. Anyhow, I'm not currently in any games so we could get this one started as well as a mod one? Also not adverse to having the mod one being a smaller game; something like 4 players.

Olinser

Savant
Well I can go ahead and post signups for the 2 person teams game I was talking about for those interested in an unmodded game? Probably be a week at least before I can really start but we can get signups going. I'll make a new thread now. EDIT - Thread is up.

As far as mods go - it's not the idea of mods that I don't like, it's that fundamentally you're having to learn the balance of a different game, and most mod creators are NOT GOOD at balancing entire games, so they dramatically unbalance it in favor of their pet race/character/spells/playstyles. I'm just not interested in learning how mods change the games, so I just ignore mod games.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
What the fuck is a Discord link

SILENCE THE DISCORD

Ok.

Considering that Olinser starts a Disciple game with more fresh blood for us to join, I guess we can proceed with this modded. I'll need more time to check what changes with TNN in the mod, and Isiloon you should refresh the OP with mod&map links and a proper game link.

Let's avoid other platforms, it's already difficult to organize a single game here.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
aaaaaaand since it's a DE game, I'll switch to Xibalba since I'm already Pan in another DE game and Xib gets some cool new pretender options.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, looking at the DM mod, it seems to have:
  • Over 1,000 new units!
  • Over 1,000 new spells!
That's way, way more than I care to try to figure out right now, so I'll pass on this one. You guys have fun and please don't flip-flop again :)

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
don't try to figure it out lol, just let go of being h4rdc0re meta pro g4m3r and play.

come on, what's a codex game without Sqeecoo

sqeecoo

Arcane
Ah, I guess you are right. I'll try the jinn, the desert spirits of honesty and forthrightness.

Dayyālu

Arcane
No.

I am completely exhausted and I didn't even check the mod. I will provide when I will reanimate, roughly in 8-10 hours. If I reanimate.

But I didn't kill anyone, so all is good.

sqeecoo

Arcane
The Jinn are stupid OP, although cool. Instead I'll take the weakish aborigines, cause I like the Dreamlands myth and the Maori. Didn't notice them initially.

For this game, I'll adopt the Maori mentality depicted below:

maxresdefault.jpg

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
ugh, Maori.

The Jinn guys aren't stupidly OP, they are about as good as Elves/Giants etc IMO

sqeecoo

Arcane
They have regular troops with stunning attacks and armor piercing bowmen competent in melee; they have extremely massable (extremely low res and rec cost) chaff with two attacks nearly on par with Pan's revelers; extremely cheap research monkeys and blood hunters that make them a fully-fledged blood vampire nation, and reasonably priced evocation mages with decent paths (F2 or A2).

All of that in addition to thugging and sacred stuff on par with the elves. I don't know how much they changed the basic nations, but they are basically vanheim with none of the disadvantages (poor blood hunting, poor research efficiency, very pricey battlemages, poor lategame). I really like the lore, but it feels super OP.

On the other hand the Aborigines are a bit silly and maybe UP with their insistence on not wearing any armor :D

Infinitum

Scholar
Not one to argue with 22 Precision ranged attacks, but the Jinn troops looks kind of weak if anything. No armor/ethereal and lowish defense means they have no staying power and no mitigation whatsoever vs ranged attacks. Also resist shock/fire blesses are abundant and utterly wrecks them. The ghul looks decent, especially the cheapo 2-path sorcerers and the Viziers look like decent thugs but I'm not sure if they can carry the nation by themselves.

That said Alchera just looks like it has literally nothing going for it (except maybe the 20 natural armor thug) so good luck with that :salute:

Infinitum

Scholar
GUIDE TO SUCCEED IN DECLINE GAMES IN THREE EASY STEPS

STEP 1: SIGN UP TO THE GAME
STEP 2: ???? ??????? ????????
??? ?? ???? ?? ??? ??????? ?? ?

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
EiD47EY.png

IT'S TIME! I AM READY! (Playing EA C'Tis which is Heat 2 Preference)

You could at least take Heat 3 which will hurt other people more than it hurts you, and use the 'free' 40 points on boosting your dominion or getting a better chassis/bless - although on Ctis you dont really need bless.

It also means that even in winter, your lands will always be warm, since cold blooded gives you some stupid crazy fatigue penalties in the cold

Last edited:

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
I changed the map to Steamed babies, because the map that was there didn't have a download link

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom