Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Degrees of Separation [new game written by Chris Avellone]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Innovative Storytelling
Discover the potential of dual protagonists Ember and Rime and follow a complex story by acclaimed video game writer Chris Avellone.

Not being an owner is hard.

Vatnik Wumao
Avellone has certainly fallen far. This looks like that platformer about transexuals that was released a few months back.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imagine judging a game by how shiny its graffics look on the Codex then going back to playing Wizardry 2 lul

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Imagine judging a game by how shiny its graffics look on the Codex then going back to playing Wizardry 2 lul
Well, I played it yesterday for about an hour. Nothing interesting to report. It was the same 2-3 "puzzles" over and over again.

I think the male character's sprite is atrociously bad. For a main character, that's just hack work.

One thing that picked my interest was this: when you jump with one character over the other, forcing half the screen to redraw from winter to summer on the fly, I had 45-50 fps at times. And I have an RTX 2080. That I certainly found hilarious.

Murk

Arcane
This art style bugs the shit out of me, same one used in double-fine's game or in that child of light game. It looks like a static image that is stretched, like fancier version of how Southpark is animated.

I can't recall what it's called, I want to say 'tweening'? Anyway, it sucks.

Mustawd

It looks like a static image that is stretched, like fancier version of how Southpark is animated.

I think it’s a 2D image that has had a skeleton added and animated in that program using that skeleton. So it’s basically a poor man’s way to animate for non 2D animators.

Murk

Arcane
It looks like a static image that is stretched, like fancier version of how Southpark is animated.

I think it’s a 2D image that has had a skeleton added and animated in that program using that skeleton. So it’s basically a poor man’s way to animate for non 2D animators.

Yes, that very well describes it. Is there a specific name for that style?

It reminds me of when you would make a paper-doll as a child and use tacks to connect limbs/joints so you could "move the arms", like this:

iu

Though I'd rather see actual paper-doll animation that what we end up with in these games.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Aren't developers now just paying Avellone for the right to mention his name in the description to market their games?

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
It reminds me of when you would make a paper-doll as a child and use tacks to connect limbs/joints so you could "move the arms", like this:

iu

Though I'd rather see actual paper-doll animation that what we end up with in these games.
I thought Scribblenauts was the only game to do this thing and I never liked that. I do not understand why someone would do this instead of just invest some time to learn how to do 2D animation(given that has so many sources to learn it out there). It would look both better and smooth.

Mustawd

It can take years to learn how to animate well. In the meantime, this tool gives you workable results and ppl will forgive it because you’re an indie.

The expense of animated 2D is one of the reasons the Coles delayed Hero U, as they ended up switching to 3D.

EDIT: I meant years to learn 2D animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

The expense of animated 2D is one of the reasons the Coles delayed Hero U, as they ended up switching to 3D.

The Coles then ran into problems trying to do 2D animation within Unity. “We couldn’t find any good programs to animate characters as good as the old Sierra style from 20 years ago,” says Lori. “And we couldn’t find anyone who specialized in 2D animation anymore. We wanted to put out a quality product, and that meant going 3D. By the time we did the second Kickstarter campaign, we were fully committed to producing a 3D game, which meant recreating art and hiring 3D artists.”

link

“Couldn’t find 2D animators” is obviously meant as “Couldn’t find them cheap”.

This game reminds me of the Trine series

Was fun playing it with my brother.

Think this is the same thing

Generic-Giant-Spider

My heterosexuality prevents me from trying to open the Steam store page for this. Help.

deama

Prophet
Aww it's so sad...:( they will never be together...:cry:

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I believe only relatively few talented and dedicated people can actually make good animation. It takes more than invest some time learning from online sources to make something this good:

Even Cuphead, which looks like they actually put real effort on it, still cuts a lot of corners in their animation.

Viata

Arcane
I believe only relatively few talented and dedicated people can actually make good animation.
I disagree. Anyone can learn it, but people don't want to learn things that takes time. Sure, there are people that learn faster, but they are not "the only people that can do it".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom