Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Delay for shinier Witcher

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

It appears that the Enchanced Edition of <A href="http://www.thewitcher.com/">The Witcher</a> will take a little more time to bake per this <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/494.html">news item</a> on their site. Here's the clip so you can waste our bandwidth and not theirs:
<br>
<blockquote>CD Projekt RED announces that the release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition has been delayed. The delay can be attributed to the company’s goal of making The Witcher: Enhanced Edition as close to a flawless product as possible. CD Projekt RED is dedicated to a simultaneous worldwide launch, and is taking the extra time to polish each language version to meet the high standards of the global games market. The exact date of the premiere of the Enhanced Edition will be announced in the upcoming days.
<br>
<br>
CD Projekt RED decided to edit some language versions to meet the highest standards. Work continues on the English version, in which a significant amount of dialogue is being re-recorded and over 5000 lines of the script were rewritten, as well as the German version, in which the translation is being improved and many characters are receiving new voice-overs.
<br>
<br>
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be free of the majority of criticisms noted by fans and media in the original version of the game. The enhancements cover two major areas: removing technical issues (loading times will be reduced by 80%, stability of the game on various operating systems will be improved, and numerous improvements will be made to enhance fighting precision) and the aforementioned changes in language versions. Additionally, the product will ship to retail in a value-packed bundle that includes all language versions on a single master disc, the D’jinni Adventure Editor and two official adventures, the official soundtrack, an album of music inspired by The Witcher, a game guide, a map of The Witcher’s world and more. All of the enhancements will be available as a free download to existing game owners.
<br>
<br>
The exact date of the premiere of the Enhanced Edition will be announced in the upcoming days.</blockquote>
<br>
Since I still have yet to buy this game, I think I'll hold off buying the game until the enhanced version comes along. Makes installing things nice and easy.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Fez

Erudite
As this is all about making the original game into a perfectly polished one I don't mind delays too much. I was playing through The Witcher and stopped when I heard about this. I'd rather play the enhanced edition first time to get the best of it too. If they impress me enough, I may buy the super-duper ultimate edition or whatever they are going to call it.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I'm also holding out for this edition which means when I buy it I'll probably not get around to playing till spring of 2009. Thats how I roll.

fastpunk

Arbiter
While this sucks because I can't wait to play the game, it's also good because they seem to be putting a lot of effort into this. So go CD Projekt, go!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And the best thing: It's fucking free for everyone who bought the game!

That's right, Bethesda, horse armor pay-content up your arse!

cardtrick

Arbiter
On the one hand, I think the fact that CDPR is doing this and releasing it for free is great, and I want to suck their collective cock just as much as the next guy. On the other hand . . .

Saint_Proverbius said:
to meet the high standards of the global games market
. . .

pkt-zer0

Scholar
CD Projekt RED decided to edit some language versions to meet the highest standards. Work continues on the English version, in which a significant amount of dialogue is being re-recorded and over 5000 lines of the script were rewritten, as well as the German version, in which the translation is being improved and many characters are receiving new voice-overs.

Does that mean that other than the Polish, English and German versions, the rest are still screwed in the writing respect? I'm leaning towards importing at the moment, but a professionally done Hungarian localization would be nice (it's not like such a thing is terribly likely to happen this millenium, though).

At any rate, the rest is still pretty awesome. I wish more developers held themselves to CD Projekt RED's standards of excellence.

Ausir

Arcane
BrainSquirmingLikeAToad said:
I wish they would port this to the 360.

They very likely will. They were looking for 360 and PS3 programmers some time ago.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I will probably pick this up when it comes out. I haven't played this game yet, but I like what I have heard about it. This is one of the best things that I have heard a developer doing for their game post release. Free stuff for those who already bought it and enough reason to push those who didn't pick it up at the initial release into buying it.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
pkt-zer0 said:

Does that mean that other than the Polish, English and German versions, the rest are still screwed in the writing respect?
The Russian publisher said that the translation will be improved in Enhanced Edition. I believe CDPR named the most atrocious ones.

dragonfk

Erudite
Ausir said:
I wish they would port this to the 360.

They very likely will. They were looking for 360 and PS3 programmers some time ago.

Where did you read this?

There was an annoucement on their site concerning job for programmers with programming for XBOX experience or smth like that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Witcher is a perfect console game - really I had a feeling that it was originally made for consoles when playing it. mostly because of the dull hack'n'slash and new cool OTS camera which is rather a console trend.
though the storyline and large amounts of C&C in the second part of the game were nice. maybe the porting will show console tards how you put RPG back in aRPG.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
skyway said:
The Witcher is a perfect console game - really I had a feeling that it was originally made for consoles when playing it. mostly because of the dull hack'n'slash and new cool OTS camera which is rather a console trend.
though the storyline and large amounts of C&C in the second part of the game were nice. maybe the porting will show console tards how you put RPG back in aRPG.

Combat.Was.Not.Dull.Period.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Sir_Brennus said:
skyway said:

Combat.Was.Not.Dull.Period.

I hate to agree with Sir Brennus (why is that anyway?), but . . . yeah, combat really wasn't dull. Repetitive, sure, I'll buy that, but it was pretty damn fun, especially compared to pretty much any other melee-focused action RPG.

youhomofo

Augur
I was getting more and more pissed as I read this article. That is until the last paragraph when it states that the enhanced version will be available free for those who all ready own the game.

Kudos goes to the developers for not being dickheads.

Dandelion

Novice
JarlFrank said:
And the best thing: It's fucking free for everyone who bought the game!

That's right, Bethesda, horse armor pay-content up your arse!
Yep :)...not to mention all the dialogues rewriting and re-recording: I think this is the 1st time I see a thing like that in the "videogaming world"...you know, bethesda would have left their dialogues as shitty as they're in oblivion, and only added shiny graphic, horses, supermutants and useless things like that.. :?

I think i could be crazy enough to buy the game *again*..the work of those guys needs to be supported, imho..at least they show some respect for their customers and (above all) are trying to raise the "new gen RPGs" average quality above that disgusting "oblivion-trend".. :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dandelion said:
I think i could be crazy enough to buy the game *again*..the work of those guys need to be supported, imho..at least they show some respect for their customers and (above all) are trying to raise the "new gen RPGs" average quality above that disgusting "oblivion-trend".. :roll:

Oh yes. Witcher was one game I didn't even think about torrenting [just like with indie games], and now it proved that it was the right decision. I begin to like those Poles, even though I still think Eastern Prussia should belong to us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom